Bowling Idol?

Mac Attack

Norm Duke
Who is/was your bowling idol while growing up?

I'll start with Jeanette Baker, back in the 80's, and she's still bowling extremely well.

I have only been bowling a few years, however, my idol is Jeanette Baker - one of the best bowlers (male or female) that I have seen. I bowl in the Seniors events and Jeanette does also - what I admire about her the most is that she is the most supportive and helpful bowler - always encouraging and if you have a problem with your bowling, she is only too willing to help you!

Jeanette Baker - My Idol! The only bowler (female or male) in history to ever win the World Cup back to back - 1983 and 1984.

Annie

Silvano Prez, Gary jeffery, Tony Stoppel, Brenton Davey, Colin Hunt - there are so many great bowlers who I love to watch growing up. All these mentioned bowlers made game look so easy.

Non Pro - Mick Little!

Pro - Tim Mack!

Both have tremendous game and love to watch them bowl!

Cheers,
BJ

Oh and P.S Jase is my "Visionary" Idol :p

A lot to choose from.

When I was growing up definitely Marshall Holman and Mark Roth.

Junior idols were Shane Woods and Kevin Richardson and later on Warren Stewart.

Later on the local scene, lots of greats over the years, but the only one I would ever get mesmerised watching was Andrew Frawley. I could watch him bowl for hours and he always seemed able to find something and get himself back into contention.

When I lived and bowled in the states, I had the opportunity to bowl against and see a lot of phenomenal bowlers. My PBA idol was a little known local Washington guy named Richie Wolfe He never really made the "Big" time but he did make a few shows. That guy had the best swing, temperament and all around game that I had ever seen. Even if he was a leftie. Best big time player for my money was Norm Duke. Wasn't always pretty, but he would throw the ball however he had to to score.

Best females, Jeanette Baker of course on the local front and Carol Gianotti on the Ladies Tour.

Jan

Growing up I had no idea who anyone in the bowling world was! But I have to say Sam Warby. And bowling doubles with Cathy Elwell this year I have to say she is amazing aswell! Maybe they arent pro's but they are incredible bowlers in my books.:)

Nice topic.

For me while growing up, it was Ashley Riley without a doubt. Although I must admit when I was a young girl, I was more than a little scared of him :D

Some others that come to mind are Warren Stewart and Jeanette Baker.

In Australia? Chris Batson! (Who else..?) My bowling life changed the first time I saw him play. He made ten pins crack off the deck like I had never seen before.

Overseas? Pre reactive resin - Mark Roth, Marshall Holman, Bob Handley, John Gant and the awesome Steve Cook. Post reactive resin - Tommy Jones. Across both eras - Norm Duke and Pete Weber - they could win with a ball made of stone!

Timmy Mack! So love seeing him on telly...highly obsessed! :D
Other bowlers include Andrew Frawley, PDW and Norm Duke.
As far as females go I admire Liz Johnson, AMP and Sue Cassell the most. Didnt just list the last 2 because they were team mates, Ive been idolising those ladies for a while now and bowling with them was like a dream come true :cool:

duke, barnes, pdw, and for all round good guy and awsome shot to top it of walshy throws the ball so well

As for my bowling idols I would have to say;

Walter Ray Williams Jr as he is one of the most accurate and adaptable players on the PBA, hence his position as one of the most winningest bowlers in history.

As for Australia that would be a toss up between Ian Bradford, Carl Bottomley and Jeanette Baker-Flynn.

Great Topic

Cheers

Steve:D

Amleto monacelli used to be someone i loved watching when younger, huge backswing and late timing with his shoulder leading forward in his delivery, so much leverage.

also liked to watch brian himmler, remember watching chief bowl through to win his first title, just kept playing the deep outside line through matchplay, and just kept bring the ball back every time.

probably add jason hurd up there too, one of those power players that when they get set up, they just destroy everyone on the lanes. Shot 889 on tour during tournament of champions, looked like it was on a string.

Cant really forget tore either, he's a machine once he's dialed in, just so focused and so smooth, has proven results on tough european conditions

Back
Top Bottom