Advice Needed

Ice

I have just purchased a new Clarion car stereo to replace the Eurovox which died in my VX commodore. I have wired it all up, and after the initial headache of blacked out dash and rear lights, it is all good and working. However, I have these last two wires, both yellow with the fuses enclosed in a case halfway down, and instructions say these are supposed to be connected directly to the battery. Now although stereo is already powered by the pretty little red wire, I assume these must be important as they have the fuses. Can someone tell me how I am supposed to thread these thru to the battery as I have no idea where i might find a hole to thread them thru, and to which terminal on the battery are these to be connected? Or am I on the wrong track and are they to be connected to the wire which is currently supplying the power to my stereo???

Thanks in advance!!!!!

I installed a a stereo in my VT commodore a few years ago. I cannot remember if I had an extra 2 wires left but I do know I have never connected anything directly to the battery and my stereo still works fine today. How did you go replacing the hole left by the smaller stereo or is the new one a big square one like the one you pulled out?

Lana,

I would give Andrew Drew (Drewy) a call over at Northfield, as this is his life and something he is very experienced at. You have it first hand from me he is very good at his work..

Ph Number is 07 3849 4006

Too easy my friend!

The yellow ones are perm power supply, even when the car is turned off. This maintains the memory to the head unit, so the clock and programmed stations stay!

Personally, I like Attaching these wires to the horns fuse (its still perm-supply!), as opposed to the battery as it makes it easier to do battery changes. The fuses are to protect the head unit when starting the car, as the flow of electricity peaks and troughs during ignition.

Best place to look for access, is USUALLY a rubber covered hole somewhere in the foot area. You should pop out the rubber, drill a hole through it, and then put the wire through, replacing the rubber.

Hope this helps.

Please tell me you have a 'fulli-sic' subwoofer uleh!

How did you go replacing the hole left by the smaller stereo or is the new one a big square one like the one you pulled out?

You can buy a piece which fills the hole and leaves you with a new little compartment underneath the new stereo. It cost about $50.

I would give Andrew Drew (Drewy) a call over at Northfield, as this is his life and something he is very experienced at. You have it first hand from me he is very good at his work..

Ph Number is 07 3849 4006

Thanks Jase

Thanx Tonx, your info helped. When you explained that these wires would provide power to maintain memory I realised there must have been this wire already from the old stereo. Pleased to report all now connected and working great and the repeat button on my fav song now works too LOL.

P.S No, don't have 'fully sic' subwoofer yet, gotta start saving so I can convert to victorian at Xmas LOL but it still sounds pretty good!

I got a compartment for mine but it did not cost $50. I think it was about $12 and I got it from Mazda.

Back
Top Bottom