Cairns Open

H

hamo

Just wanting to find out any scores so far?
It would be greatly appreciated.
HAMO
icon_smile.gif

From what I was told, Robbie Buckley won, Angelo Nucifora was 2nd, and Stephen Hunt from Townsville was 3rd. I have heard nothing else apart from that.

In relation to Cairns Open, it was basically a one horse race with Rob Buckley shooting 425 over the card for 19 games of matchplay. From about game 5 everyone else was fighting for 2nd.

2nd Angelo Nucifora +90
3rd Stephen Hunt +18
4th Trent Bosel -30
5th Damien McAndrew -50

The conditions were tough, but if you were good enough then you got the scores. To be brutally honest Robbie was the only one who deserved to win, and it was good to see the best bowler over the whole weekend take out the title.

In relation to the tournament itself, it was run absolutely superbly. Gavin Third, Barry Park and the rest of the association should be mighty proud of their efforts as they ran a highly professional, yet fun and entertaining tournament.

For those thinking about coming next year, mark it on your calender as it is a great tourney where you can meet some really great people and test your ability on lanes that are not set up for unrealistic high scores. Basically with Cairns lanes if you are good enough then you will get results.

This year I wasn't good enough, so I will be working extra hard to take the cash next year.

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Funky Chicken

I'm not sure where you keep getting these un realistic scores from. If you saw the scores from SA they were extremely low. It was the toughest pattern I have bowled on since Malaysia in March 2001 and represented the fairest condition Australians have ever bowled on. It went to show how good we really are. The guys who bowled well scored accordingly, everyone in the entire field of 96 managed to bowl at least 1 game under 160 at some stage. It was tough.

I would encourage you to come down to the Australian Open at Easter and bowl in a Nationally rated event and see how you fair. Irrelevant of the condition, you will have to be at the top of your game to mix it down south. I don't set the conditions, I just bowl on what is given to me and I can assure you the AO will be tough!

You never know either, if you make the top 3 after qualifying based on there points system you can even make the Australia FIQ team. Hope you can make it, if not, the Brisbane Cup should be a must bowl in May.

Congrats to Robbie for his win, good to see you break through.

Here are the final scores from Cairns (with qual. averages for those I can remember):

Pos Q.pos. Name Wins Mtch. Ave.
1 1 (220) Rob Buckley 18 223
2 2 (218) Angelo Nucifora 13 205
3 3 (206) Steven Hunt 14 200
4 4 (203?) Trent Bosel 14 198
5 9 Damien McAndrew 13 197
6 8 John Dunn 12 196
7 6 (200) John Wilk (D.C.) 8 196
8 7 Wade Jones (Jnr) 12 190
9 10 Ian Hughes 9 188
10 13 (192) Peppi Prior 11 185
11 12 Shane Rossberg 9 186
12 5 Peter Bryant (L) 7 188
13 15 (189) Zach Waters (Jnr) 9 184
14 11 Mick Fenech 7 174
15 14 (190) Gavin Third 6 174
16 17 Suzanne Terrahe 8 171
17 18 Pam Dowling 5 173
18 16 Madeleine Hill 6 170
19 19 (169) Leanne Nastasi 4 170
20 19 (169) Karen Temme 5 165

Low Qualifier (15th) in the mens division was Townsville junior Zach Waters, at 120-odd under, with Peter Cottam from Hervey Bay just missing out with -130. For the women, top qualifier was Pam Dowling (173 average I think) with a tie for 4th between Leanne Nastasi & Karen Temme on 169 ave. Townsville junior Rebecca Waters missed the cut by 3 pins, making the ladies field an all-local affair. Suzanne overtook Pam late in the matchplay to pick up the $500 for highest placed lady by just 28 pins.
With 30' of oil laid out, the lanes played fairly dry for the early squad on Sunday (not as dry as last year though). They were dragged & oiled before the second squad, and again before the 5 games of matchplay on Sunday night. By then they were pretty slick by Queensland standards, especially the low end (lanes 1-8). For the 14 games on Monday, they were dryish and a bit tight early. After 5 or 6 games though, they started to open up if you could swing it and still get it back through the carrydown. Again, 1 to 8 played a lot straighter, and most of the locals struggled at that end.
As Funky Chicken said, the overall organisation and running of the tournament was superb. Both the Association, which handled the running of the event, and Quentin and his staff at Cairns Goldpin deserve a huge pat on the back for a great job. They had 62 bowlers in the event this year, up by 20 from last year, and with the work these guys put in getting sponsors and coverage, it should be even bigger next year.
Rob.

George,

First off congratulations on your new bub, hope all is going well and you are getting some sleep.

In relation to my statement on unrealistic scoring conditions, I wasn't generalising and saying that all southern centres are this way. I was just referring to a number of centres that I know have conditions that would make "Harvey Watkins" look like a PBA pro. You are absolutely right when you say that you only bowl on what is put down by each individual centre, but something that is a bit challenging usually sorts out the contenders from the pretenders.

I will DEFINATELY be at Koolfoam, as I believe they are going to have a huge turn out this year so it should be excellent. Especially as I have given up on Visionary, and have gone back to my old favourites "Hammer". I have just got the new "Truck" and it goes really well (even hooks 3 boards with 2+ revs).

Drop me an email at [email protected] if any tournaments come up during the year that are worth coming down for.

Steve
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom