bowling on tv

After a few big weeks ive got $23.31 left in the old bank account...who do i send it to?:confused:

Im all for helping promote the sport as much as possible just let me know where i can help out and i will for sure;)

What everyone can do right now is get involved in promoting tournaments in your local centre.

Get on Managements back about putting on some local tournaments, it doesn't have to be nationally ranked, or for big money, just something simple to get the punters interested and hooked on tournament bowling.

Offer to help them out with the setup & promotion of the tournament, if you drum up enough interest I'm sure they'll oblige... at least I hope they would...

Basically, spread the word, get people involved. show them what a great sport it is (at tournament level) and let's get a good solid base of tournament bowlers in this country ready to take the next step (when we finally get there)

If we were to ever get the "APBT" off the ground, for it to have any chance it would need at least 150 entries to each and every stop, without exception. personally I think it's do-able, as long as we can develop enough interest in the league bowling community to take that next step in their game and start bowling tournaments...

it's a win-win, they can improve their game, and the sport grows as a bi-product.

Ash said:
xpense, I would be more inclined to use APBT than APBA, as that is the Australian Bowling Proprietors Association.....
APBT - Australian Professional Bowlers Tour works for me....

Try saying that after a few - from a marketing aspect you need something that is easy to say and easy to remember. In America's case, PBA is easy to say. APBT is not, it's the nature of the letters.

You could have just PBT, and drop the A, that makes it slightly better. Or maybe PBS (Professional Bowlers Series). Just a suggestion.
The next step in this whole process is, how do we make it actually happen. There needs to be one or two people in a position to take charge and organise it, and do it soon. Who collects the money, how are you going to collect the money, how exactly is that money going to be distributed, and so forth.

This is the reason why I have nominated TBA as being the responsible party. They are the one that is meant to be promoting the sport, they are the government recognised body of the sport. They have people in positions that are meant to be doing these things and coming up with ideas to advance the sport. I am not saying that we shouldn't take responsibility ourselves, but they should be coordinating the process. If they don't then I can see this just becoming another thread on a forum that in 5 years we will look back at and go "well some people had some great ideas, what happened?"

There are many issues that need to be addressed to make this happen, and it is my strong belief that TBA should be largely behind making it happen. Individuals can create and modify the tournaments and formats, sure, we do that now, but TBA should be talking to TV stations, TBA should be looking at finding ways to raise funds, TBA needs to take action to get this sport moving. A great way to start would be to look at how the state and local associations work with TBA, and fix that system.

the way it would need to be done, is the tour would need to incorporate, right from the get-go. even if it is a non-profit organisation, you can then appoint a board of directors to handle funding and administration of the association.

Asking the TBA to do all the work for us is a no go. It's unforunate, but I'm pretty sure the TBA has no interest in a PBA style tour in this country, they, like so many others have put in the "too hard" basket. and no point asking AMF, they own the TBA, so a double dead end there.

By all means we should align the association with the TBA, to make it offical, but the new association would need to independantly owned and not owned by any company that already has an interest in bowling (i.e. AMF/MLE). it makes it far too easy for them to monopolise it (i.e. AMF/MLE controlling tournaments in this country).

Chances are though, that the TBA would not associate with us for that very reason, becasue we are trying to get control back in the hands of the bowlers, rather than the corporations. The PBA in america is not in any way financially or administratively linked to the ABC/USBC (at least not to my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong) however, I do believe that the USBC does provide some sanctioning to a degree.

This is what we need here. an independant body to control tournament play in this country. That way all centres can become potential tournament hosts, and the administration of the association would have the passion and drive that is required to make it a success.

OK I agree with everything you've said there. TBA will probably not be interested (which is very unfortunate).

So how do we get the funds off the ground? Where is everyone going to send their money? Who's going to keep records? Who's going to open an independent account with joint accessability to ensure nothing untoward is done with the money? Who are those people going to be? And apart from this website, how are we going to publicise the raising of the funds for the purpose in which we are raising them? AMF most likely won't be interested in doing a thing to promote it, so how do we spread the word in centres?

Therein lies the challenge...

you've probably just listed all the reasons why it hasn't yet been done.....

Some great points raised in the last few hours since l was last on.

A couple of things also that will hold this back. You would need a full time staff to organise, promote, collect funds, accounting, sanctioning, entry forms, sourcing of centres and the like.

I have found that trying to arrange the victorian circuit for next year, has taken away any free time l may have. It is very hard work, and to do it on the scale we are talking would require full time staff.

They could then promote the sport via:
Web Sites - This one, plus others in Australia, Advertising banners are availabe on most major companies web sites
Posters in all Centres, including AMF. If you approached each centre personally (maybe get someone from the state rather than travel) you would be able to get these posters put up.
Newspaper advertising - Local Papers and the like

Just some thoughts, but we always come back to who is willing to put in the time, and effort, to get this running, and keep it running. No funds are available to pay that person.....:(

I believe the business, should operate, and no reason for it to be a not for profit, as the business could be a profit making entitiy and then you sell shares to bowlers to bring in funds, pay wages to make this a full time job.

Lets make it good enough to allow members to be able to make a living from the idea, if they are good enough that is.:cool:

ok so how to get the tba and amf involved? lets go with the scenario here

what are we trying to achieve?
a higher profile of our SPORT and to get it back on television with significant sponsorship? well isnt that also the same goal as the tba and amf? to get more recognition and credibility back into our sport?

how do we do this?
who says we need to make it a pro circuit with more tournements than we already have? all we need to be able to do is some how inject more monetry investments into the super 6 and other nationally ranked tournements that exist. that there solves the problem of getting a tour because there it already exists. and by making these tournements have more money and bigger and further down pay outs more people will bowl. when that has been achieved and promoted big company investers looking to get some more voice in the world will actually see that this is worth while investing in because the tournements have such a big player base and also those who go along to watch and support friends and family playing in big events. look at spc how many entries do we get for that tournement because it is such a HUGE tourn in aus to bowl in? I cant see why the other tourns we have cant get to that level. So how to get this actually going? well i feel a few TRUST worthy and known individuals from our sport need to be there to make a seperate part of the tba congress to HELP govern over this investment and make sure EVERY cent is spent accordingly to how the bowlers, tba and investers want it to go. so this leads back to how the pba started. I feel that if we got enough people to go around and keep plugging this idea to as many people as we can in our centres eventually people will see things in our light. not only advertise these proposals to bowling centres but also on here where we can reach other people. all it needs is that 10 dollar on time donation. 20 dollars at the most and no more. i gave my example before, 20 dollars from all members on this site(2776) gives us 55,000+, think of what that can do. its not like we are going around asking for hundreds of dollars or even thousands off people. all that is needed is a small one time donation to get the snow ball to roll and grow into an avalanche.

there is some organisation required yes but i cant see why we cant incorporate the tba and amf into this. maybe their contrabution could be to help keep things running smoothly promote OUR(tba, amf, and bowlers included) series, tour what ever you want to call it.

to me this is only a mole hill to be crossed if we are all dedicated to get it to work. not a mountain.

think about it, in years to come everyone that helped can turn to their children and say, we helped build this. we, along with many others helped build your future in this sport. how many people can say they had a helping hand in doing something that big for their sport? not many retrospectively

I think we should get bowling on TV again and pay for this gorgeous French newsreader Melissa Theuriau to learn fluent English and have her as the presenter - the face of Australian bowling.
The viewership in this country would go through the roof.
doc-38931.jpg

jase_mate said:
she looks nice lol:)
shame she's french! hah! JUST JOKES! ... snail eaters... oops did I say that out loud??:-D
Then again I wouldn't say no if she offered! :p

before I get a myriad of private messages (terry) I was joking! my ex was french, hence the negative conotation - I have nothing against french people! per se and believe it or not nothing against you either Cass!

Who owns the television rights for the bowling?

I think we should all write to them and try to get them to lower the costs of the rights.

doesnt ESPN now have Australian Productions now?
Surely they would pick up bowling in australia.

im still bugging people trying to find out some information but no one atm seems like they want to devulge any info

Back
Top Bottom