Belmonte 1st & Putney 4th after first cut at World Cup

Graham

Staff member
SINGAPORE — Shalin Zulkifli of Malaysia and Jason Belmonte of Australia remain atop the leader boards after 24 games at the 40th AMF Bowling World Cup in Singapore.

Zulkifli, whose best World Cup finish to date has been second place, scored a 1,292 set Thursday morning at SuperBowl SAFRA Mount Faber to bring her tournament average to 231.17 and total pinfall to 5,548. Her nearest competitor, 2002 World Cup champion Shannon Pluhowsky, is 192 pins behind, at 5,356. Pluhowsky is averaging 223.17, with Australia's Ann-Maree Putney making the first cut and looking good for the next round in 4th position with a 220.54 average.

“All of us in the top three were all ‘under average’ this morning,” Zulkifli joked. “We made good shots, but pin carry wasn’t there.”

Belmonte posted another 1,500+ series Thursday to increase his lead over Norway’s Petter Hansen to 106 pins, despite Hansen’s 300 game late in the set. Belmonte now has a 245.25 average with 5,886 pins.

“I really wanted to finish the first 24 games on top of the field,” Belmonte said. “It was a drive for me, a mental thing. Now I can say to myself, ‘I beat these guys for 24 games, I can beat them for eight more.’”

Hansen has 5,780 pins and a 240.83 average. He’s trailed by Chester King of the Philippines, who also shot a perfect game Thursday night. Both 300 games came on lanes 3 and 4.

The field was cut to the top 24 men and women following Thursday’s action.

Full scores can be seen at the official website http://www.amfbowlingworldcup.com

Back
Top Bottom