Bronze, Silver and GOLD patterns!

Should we have Bronze, Silver and GOLD patterns for 300 Games!

• YES I DO LIKE THE IDEA

Votes: 83 52.2%
  • NO I DONT LIKE THE IDEA

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • YES/NO. Some parts i like, some parts i dont!

Votes: 45 28.3%

• Total voters
Definately not an ultimate answer here. But maybe, we have to actually set standards for centres who want to hold an event. The lanes must but up to a certain standard and using a oiling machine and oil that is accepted.
You won't find Major Golf tournaments played without grass in the fairway would you? Why can't bowling centres live up to expectations as well???
Later Da Cowman!
Money.

Not all centres can afford a kegel, new synthetic lanes etc
People a talking about any centre being able to be accredited for the so called gold pattern, but if what you say is right then not all centres can be accredited for all patterns which isnt really fair.

below is a simple solution for the centre who don't employ a machine with wickless technology.

If your oiling machine has been modified by either using a shim or by cutting your brushes, then your rating would be BRONZE.

If no modifications have been made to the oiling machine, then you get a SILVER rating

Good on you Mate......down to name calling are we!!!!!!!!!
I have been coaching a South Australian state team now for a few years in both Youth and Rachuig and go away regularly and pay the same amount less bowling fee's as the bowlers,so dont tell me to have a look at reality..
I save and funraise all year long to take the teams away,and yes i have a mortgage and kids at home and bills like the rest of us...and it all boils down to wanting something bad enough and not just crying about it.
As for tournaments....its called planning,sharing costs and saving, I never said that it was not expensive,I just said .... WE ALL HAVE A CHOICE!!!!..it just depends on how much you are prepared to give up for your SPORT.
Cheers
Paul K.

We all have a choice? Tell that to the people in this area struggling because of the way things are with water, tell it to the people with a mortgage, kids etc who get by week to week because only one of the couple has a job. Tell it to those who are unemployed by manage to get enough money to bowl because they love the sport. Even business owners are having issues.

I can afford a few trips away each year so it doesnt affect me but there are many who can't afford it so don't try telling me that everyone has a choice.

We all have a choice? Tell that to the people in this area struggling because of the way things are with water, tell it to the people with a mortgage, kids etc who get by week to week because only one of the couple has a job. Tell it to those who are unemployed by manage to get enough money to bowl because they love the sport. Even business owners are having issues.
I can afford a few trips away each year so it doesnt affect me but there are many who can't afford it so don't try telling me that everyone has a choice.

I meet one of these criterias & if I was playing at a level where I could compete in Tournaments I would be so heartbroken that my financial situation was the reason I could not attend. In fact, I believe my partner is hoping to once again start playing Tourney's however given our current situation, this won't be happening anytime soon :(

Money.
Not all centres can afford a kegel, new synthetic lanes etc
People a talking about any centre being able to be accredited for the so called gold pattern, but if what you say is right then not all centres can be accredited for all patterns which isnt really fair.

So it's not fair that the last golf course I played on (Which for arguments sake was in Latrobe Valley) can't hold the Australian Open because it barely lived up to our expectations as social hackers. Let alone the standard required to host such a coveted event??? They should but... Your right.

It's simple. The centres that have the sources to hold the events can. Maybe, just maybe. If you look far enough down the track. When Bowling is seen as a Sport which requires you to hit 2-4 boards at your breakpoint not 12-14. When social bowlers respect our sport for how hard and demanding it CAN be. When sponsorship comes in because companies want to be associated with our Sport. That the advertising and sponsorship revenue would be enticing enough for centre to upgrade their lanes and/or oiling machine???

Just maybe. It's not going to happen in the current climate. Mainly because most of the bowlers hardley respect the oil patterns in league and most tournaments. How can we expect everyone else to???

Later Da Cowman!

If they did get harder i dont think they would get 'respected' in a different way. Unless a rule came in making it a conduct violation i think Australian bowlers will eventually learn to 'burn' a line in practice to create area that isnt 'supposed' to be there!! Maybe i can get rich in a few yrs selling everyone 80 grit paper!! :D

I guess no matter what system you put in place their is always someone who attempts to beat it or wants to bring it down.

The important thing here is to get a system in place that is clear and unambiguous that every one can both understand and relate to. Then work from there.

There are always going to be some teething problems so the implementation needs to be sensible and allow for consultation in the initial setup phase to address issues that only become apparent at that stage openly and fairly.

This way we could establish something that brings a sense of value to all honour roll scores regardless of the conditions they were bowled under.

Lets just say for a starting point that something could be put in place for state and national events. These patterns would have to be down to a set standard and If you bowled on these patterns and bowled a 300 you would get a state 300 or national 300 depending on the tournment. Not a bronze or so on. As I think this is the wrong way about it. I dont have a answer for what to do with leagues I think it would be hard to police But we could at least try and start with national and state events?

Great idea Belmo - I think we need to get more people involved in the measurement of the condition - we are not able to monitor conditions sufficiently at present - Just making sure each state has lane measuring equipment available and a team of people who measure the oil before and after so that the checks and measures systems occur - I do know TBA will be looking to offer checks and measures for ranked tournaments in the future. The 300 tier concept and nominating a level of difficulty to execute the score does make bowlers appreciate the skill required to achieve this great score -

Bowlers do not differentiate between one 300 or another - possibly use your idea Belmo and when the 300 is bowled at National events or achieved by Aussie bowlers overseas when the condition is listed as a true tournament condition we throw a nice little diamond into the 300 ring or two diamond chips for an international 300. Gail

Bronze, Silver and GOLD patterns
a load of nonsense firstly bowling centres are there to make money not cater for the elite few who by the way have no loyalty to the centre they bowl in unless they get there way. The TBAL should not spend their time worrying about house patterns, only championships & major tournaments(maybe) their role is to promote the sport so it can grow.
regarding tournaments
golf courses have 18 different holes with varying degrees of difficulty, narrow fairway, trees, heavy rough, bunkers & greens that are undulating some greens faster than others with pin placements requiring perfect putting you don't have an AREA. bowling centres have app 24 lanes they have modern oiling machines which can lay down many different patterns why then in major tournaments they don't place a different pattern on each lane NOT PAIR & make lane change after EACH game during qualyfying & same in final this will create the challenge required then perhaps you would get a true champion & a measure of the bowlers ability
that's my 2 cents worth

Any 300 bowled at Melton should immediately qualify for "PLATINUM" status. Just ask Adam or Russo.

Also on this topic, although I agree with concept that Belmo has raised, should we start considering how often people bowl (3 games a week compared to 30+ games per week), or perhaps peoples natural ability / average (12 year old with 127 av vs. 35 year old with 215 av).

This is a great topic with endless points for discussion. It's interesting to see so many differing opinions.

Stay Classy !!!
Bigsy...

Hi All
If someone has a spare 300 game (cos I haven't bowled one yet), can ya lend it to me then I can join this discussion.

Cheers
Mick

Bronze, Silver and GOLD patterns

golf courses have 18 different holes with varying degrees of difficulty, narrow fairway, trees, heavy rough, bunkers & greens that are undulating some greens faster than others with pin placements requiring perfect putting you don't have an AREA. bowling centres have app 24 lanes they have modern oiling machines which can lay down many different patterns why then in major tournaments they don't place a different pattern on each lane NOT PAIR & make lane change after EACH game during qualyfying & same in final this will create the challenge required then perhaps you would get a true champion & a measure of the bowlers ability
that's my 2 cents worth

few reasons. it actually takes a period of time for one condition to burn in and settle down on the lane. If you try changing the condition per lane, then the results be be less than shocking, lol. the best you could probably do (with one machine) is oil 1 lane on each pair, then change the pattern & dress the second lane per pair. Can still guarantee that each pair would play different anyways, even if it's only a little bit.

besides, I believe they did this (or something similar) in the PBA event which belmo won, right?

this isn't golf, but it's still an interesting concept!

few reasons. it actually takes a period of time for one condition to burn in and settle down on the lane. If you try changing the condition per lane, then the results be be less than shocking, lol. the best you could probably do (with one machine) is oil 1 lane on each pair, then change the pattern & dress the second lane per pair. Can still guarantee that each pair would play different anyways, even if it's only a little bit.

besides, I believe they did this (or something similar) in the PBA event which belmo won, right?

this isn't golf, but it's still an interesting concept!

The PBA uses a Brunswick Authority22 lane conditioning machine which, because it sprays the oil directly onto the lane with a spray jet for each board, they can create a different pattern for each lane.

The Long Islanf Open, which Belmo won, had it's qualifying structured so the bowlers had one squad on the long pattern and then one squad on the short. The onlly times they had alternating patterns on the pair was during the Knockout Rounds and Stepladder, again only the A22 eould be able to do this without extreme inconvenience.

Ahh yes, I see. Do we have any Authority22's in Australia? Maybe we should start looking at doing something like this

This thread has been going for a long time. I’d not seen it previously, and I find it a bit surprising that it can have been commented on by so MANY, who between them have said so MUCH, but common logic has been applied by so FEW.

To get a true picture, I have read every post. The golfing comparisons are at best humorous. Every golf hole in the world is completely different from every other golf hole in the world. That would be interesting transferred to bowling lanes. Wouldn’t need to bother grading the 300s that would be bowled. EVERY hole-in-one in golf is a fluke. Not every 300 is.
There is one point of similarity between golf and bowling. They both use a ball as an essential part of the game.

Looking at the numbers of 300 games bowled, in different periods ( from 1961 when bowling started in Australia, until 1988, when my records stop. ), I wonder if anyone might see some other cause of the increase in frequency ?

Below are the numbers. TBA has an up to date listing, but I can’t find it. If any one else can find it, it makes the following numbers look pretty ordinary. It must co-incide with something other than oiling pattens. What could it be?

10 years from 1961 – 16 300s
Next 10 years -------- 32 300s
Next 7 years -------- 87 300s

It looks like something is changing. WHAT CAN IT BE??

By the way, there was, and is, a similar trend in the USA.

Anyhow, while you’re thinking about that, why don’t we look at something like this, to grade 300s. If we must grade them.

Gold. Any 300 bowled in league, by a bowler with an average under 200, who carries a maximum of 2 balls.

Silver Any bowler, in league OR tournament play, who carries a maximum of 3 balls.

Bronze. Any other bowler, in any accredited event.

Wacher reck’n then.Eh ???

Jim,

I suspect you will get a number of lengthy responses to this post - and a good one it is too. My comments are simple and of course hardly go into detail or specifics - but in my view comparing 300 games and holes in one has very little similarity. What can be compared between the two sports however is the abundance of technical changes to equipment over recent years that have made both games easier. In golf they have lengthened many major courses to combat the massive improvement in player performance and in bowling, as you know, sports patterns have been implemented to try and cut back the massive increase in scoring.

In any event the "300 factor" is an interesting litmus test - the "natural" rise in the number of 300 games as the sport evolved in this country was largely due [in my view] to increasing skill levels and increasing numbers of players with ever developing skill levels. A "natural" process of measurable improvement [along with averages of course - but we are talking here about the measurable factor of 300 games].

However this "natural" nature of improvement has been tampered with more recently with the impact of improved technology..........somewhere the "natural" factor was taken over [or possibly set aside] by the "technology factor"..where this was I'm not sure - but maybe 1988 was about it. Someone smarter than me will be better able to pin point it.

Cheers

Steve

My question is when did reactives commence, that made so many look good!

You probably already answered that in your last post Steve!

Goodness, if you two keep this up, I'll be even more convinced that there is some other factor at work, other than the application of lane conditioner!

Who would have thought it?

We had better be careful, though. Some of these multiple 300 shooters ( all Gold of course ) as opposed to those pitiful strugglers, striving for their first bronze one in a league, might get annoyed with us.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom