Core Splitting

I just noticed a split in the core in the thumbHole of my EPX
I know this ball has a reputation for this sort of thing and have sort of been expecting it
Can anything be done or is it a bin job.

Attachments

• epx.jpg
    epx.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 16
  • epx1.jpg
    epx1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 17
depends really. There isn't any telling how far the crack ventures. If it was only small, i would suggest drilling the crack out & plugging it up, then redoing your thumb hole. I guess if you really wanted to go far out, you could drill it out using your largest drill bit at max depth to see how advanced the crack is, then do a plug job.

best bet would be to plug the thumb as it is so the plugging seeps into and fills the crack and then put a thumb slug into the ball when you redrill it....make sure your plugging is warm before you pour it in so you make sure it seeps into the crack....also after pouring the plugging mix in, tap the ball in various spots with a rubber mallet to dislodge any air caught......my 20 cents worth....

I was under the impression that plugging the crack will only fill it - meanwhile the crack will continue to spread after the plugging has hardened. Would be something to experiment with.

Has it affected the performance of the ball? (Being an EPX, a cynic might ask how you could tell, lol)? If not, why do anything?

I'm with Robbie, leave it alone, unless it is irritating the Thumb. I doubt it will spread and it won't spread to the casing.

willey

I wouldn't touch the ball. If you pour plugging into the ball and it fills the crack, what you risk is as the plugging is expanding and contracting when setting, is the crack being forced open from the inside.

I tested this on an AMF titan once. The ball cracked the entire diameter, rendering the ball useless.

I would suggest using the ball until/if it cracks, then getting a new ball.

Thanks all
I Think Ill just keep using it and see what happens
Someone suggested I get it drilled out to see how far it has gone then plug it.

I have actually been using my spares ball lately and getting better results

Tonx I was going to catchup with you next time in over your way as I feel you where right in saying the ball hasn't been set up properly for me.
(maybe you could sell me a new one lol)

Back
Top Bottom