bowling on tv

nextwave

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know when there is going to be bowling on TV?
I have Austar and I have been looking at the guide but can't find any bowling

nextwave said:
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know when there is going to be bowling on TV?
I have Austar and I have been looking at the guide but can't find any bowling

I have Foxtel and there is some bowling on Fox Sports

Last week they showed the 2004 Brunwick Masters

You just have to keep your eyes out for it. The World Tenpin Masters just finished no too long ago, so hopefull it will not be too long before they put on something else. Although Ive got the feeling the next event they air will be the AMF World Cup...

Haven't looked for a while but seemed to be mostly on very late Tuesday nights/very early Wednesday mornings.

once upon a time our much loved sport was shown on tv during the daytime but now tv stations look to our game as boring to watch, it's all about the ratings, :(

wouldnt bowling be more exciting these days for the average jo blow? with the improved technology and raised scores they could watch the pros smash pocket shot after shot?

i for 1 wish it was still on free to air

Yep, can get the sport back on "Free to Air"

The last asking price l heard from channel 10 was.........are you ready......

$250,000.00 thats rights. :(

Nine said not anymore, seven said forget it its not a sport.

Have not heard if the ABC or SBS where approached, but l think the idea was shelved when the price came back.

All we need is a major corporate sponsor, to put up around $500k and we can have a great event. $250k towards the TV. Approx $200k to cover everything else. $50k for the event not bad......:rolleyes:

Considering as Xpense said one the major TV Stations doesn't even consider bowling a sport I think the chances of bowling getting back on TV in this country are extremely limited.

xpense said:
Yep, can get the sport back on "Free to Air"
The last asking price l heard from channel 10 was.........are you ready......
$250,000.00 thats rights. :(
Nine said not anymore, seven said forget it its not a sport.
Have not heard if the ABC or SBS where approached, but l think the idea was shelved when the price came back.
All we need is a major corporate sponsor, to put up around $500k and we can have a great event. $250k towards the TV. Approx $200k to cover everything else. $50k for the event not bad......:rolleyes:

Well...I thought that there may have been 2 chances; Slim and none.
After reading the above...I think slim may have just left town...

Yet we see Poker, Darts, Lawn Bowling, Surfing etc etc. Go figure!??? What is it that makes these a sport anymore than Tenpin? I must be missing something here 'cos I just don't get it.

Maybe we need a real ratings puller like "Bowling with the Stars", "Australian Bowling Idol" or "Big Brother Centre"(as opposed to "Big Brother House");) Maybe you could get Jamie Oliver cooking up a storm in the centre cafe LOL!

I still belive slim exists. Just need a corparate sponsor willing to give it a go, and who knows it may take off as a ratings winner:rolleyes:

We need to hope, and we need to keep the dream alive.

i will chip my $10 to start the fighting fund. If everyone chips in $10 that is a member on here we have almost $700k. :p

We dont need a sponsor, we the bowlers can sponsor the event, and bring the sport back the lime light, where it belongs.

Are you with me....:D

hey xpence,
are you talking a single event, or a series (ala coca cola classic of yesteryear)?

Either way it's a great idea, and I'm totally behind it, my ten'er in tow.

Any help you might need, let me know.

From what l have heard from another source, when they were talking about this and the costs involved.

It was for a 12 week series of 1 hour spots from memory.

May need to look into the exact details again, and see what can be arranged.

xpense said:
I still belive slim exists. Just need a corparate sponsor willing to give it a go, and who knows it may take off as a ratings winner:rolleyes:
We need to hope, and we need to keep the dream alive.
i will chip my $10 to start the fighting fund. If everyone chips in $10 that is a member on here we have almost $700k. :p
We dont need a sponsor, we the bowlers can sponsor the event, and bring the sport back the lime light, where it belongs.
Are you with me....:D
I'll throw in $10.50 I'm feeling generous.

Honestly though, funds from bowlers is all good and would be great for establishing a base from which to do it, but the responsibility lies with TBA, and also to a large extent AMF, to actually get it done. Money is getting spent on a lot of things, and some of those things are great and needed, but the sport needs publicity, it needs Belmo, Brando, George, Jez, etc on local free to air television. Firstly, it puts the game out there for everyone to see. Secondly...who wouldn't want to be playing a sport on national TV! I know I would. It gives an extra dimension to the marketing aspect of the game.

All I know is that we keep seeing a lot of talk and great intentions, but never action that leads to a result. Perhaps it is time TBA and AMF went to whatever lengths needed to make it just happen. So - we need $500 000 or something - put a levy on membership, busk on the street, drop your pants for food and sell it on the local corner....doesn't matter how, just do it!
I'll stop ranting now. That is my opinion.

This could acutally be an opportunity to reform bowling in Australia.

with a 12 week series, we could set up quite a national tour.

If we could pull it off we could have a Monthly national tournament, and even incorporate the super 6 as part of that if we wanted too.

it would be a massive drawcard to have the opportunity to bowl on TV, and would draw more entries I think, and eventually major sponsors.

the only thing we would need to think about is how to make the finals more "tv friendly", like the way the PBA is setup, having the final 4 compete in a bracket format, and it seems to work fine. very good for tv. The way it's done here just would not work on tv, you'd need like a million cameras....

I would love to see this get off the ground, and am prepared to help out in any way that I can.

Who wouldn't want this to happen?

BTW, xpense: had you looked into pay tv stations? there's a good chance one of the sport channels might pick this up....

Back
Top Bottom