Bowler uses Pearl Ogre to win $150,000US

tonx

'Cagey veteran' Dysart captures $250,000 Bowling Shootout

5/20/2007

By Mark Miller
USBC Communications

3_1179976067.jpg

$250,000 Bowling Shootout winner Sim Dysart

Minutes after the biggest payday of his life, Sim Dysart grabbed a cell phone to tell his wife Mary back in Hancock, Maine, what he'd done.

"She didn't believe me when I told her I just won $150,000," he said. "When (TV announcer) Dave Ryan got on the phone and told her, she choked up. I can't believe my wife didn't believe me."

The 63-year-old retired Naval officer whose full name is Simeon, earned that unbelievable sum by capturing the $250,000 Bowling Shootout at The Orleans in Las Vegas, a show taped May 3 and broadcast May 20 on ESPN. He won with only his third strike of the day and the only one of four bowlers with a strike in the first sudden death frame. His opponents in the made-for-TV skins game style tournament were USBC Sport Bowling spokesperson and Professional Bowlers Association star Chris Barnes, USBC and PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber and fellow amateur Joe German Jr. of Powder Springs, Ga.

German and Dysart survived four rounds of qualifiers against nearly 300 bowlers from 38 states in the national finals. The format for the event, certified and sponsored by the United States Bowling Congress, was simple. Each frame was worth an amount of money that increased as the game went on.

The first two frames were worth $2,500 each, third through fifth $5,000, sixth and seventh $10,000, eighth $15,000, ninth $20,000 and 10th $75,000. The person who scored best each frame took home the designated cash. If two players tied, the money carried over to the next frame. If a tie occurred in the 10th frame as it did here, succeeding frames would finally determine the winner.

With ties forcing carryovers from the first through 10th frames, just how far they would have to go was up in the air. After striking only twice on seven previous shots, Dysart put the pressure on by leading off the extra frame with a high crossover strike thanks to a flying pin knocking down the 6 pin.

"He was sandbagging us all the time," said Barnes, who had seven strikes in nine shots in the first 10 frames. "You always have to watch out for the cagey veteran."

Everyone watching thought the match would continue as Barnes' shot headed straight to the pocket. But a solid 7 pin had other ideas and it was up to German and Weber to keep the match going.

German, a 48-year-old bowler and the only left-hander, figured his odds were good after rolling six strikes in nine previous tries. But he left a 10 pin making Weber the only thing standing between Dysart and the money. Weber, who had five strikes in eight previous shots, came up light and left the 2-10. The match was over and the crowd was stunned that an amateur had beaten two of the world's best pros.

"I don't know what kind of pot games you have in Maine but you guys are some strong action players," Barnes said.

Looking at Dysart's bowling past, it's easier to understand his success. He started bowling in a high school league at Bethel (Ohio) High School. After joining the Navy in 1964, he began winning some tournaments including the Western Scotland Championships two years in a row. One of the highlights of his 30-year Navy career was bowling against Weber's legendary father, Dick, at a base in Norfolk, Va., in the 1970s. He also once bowled against USBC Hall of Famer Paula Carter.

He used to carry a 200 average until developing shoulder problems which contributed to his unorthodox style of bowling sideways and throwing the ball right down the middle.

"I currently drive 41 miles each way to bowl at Family Fun Center in Bangor," he said. "From 1984 to 1989 I drove 106 miles each way from Cutler to Bangor, Maine, every week. That's a love of the game. I love bowling. I bowl better in competitions than in league."

Dysart, a youth coach with two children and four grandchildren, has had plenty of experience at the national level. He competed in his 12th USBC Open Championships in Reno, Nev., just before coming to the Shootout and will compete for the second time in the USBC Senior Championships in Reno in June. So he was ready when he arrived in Las Vegas.

"The only thing I didn't want to do was throw a gutter ball and make a fool of myself," said Dysart, who collected $5,000 before the show. "Once I got past that point I settled down."

While slightly stunned immediately, both Barnes and Weber took the result in stride.

"For the sake of the show, I'm glad for Sim winning this. But to leave a stone 7, it hurts," Barnes said.

"You can't say he didn't get lucky but that's part of the game," Weber said. "He got a break, the others didn't. That's the fun of the game."

How did this compare with bowling in a PBA event?

"I think this is much tougher but more fun to do," Weber said. "It's different because if you don't strike, you have to rely on others. I found myself rooting for more people than usual. It was a blast. It was so much fun."

Barnes did earn some redemption when the four bowled again for a surprise $13,000 prize package of a Caribbean cruise, a trip to Mexico and two watches. His solid strike followed nine counts by German and Dysart and an eight count by Weber.

"That's a great prize, an unexpected benefit," Barnes said. "I didn't know about it. To get something out of this is nice."

The event was open to all U.S. amateurs 18 years of age and older who earned expense-paid trips to Las Vegas through in-center qualifying rounds. Amateurs advanced in four average based divisions (up to 180, 181-190, 191-200 and 201+) with rolling strikes against their opponents being the key to success.

USBC local association officials worked as judges for the event's center qualifying rounds which ran from last October through early April. USBC also lent the assistance of its rules counselors to answer rules questions.

Other sponsors were the Bowling Proprietors Association of America, Professional Bowlers Association, AMF Centers, Brunswick, ESPN, Touchtone Television Distribution, Greengrass Productions and Woody Fraser Productions.

http://bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=13058&f=1

I think it's absolutely awesome to see a guy defeat so many odds and to come out victorious against 2 of the best bowlers in the world. It just goes to show that no matter what's at stake, no matter of your age and your style, or no matter who you're up against, anybody can win. Congrats buddy!!! :D Nice to see Dysart walk away with $5,000 as well.

I'm sure Barnes is going to enjoy the consolation prize. :p

Ciao Now

Rowey :p

Back
Top Bottom