ball weight

J

Judas O

does heavier ball helps increase consistancy??
I've been bowling for 2 months now... using 12lb AMF angle evolution..and my current average is 120
icon_sad.gif

a friend of mine told me that my ball is too light, and it is time for me to get a new ball..
what do you think?

any advice appriciated
icon_biggrin.gif

does heavier ball helps increase consistancy??
I've been bowling for 2 months now... using 12lb AMF angle evolution..and my current average is 120
icon_sad.gif

a friend of mine told me that my ball is too light, and it is time for me to get a new ball..
what do you think?

any advice appriciated
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Judas O,
Ball weight really is a relative problem that depends on the size and strength of the person using it (as well as many other factors).
The ball should be heavy enough for a person to have a comfortable pendulum swing without struggling to get the ball out on the lane or feeling like you are tossing a tennis ball.
The best advice I can give is to have a reputable local coach or pro shop operator look at your game and follow their advice. If you feel that you are "chucking" the ball at present, chances are your muscles have adjusted to the weight your are currently using and it may be time for a change....BUT please first have your game looked at by someone with specific bowling and coaching knowledge. Happy bowling!
icon_smile.gif

Regards

Larry Kent OAM
icon_cool.gif

Another point I might just add is, to get your average higher doesn't nesesarily (spelling?) mean going to a heavier ball. Before I converted to finger tip bowling, I was bowling with an 11 pound ball, conventional style. I managed to get my average up to the high 180's. But on the other hand for me to get my average higher than that, I needed to change to finger tip and a heavier ball. So I'm not sure what style you are bowling at the moment but by the sounds of it, with a 120 average you might want to concentrate on your accuracy first. (Please don't take that the wrong way at all) Once you are bowling on your mark consistantly and your average is not improving, then a change is needed and a heavier ball might be an option. This is just my opinion and it might be of some help, but you might want to seek a professionals advise.
icon_smile.gif

Hi Judas O,
Ball weight really is a relative problem that depends on the size and strength of the person using it (as well as many other factors).
The ball should be heavy enough for a person to have a comfortable pendulum swing without struggling to get the ball out on the lane or feeling like you are tossing a tennis ball.
The best advice I can give is to have a reputable local coach or pro shop operator look at your game and follow their advice. If you feel that you are "chucking" the ball at present, chances are your muscles have adjusted to the weight your are currently using and it may be time for a change....BUT please first have your game looked at by someone with specific bowling and coaching knowledge. Happy bowling!
icon_smile.gif

Regards

Larry Kent OAM
icon_cool.gif

Another point I might just add is, to get your average higher doesn't nesesarily (spelling?) mean going to a heavier ball. Before I converted to finger tip bowling, I was bowling with an 11 pound ball, conventional style. I managed to get my average up to the high 180's. But on the other hand for me to get my average higher than that, I needed to change to finger tip and a heavier ball. So I'm not sure what style you are bowling at the moment but by the sounds of it, with a 120 average you might want to concentrate on your accuracy first. (Please don't take that the wrong way at all) Once you are bowling on your mark consistantly and your average is not improving, then a change is needed and a heavier ball might be an option. This is just my opinion and it might be of some help, but you might want to seek a professionals advise.
icon_smile.gif

Hi
thanks for all the replys..
Sean M, you got a point there... but does heavier ball reised accuracy therefore reised my consistancy?

Hi
thanks for all the replys..
Sean M, you got a point there... but does heavier ball reised accuracy therefore reised my consistancy?

as a bowler/balldriller i have noticed that most people can handle a ball that weighs almost as much as their head with out having many problems. so ill explain, a persons head weight on average about 1/10th of their body weight. so in short a safe guide i have used for a number of years goes as follows: a body weight of fifty kgs=ball weight eg should be around 4 to 5 kgs max when starting out. a bigger person obvisoly has more mass which converts to more strength, but this is not a dead sure fire way of finding out what is absolute but it is a good starting point that i have used for many years. :D

Hi
There is a technique I used that I got told by a pro sho driller/coach in the past on determining if the ball weight is okay or not. Take your bowling arm and hold it horizontally out at 90 degrees angle to your body. Turn your palm up to the air and place your bowling ball on top. If you can hold the ball without shaking or a little shaking involved then that ball is okay for your bowling. If you're holding very comfortable then you might like to go up one lb more until you find you are shaking too much with a ball. Use house balls to try out diffferent weights to determine what is appropriate for your bowling arm. Vice versa if you are shaking too much with the current weight.

The basis of this technique is if your bowling arm can hold the ball without exerting strength to hold it then you have a smoother pendulum swing compare to gripping it in your hand as you swing. Something to try out if you like.

I used to be on 14lb bowling ball but drop down to 12lb for the fact of this issue. Also that I need to bowl many games during tournaments so can't maintain my game using a 14lb ball.

Hope that helps :D .

Back
Top Bottom