Bronze, Silver and GOLD patterns!

Should we have Bronze, Silver and GOLD patterns for 300 Games!

• YES I DO LIKE THE IDEA

Votes: 83 52.2%
  • NO I DONT LIKE THE IDEA

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • YES/NO. Some parts i like, some parts i dont!

Votes: 45 28.3%

• Total voters
Ok here is my angle with all this!
Those who dont like the sound of bronze, silver and gold, (because it RANKS each level) are you disliking it because your 300's are/have been bowled on a bronze lane pattern. Thus making it sound like your 300 is worth less than that of say the one I bowled at the High Roller??

I dont like the bronze/silver/gold and i haven't made it to 300 (299 is my best) But to me it does sound as though those rankings do make the house 300's worth less..

Dont get me wrong I support the idea as there are different levels of bowling, which i think is perhaps a better way to describe the levels.. so personally feel my suggestion of just calling them a league 300, state 300 and a international 300, (maybe the titles could be league, tournament, national.. ) would be better suited.

As you would well know and described in your last post some people only bowl their weekly league and to them thats as far as they will go, want to go, and in some cases all they can afford to do, you know as well as anyone here that the cost of bowling tournaments adds up quickly.... so making them feel their 300 is a only worth bronze to me is a bit harsh. Where as calling it a league 300 doesnt take any of the gloss off it.

Dont get me wrong I support the idea as there are different levels of bowling, which i think is perhaps a better way to describe the levels.. so personally feel my suggestion of just calling them a league 300, state 300 and a international 300, (maybe the titles could be league, tournament, national.. ) would be better suited.

So now every league pattern is easy? Every Tournament pattern is medium difficulty? And every 'International' Tournament must be difficult?

No, this is wrong. IF a tournament wants to lay a ditch, then Kudos to them. They get a Bronze Tournament. If they want to lay a Sport Pattern, where the bowlers have to work hard and make the correct decisions then they get a Gold rated event.

I completely agree with everything Belmo has said about the topic. We just may need to rank these accomplishments. It creates more understanding of the game for the guys and gals who just show up once a week and then see a tournament at their house on a harder pattern and think these guys are rubbish. With a simple Gold and Bronze they can understand. Centres can even run Bronze league nights, or Gold league nights. It give people something to strive towards. Holding that bronze 170 average on the Silver patterns. Then onto the Gold.

I had a Sport Series at my home centre and a few of the locals had always wanted to see Belmo bowl. I told them he was coming and explained to them what they were bowling on. It was that simple, they understood the difference between the averages just by hearing what I had said then going to watch the tournament themselves.

I'm all for it.

Later Da Cowman!

I agree with Cowman, not every centre has the same oil pattern, they all differ from center to center. as for tournaments, look at the junior nationals this year. I must admit, as a person that bowled on it, it wasn't as hard as last year, they could've easily laid down something more challenging, yet there are house tournaments out there that most bowlers at nationals would struggle on cause of the pattern.

Well maybe the patterns should be labeled that way but the 300's shouldn't.
If you want to label 300's then it shouldn't be in a derogatory way.

I like the concept though would be concerned over how it could be effectively policed. That is a completely separate argument.

On the semantics of the grading levels I agree that gold, silver, and bronze may not be the right terminology. I also agree that having league, tournament, or national is also misleading nor apply correctly to the scenario. Perhaps the easiest solution is to simply call them grades, ie. grade A/B/C that way they can apply to whatever the competition is and also does not look like a medal.

Concept though is good.

Hi all, I do see all the points and could even agree to all BUT, I am a averege joe so if and when I ever bowl a 300 in league which is all I bowl in,I tell you now ill be telling every one that I bowled a 300 yehhh.When someone asked jason how manny gold silver bronze 300's have you bowled he will be able to tell you. My point LEAVE JOES 300 ALONE.

Belmo I think this is the best idea to be posted to the forum in a long time and let's hope the TBA look into the merits of its implementation. I think it is a great way to solve a very real problem with the sport of bowling at present.

Properly researched and implemented it would provide a way for all to be able to put their honor roll achievement in a comparative perspective that in no way lessens the bowlers sense of achievement.

I Don't like it all. I have been bowling 20 years now & for someone to say to me now Your 300 that you have been trying for so long & finally achived is only Bronze 300 - no-way.:confused::confused:

To me it is degarding peoples achivements. Lets face it not everyone has the oportunity to bowl in national or state level tournaments. Finally they get that coverted 300 & someone says is a pity its only a bronze level your good but not that good.

Or you bowled that 300 at National (gold level) all the strikes went thru the nose or where just plain lucky and they get the Gold 300.:confused:

You guys have really got to get over yourselves......

If you think for one minute that a league ( bumper bowling) 300 is worth the same as a 300 bowled while representing your State ( in all competitions ) or bowling for Australia at any level.....then we as a sport are just doomed......WHERE is your pride, just about anyone nowadays with some knowledge of bowling ( and hook in a box balls) can throw the ball right or left (THS)and watch it bounce back and hit the pocket, and if the gods are with you on the night you score a 300,hey and take nothing away from them....mate its still sensational and you should be jumping over the moon, but PLEASE dont try and compare it to State and Australian representation when the pressure is on all the time to score,there just is no comparison.

And for those that say not all people have the chance to travel and bowl in tournaments...yea right ,they choose not to!!!!!!!Especially with the amount of small tournies in each state nowadays.

Cheers

Paul K.

How about we have a 300 award for reactive and one for non-reative bowling balls......

I bettcha I know which one will be the highest!

cheers

Tony

You guys have really got to get over yourselves......
If you think for one minute that a league ( bumper bowling) 300 is worth the same as a 300 bowled while representing your State ( in all competitions ) or bowling for Australia at any level.....then we as a sport are just doomed......WHERE is your pride, just about anyone nowadays with some knowledge of bowling ( and hook in a box balls) can throw the ball right or left (THS)and watch it bounce back and hit the pocket, and if the gods are with you on the night you score a 300,hey and take nothing away from them....mate its still sensational and you should be jumping over the moon, but PLEASE dont try and compare it to State and Australian representation when the pressure is on all the time to score,there just is no comparison.
And for those that say not all people have the chance to travel and bowl in tournaments...yea right ,they choose not to!!!!!!!Especially with the amount of small tournies in each state nowadays.
Cheers
Paul K.

Which Guys are you talking about?

And how many times have you been in that situation?

Dave :)

Mate i have lived and breathed Bowling thru my son for 12 years, i have also Managed and coached State and Australian Teams in that period,I believe i no the difference and the pressure that is on a bowler at league , State and Australian level.

Which guys?????

The ones that seem to think that all 300's are equall.

Cheers

Paul K.

Honestly I believe there is a big difference - But I do not think there should levels of 300's - it takes the right combition of skill & luck in any situation - State, National and League - what falls on one day - won't the next.

Dave

I Don't like it all. I have been bowling 20 years now & for someone to say to me now Your 300 that you have been trying for so long & finally achived is only Bronze 300 - no-way.:confused::confused:
To me it is degarding peoples achivements. Lets face it not everyone has the oportunity to bowl in national or state level tournaments. Finally they get that coverted 300 & someone says is a pity its only a bronze level your good but not that good.
Or you bowled that 300 at National (gold level) all the strikes went thru the nose or where just plain lucky and they get the Gold 300.:confused:
Don't get caught up in the terminology being bandied about, rather look at the concept.
The concept is to allow all to celebrate achievement whilst acknowledging the level of that achievement relative to the environment it was achieved within.
Lets take examples from other sports:
  • A driver wins a sprint race at Eastern Creek by half a lap << well done and a good drive
  • A driver wins the 1000 at Bathurst by 5 seconds << What a legend
  • A horse wins the 8th at Kembla Grange by 12 lengths << well done and a good run
  • A horse wins the Melbourne Cup by a nose << what a wonderful performance
  • Hussey gets 200 in Pura Cup << well done
  • Hussey gets 150 in a Test played in India << what a legend
What makes the second accomplishment more celebrated than the other is the conditions under which they were earned. In all examples the winners no doubt all celebrated the achievements and quite correctly so.
As for the example that someone gets rewarded for going through the nose and getting lucky for the majority of the time, well lets consider that "Doing a Bradbury". Remember he was the Australian ice skater that won a gold medal after all the other competitors fell over. Luck is always present in sport and can not be factored, whereas conditions (once known) can be easily.
Also, by conditions I do not believe that oil condition is the sole factor that should be used. It is though a major and easily qualified factor.

Just a reminder:

Bronze, silver and gold does not refer to just league, tournaments and international event.......IT refers to the LANE PATTERN!
This will give league bowlers the option of bowling a league in their own house with a pattern of a SILVER or GOLD level!

Keep coming in with some ideas and I know we can find a way for this to work!

Belmo

This will give league bowlers the option of bowling a league in their own house with a pattern of a SILVER or GOLD level!
Belmo

I wish - most of the time they can't even get same conditions week to week :). I Would not be happy if I thought I was bowling on Gold only to get the lanes checked after a 300 and find out it was only silver :mad:.

I see what you are trying to say/do - but i don't see how it would be policed.

How to police it??

That is where the problem is.

An idea is simply have a range of ratio's in which the patterns can be assessed.
When an honour score is bowled proof that the lane pattern has been assessed (again not sure how, just brain storming) and proof of the ratio of that pattern.

Example

7-1 to beyond is a BRONZE

3-1 to 6-1 SILVER

1-1 to 2-1 GOLD!

It really doesn't matter what pattern you lay down as long as it fits into a category!

If your score of 300 was bowled on a Gold, but turns out to be Silver, thats something you have to take up with management!

Just an idea!

Belmo

I do agree that lane conditions could be named bronze, silver or gold.
As long as the 300 doesnt carry the title, but the bowler will themselves know it was bowled on a silver pattern for example.

Again policing is an issue, and i guess the lanes can potentially be altered everytime the lanes are done really so the accreditation type thing becomes difficult especially out in a country centre.

Back
Top Bottom