best way to see Tassie?

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
I'm coming down for 5 days after Christmas and am tossing up whether to hire a car or a motorbike. Might do a bit of both, whats the weather like that time of year? Any suggestions on things to do? I'm going to do about 12 wineries, any other suggestions appreciated.

Mate, good to hear you are coming for a Visit. Have to make sure we catch up when you come down.

Motorbike or car doesnt really matter, obviously depends on how much luggage/people you have.

The Tamar Valley (where the winery's are) is a nice spot and a bike ride through there would be pretty cool (dont have a motorbike so cant say for sure. Driven through there plenty of times though).

I have been told riding a bike down the East or West Coast is pretty good too. Both very scenic trips.

Cant say what the weather will be like, anything is possible eg Nationals 2 years ago, 30 deg during the week, snowed on the Friday Night. If it is not Raining, it will be warm for you, but Hot for us Taswegians. :p

What else are you looking at doing besides getting drunk?

Hey George, Not sure what end you are flying in to? or are you catching the spirit?? I agree with gus with the Tamar Valley but if you are riding do the the east coast via Scottsdale, work your way to hobart via the east coast quick trip into wine glass bay (dont worry about the bowling balls you wont need em as there is no lanes there). But yeah try the wines in tassie they are renown for the reds enjoy...if you can manage to grab a bream creek merlot its better than 12 X in a row
Enjoy Tassie - i miss it. As for the weather - hmmm leave that to the locals to give you the update on that -enjoy great place nice people
leftyg

Hey George,

Definately go to Freycinet and the Coles Bay / Swansea area on the East Coast. If you have a spare day the walk to Wineglass Bay is sensational .... but it will take you all day to get there and back (the walk that is) but Wineglass Bay is consistently rated in the top 10 beaches in the world.

If in Hobart, the boat cruise down to a place called Peppermint Bay is excellent, with a stopover at the Peppermint Bay Restuarant which is first class.

If your headed to the North West Coast .... a place called Boat Harbour about 25-30 past Burnie is great, or not as far down somewhere like Shearwater / Port Sorell which is just before Devonport and only roughly an Hour from Lonny - could maybe push on to their after doing the wineries down the Tamar that Gus mentioned.

Anyways just a few of my recommendations .... bike would be great to travel if thats your thing.

Have fun

Trip on a bike along the east coast is great down through St. Helens, Bicheno, Orford to Hobart.

If you fancy a round of golf, I can definitely recommend Barnbougle Dunes up north at Bridport, at Tasmania GC in Hobart, which is just 3 mins from Hobart Airport (or one of my teeshots away).

As far as the weather.... who knows. I've seen snow in January on the Mountain, but it could also be 35-36*.

Wow certainly some information there I didn't read on the net... thanks guys... I get in on Christmas night, with 4 solid days to kill. I am really looking forward to it, certainly wont be packing any bowling balls this trip :D

I think hiring a car for 2 days and a bike for 2 depending on how cold or hot it is. I appreciate the information and if there is anything else I should look at doing please just post a reply.

Thanks again

Awesome, spent Christmas night in Hobart (Grand Chancellor, nice). Then hired a car and drove down to near Cygnet and spent a night with family. Then drove to Launceston and stayed in the heart of the city (if you can call it a city). Did a full day of wineries in the Tamar Valley (9 in total, amazing!). Then drove back to Hobart and for taste of Tasmania and the finish to the Sydney to Hobart. Spent one night then took off to Sydney.

I did some touristy things, Mt Wellington (freezing), Cascade Brewery, drove down the Southern coast. All in all, had a great time. It was a tight schedule but it was certainly a lot of fun.

Anyone in Hobart, I recommend the Morilla winery, won of the best I've ever seen anywhere.

Then drove to Launceston and stayed in the heart of the city (if you can call it a city).

LOL. Up yours George ;)

I did some touristy things, Mt Wellington (freezing), Cascade Brewery, drove down the Southern coast. All in all, had a great time. It was a tight schedule but it was certainly a lot of fun

You picked the wrong brewery too. Everyone knows the best beer in Tassie comes from the North. :D

Agree with KC, particularly on the beer front!!

Sounds like you missed the East Coast though ..... well worth another trip down to have a look at that!

scooter said:
Agree with KC, particularly on the beer front!!

Nah, give me Pure Blonde any day of the week!! :snack:

Still, at least Boags is better than West End :p ;)

Matty,

Have to agree with you there, Pure Blonde is all I drink these days - what a good drop!

But if it comes down to Boags vs Cascade .... its no contest. Boags everytime.

I dont need any encouragement not to drink it John! Its almost at the top of my list of beers to avoid .... Moo Brew being No.1 on that list ..... tried that once .......... still recovering.

I dont need any encouragement not to drink it John! Its almost at the top of my list of beers to avoid .... Moo Brew being No.1 on that list ..... tried that once .......... still recovering.
I'll raise you a James Squire then Scott!

Brewed up in NSW.

Worst. Beer. Ever :wtf1:

Tastes just like it was dredged straight out of the local **** farm (Sewerage Treatment Plant).
Drank it Xmas day, I still whince at it.

I'll raise you a James Squire then Scott!

Brewed up in NSW.

Worst. Beer. Ever :wtf1:

Tastes just like it was dredged straight out of the local **** farm (Sewerage Treatment Plant).
Drank it Xmas day, I still whince at it.

Oh Matt no... I guess that's what you expect from a Cascade drinker... LOL! I've quite enjoyed every James Squire I've had. Quite a fan.

Which James Squire was it, as they brew quite a few beers?

Back
Top Bottom