Sport Condition Bowling - Why is it unpopular in Australia?

After reading the bowling magazines from USA and speaking to people in the USA. Sport Condition bowling is the big thing over there and it is just not the high average bowlers bowling it. Statistics reveal that just as many 170-180 average bowlers bowl on sport conditions as the 210+ average bowlers and the main reason is the challenge and to improve their bowling.

But why is it failing to gain a market in Australia. To me, this is the ideal way for bowlers to progress from their house condition shot and local tournaments to the national circuit and tougher patterns. Surely a Sports' Condition league could be that link to allow bowlers to gain the confidence and ability to bowl on a tight pattern. Therefore hopefully increasing the amount of people willing to bowl a national tournament. Yet, they don't exist. I know there is a good sport series in Brisbane, but no league.

So why is that?? and if leagues were setup up, how many people would actually bowl in them?

i would definately bowl in one of these leagues without a doubt.

after bowling nationals and coming back to a plain house shot, i realised that even though i was bowling well on the house shot this was nothing compared to proper oil patterns

bowling something like this would keep bowlers in form on tough oil patterns so that theyre ready to bowl tournaments and its not such a hard adjustment to the tougher oil patterns from house shot

the reason why it hasnt taken off is because people have gotten used to having the patterns helping them bowl well and when they come on a harder pattern they say the lanes are crap, but this is mainly the fact that they are educated on what harder patterns are.that and ego comes into man play. this isn't directed at everyone but it applies to alot of people

I know in Qld Jeff Brigg organises the Sports Series where we bowl a series of tournaments on sports conditions at local centres. Its very popular, and very challenging.

I've seen centres try & organise sports condition leagues, and not be able to fill them. I was told once that why should I spend all day busting my guts at work to have to come & try to think & work hard in league. Besides practice, practice & more practice how are we supposed to improve our games unless we challenge ourselves ?

After reading the bowling magazines from USA and speaking to people in the USA. Sport Condition bowling is the big thing over there......

Unfortunately, you have been misled. Sport Bowling Leagues have NOT turned out to be very successful in the United States. Most 200 average bowlers have avoided the "sports leagues" like the plague, choosing instead to remain in leagues that lay down a THS (typical house shot).

I believe it hasnt taken off because for years we've bowled on so called 'tough' conditions and they didnt need a special name attached to them!! Tournaments with the winners averaging in the 2-zeros were the norm for a lot of years,. If the cut in a major was over the card back in the 80's(and this is say a 202 or so average, not 215) People would yell 'block!!!!'. As lane conditioning and lane surface technology has gotten better(ie sanction technology v Century 100, HPL and Pro Anvilane v some of the disgraceful wood surfaces palyers had presented to them in the so called good old days) With these there's only one way scores can go. IMO (and this has always been my opinion) 'tough' conditions are NOT always 'fair', 3:1 is NOT a cure all(dump this rule NOW please, not all lane surfaces will play fair for both sides and all styles!!). With lane conditions the only goal should be the fairest possible condition for that particular lane surface, one which allows players to shoot from a variety of angles and reward their good shots with good results, let the scores fall were they may and DONT try to influence them, or attempt to force everyone to play one 'shot' Just accept the fact that some weeks the winner might average 210, some weeks 240. As long as everyone had an oppurtunity to have their 'good' shots rewarded from multiple angles then the condition is fair, simple. Thats the only conditioning rule the sport needs, worldwide.

I agree with AdrianS, I too was brought up on tough conditions and they were'nt always fair, though with these conditions nobody was trying to make it harder to score, it just was a combination of NO IDEA and POOR LANE MAINTENANCE. Therefore with todays knowledge we should not be tricking up the lanes to bring back the good old day's. If you want to get back to the good old days than have the Tournament Directors maintain the equipment and oil the lanes, than we will be back to the old days with NO IDEA.

Wayne is right about the Sport Bowling in the States, not many want to bowl in it, many a Centre cannot get a league off the ground.

willey.

Unfortunately, you have been misled. Sport Bowling Leagues have NOT turned out to be very successful in the United States. Most 200 average bowlers have avoided the "sports leagues" like the plague, choosing instead to remain in leagues that lay down a THS (typical house shot).

I agree, The sport leagues around here are mostly in the summer and run at one or two houses. The lower average bowler will still get crushed by the better bowler on the sport condition. The successful leagues are one where everyone scores. Lefties and Righties. If bowlers want to boel on a tougher shot, they join the PBA regional program.

Let's face it. Most folks would rather believe the beautiful lie over the terrible truth. That's why blocked lanes (call a spade a spade) and superballs are here to stay.

A 200+ cut would have been derided as "easy", but don't forget the best ball around in those days was a AMF Black Angle or a Brunswick Edge. Those are spare balls today.

As a junior trying to get ahead in this sport I really enjoy the challenge of the tough conditions - they make you work hard and think - it is a big learning curve and often very frustrating but I know I am there to try to get experience. It is an expensive exercise. There are usually only 1 or 2 juniors out there trying to bowl these comps because most will only bowl if they have a chance of winning. Most people don't see the wisdom of paying a lot of money for the experience and the learning. When talking to the owner of my local bowl and asking if there was any chance of ever having the tournament conditions laid in our centre I was told it is not good for business - bowlers like to score high and in their local leagues there are many bowlers out there who can score high & they enjoy their game.
There are apparently not many bowlers who are trying to be able to compete at a National and International level.

Hi ,
I can not speak for anyone else. but I have been bowling a SPORTS CONDITION LEAGUE For nearly two years now at Mentone in Victoria best thing I ever did and the pattern changers ever 4 weeks and I must say a big thank you to Chris Mesagno and Steve Arundel for the effect they put in each week

Jeanette :)

Back
Top Bottom