2006 Cairns Open

Ice said:
Well, actually there are separate sponsors for men and women's divisions. I guess those sponsors realised just how hard it is to get a womens division up and running and threw their support behind it, which is fantastic I think. In 2005 I bowled every Open between Cairns and Mackay and not one separate Ladies division, this is a step forward for female bowlers.....and well overdue.

Yes a huge step, great odds i suppose if you’re a woman bowling in this event.
Maybe a sex change is in order before next week for a couple of us men.
I see it money for jam for a handful of woman bowling. I am not too sure why with only that many women bowling and that sort of prize fund on offer that more people from Brisbane don’t make the trip.
I have seen alot of top heavy prize funds but really not sure how to describe this one. But anyways we all live and learn.

And to be honest if it’s long over due why it isn’t well supported?????

Well, when you find a good Dr to do your sex change post his details because many Ladies will need them before bowling in every other Open in Nth Queensland!;)

I don't know why everytime somebody in QLD North tries to host a ladies only event it is not well supported.:confused:

Besides, I am sure the ladies numbers will rise considerably from the 16 you quoted in the next couple of weeks as I know of several who have not yet put in their entry.

Ice said:
Just what are you suggesting??? .

For a Nationally ranked tournament this prize fund really needs to be reassessed.

I think that is what i was suggesting.

Ice said:
Besides, I am sure the ladies numbers will rise considerably from the 16 you quoted in the next couple of weeks as I know of several who have not yet put in their entry.

I know of several bowlers also that dont have there name down that doesn't mean they will be bowling.

And i would suggest that the people that you know who haven’t got there name down, better get it down this week, because if they wait the couple of weeks that you seem to think they have they should book flights to Adelaide as Cairns will be over.

This is interesting but i must say that i agree with Jase. It is very hard to promote these types of tournemants of low prize funds and higher entry fees to the southern bowlers as in this case they need to finish second or third to break even thats a bit harsh. Im coming to the event but i always do support cairns. But if i lived in Brissy or Goldcoast then it would not be feesable for me to come. Just my opionion and i am entitled to that.

I too have to agree with Jason & Sam, as much as i would love to come to Cairns, I cant justify the cost with the entry fee & prize fund the way it is.

At last check:

80 entries
30 people getting paid .....

That works out to more than 1:3

What really is a shame to me is that when good people put in the effort to hold a tournament with seperate divisions, in an attempt to encourage more women bowlers, they are criticised. :confused:

We had booked our airfares and accomodation and sadly had to cancel due to injury, but otherwise we would have been there to support the tournament.

I hope that this years tournament is a great success and that the format is retained for next year.

Good luck to all those who are bowling.

Joyce Mazzoni

Addicted said:
At last check:
80 entries
30 people getting paid .....
That works out to more than 1:3
Joyce Mazzoni

It actually works out to be 1:3 for men, and 1:2 to Women.
I can see why ure upset to not be going with those odds. As Jase said, where can we get that sex change:p

Back
Top Bottom