Catch Belmo's USBC Masters triumph on ESPN Fox Sports 508 at 11pm tonight

elsie

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Monday, 9 February 2015

Belmonte’s Unprecedented 3-peat Triumph in USBC Masters Final

Australia’s Jason Belmonte re-wrote the record books in the sport of tenpin bowling today.

The 31 year-old from Orange, New South Wales won the prestigious USBC MASTERS title for the third consecutive year - an unprecedented feat in the tournament’s 64-year history.

Initially overcoming PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber 232-210 in the semi-final, the recently-crowned PBA Player of the Year was within one game of achieving bowling’s holy grail.

Belmonte faced fellow STORM player, A.J. Johnson of Oswego, Illinois in the grand final, in front of a capacity crowd at The Ashwaubenon Bowling Centre in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

“It's so difficult to win any event back-to-back, but with a three-game, elimination format, you can come up against the wrong guy at the wrong time and be knocked out," Belmonte said earlier.

In the title match, both players began with two spare frames, and with open frames in the fourth and strikes in the fifth they were almost level at the half-way mark. A further strike by Belmonte in the sixth frame delivered a handy margin and when Johnson faltered with two more open frames at the end of the match, Belmonte surged to a commanding 202-157 victory.

Minutes after the win, he was briefly, and uncharacteristically, lost for words.

“I wish I knew what to say to really explain the overwhelming feeling I have right now! Thank you to absolutely everyone for the messages … it means so much to have support from family, friends and fans,” he said in acknowledging his family, sponsors and international fan-base.

Offering a top prize of US$50,000, the Masters is the first major of the 2015 PBA Tour season and featured a sold-out field of 336 of the best professional and amateur bowlers in the world.

The USBC Masters stepladder finals were telecast live globally and will be re-televised in Australia on ESPN Fox Sports 508 from 11pm this evening (Monday, 9 February).

For further details and full standings of the USBC Masters, visit BOWL.com/Masters

ends

Congrats Jason... got up and watched the finals this morning. Well done on the three-peat.

I especially liked the look of normality on your face after both brooklyn strikes... :)

Congrats Jason... got up and watched the finals this morning. Well done on the three-peat.

I especially liked the look of normality on your face after both brooklyn strikes... :)
Brooklyns are apart of the game , Weber let that and other things (sticky approaches, belmos towel , etc ) get to him. He who has the strongest mental game triumphs.

Brooklyns are apart of the game , Weber let that and other things (sticky approaches, belmos towel , etc ) get to him. He who has the strongest mental game triumphs.

The throwing of his sunglasses after a Brooklyn strike by Belmo was childish, and going on about Belmo's miniature towel, he is over the hill in my opinion but I will say if he had the mental game of a Norm Duke with his Physical talents he might have been the all time top PBA winner.

He may be one of the all time best, I stop at great as I just don't see it fits with bowling. That being said ... The guy has one hell of an entitlement complex and clearly is forgetting his place in the world. This is not someone that I would ever want my kids to look at for inspiration, motivation or sportsmanlike conduct. He really does embarrass the sport of bowling not to mention himself. It's a shame that such an historic moment for Jason Belmonte is marred by the antics of this fool.

I am with you Sam.

As for the towel, well i have said it before, " that was Aussie sports science at its best." oh, does this up set you, let me just grab another towel from my bag. you wouldn't be able to help yourself ;)...

Well believe it or not I think Pete really wanted to win this more than anything. I think emotions just took over on this occasion. I had the privilege to room with Pete on a few occasions and I know what he is like. At the end of the game he congratulated Belmo on his win. When you are so competitive it just happens. I have been in this situation plenty of times so I know what he was going through. I'm pretty sure he and Belmo are good mates but on the lanes stuff happens. By the way I'm glad Belmo won. I've already sent him a message.
Cheers Lovey

Thanks for posting the vid, will watch it now... Well done Belmo, it's good to see Aussies succeeding in some form of sport :D

Back
Top Bottom