Ball has stopped hooking

S

Scotty H

My first post here. Shame it coudlnt be about something good...

I recently bought a second hand Ebonite Big Time Sanded. This ball was in near perfect condition and has only had a very small number of games bowled on it.

It was amazing to begin with and hooked very crisp and sharp. It would skid then snap and come in really hard. But recently (after say 30 games or so) it has began to really tame down a lot.

I have tried cleaning it, originally with just warm water and a bit of detergent (rinsed off very carefully of course) and the ball came up nice and tacky. Then I got some of the Storm Reacta Clean? (or something like that) which is a particle ball rejuvinator/polish. And that cleaned it up a treat. Came up feeling the cleanest its ever been since I got it.

So this is where I wonder whats wrong with it. I bowl this ball as my 'wet lane' ball and it worked a treat to start out. But I am now noticing that my old school Storm Eraser PBT is now hooking better and more consistently than my Ebonite. That doesnt seem right to me. Same shot. Different outcomes.

I would normally stand on about 25 board and shoot over say 10 and it would come back into the pocket (occaisionally too high on head pin) and then by the end of the 4 games I would be standing at around 30 - 33 and keep shooting over 10. This seems to work for me. But now it seems that the only shot I can make work is standing right on 20 board and shooting a sort of 'tramline' shot down the right gutter and then it comes back. I assume that is only because of the fact that its a dryer part of the lane and its always going to hook better out there anyway.

I have been thinking about what could have caused this gradual decline in the performance of the ball. I can only put my finger on a couple of possiblities.

1. Ball was left in the car in the sun for 1 day while I was at work.
2. Detergent may not have been rinsed off well enough.

On those points, I would think that the hot car woudlnt do too much damage as it was slowly heated up, and then slowly cooled down. Not sudden changes of temperature which I know is bad for most things.

And as for the detergent, I made sure that I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed to get all of the detergent off it. It was only a mild dishwashing liquid and it was a very small amount applied to a scrub brush. So it wasnt ever even applied directly to the ball. Always with a lot of water and then rinsed off almost strait away. Also following that, I used a proper particle ball cleaner and it didnt improve a whole lot (only marginally).

Can anyone offer me some advice regarding this particular type of ball, for example if anyone out there has owned one of these and had similar problems. Perhaps its just my shot thats changed... But I doubt it. I have been bowling at my best (brought average up to 193) the last few weeks since I got this ball. But its starting to go pear shaped.

Please help. I am hoping not to have to get a new ball. I already paid a bit of $$ for this one.

Cheers,

-Scott

take it to your proshop, and get a resurface..... Its cheap, quick, and often produces the best results.

Scotty, as mentioned in a previous post, take the ball to your proshop.

However it's maybe not as simple a solution as resurfacing the ball, that may work for a few games, but after 30 games I can't see the ball dying on you, see a good proshop professional and get it sorted out.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

there is actually a chemical compound designed by ebonite to renew the bowling ball and get it hooking to when the ball came out of the box. Not actually sure of the name but you could have a look on the ebonite website or ask your proshop guy. What actually happens is they put the ball in a plasctic chamber which looks like a ball with things coming out of either end and then they fill the gaps around the ball with a powdery stubstance i think, which they leave it like that for a day or so.

Feral said:
Get a Lane #1;)

Hey Reg, in his post Scott said he didn't want to get a new ball because he already spent money on this ball, and you go and tell him to get the most expensive Balls on the market???, I doubt thats really helping him out.

Scott, I'm just wondering has the center changed there oiling pattern????
This could be why your ball may not be turning. I agree with sanding the ball back, maybe some Track magic Matt finish on the ball, and than see if that improves, hope this helps

Steven

Soak it for half an hour in a laundry tub of hot water - just barely uncomfortably hot, not boiling - with a good squirt of laundry liquid or diswashing liquid. Then rinse it off, let it dry, and enjoy.

This procedure mobilises the resin in the coverstock and removes excess resin and muck at the surface.

If that doesn't work, try the Ebonite hook-again (which basically does the same thing, only by absorption) or resurfacing.

Cheers, Robbie.

Back
Top Bottom