Bowling on Sports Conditions?

Cam S

BEEEEEEEEEAVER
I was just wondering if anyone would have any tips or drills you can use on house conditions that will improve your game when you come up against the harder sports shots.

While ive seen improvement on my game over the last 12 months bowling and reading conditions on several house shots i find myself plummetting back to earth whenever i get on sports conditions.

Any ideas?

Simple question, even simpler answer. OMG, I can't believe you haven't got it yet!

Throw the ball like Carl.... :D

Seriously though, you play sports shots angles dependent on length. Shorter shots you play with breakpoints furthur outside, longer patterns you play witih breakpoints furthur in.

If you want to get better on sports shots, you have to get better at playing the correct part of the lane for that pattern. On a true THS I find it impossible to play out with anything, but using plastics with speed and little hand can help you get more confident there.

Learning inside can also be enhanced with plastic. Try different hand positions down 12-13 with a low friction ball keeps you away from the wall effect and helps you learn how to kick corners better with roll changes.

And Finally, Throw all spares with plastic. On sport shots it can be hard sparing buckets and double wood with reactive so when you use plastic you can take the conditions out of play. It also teaches better shot direction.

Hope this helps!

Good advice from Tonx. The biggest thing I would say to work on for sport shots (and every other shot) is the swing plane. Keep it compact, easy and direct. Sport shots demand accuracy. The idea of using a plastic ball on your house shot has merit. It will demand good speed control and more roll than reactives. It also won't give you any more than about three boards of breakpoint area, which will tell you when that swing goes awry.

Sport patterns are very honest (downright hard sometimes), but that's why they're very rewarding. (Like a high end golf course.) I applaud you for having a go and encourage you to keep at it.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom