8pins start for women, did it work?

I bowled on the weekend and I did not spare well, threw great 1st shots most of day and lost carry throughout but sparing killed me and finished 55th. I am one of bowlers affected by the 8 pins you all talk about. I personally do not feel this influenced my result because i was simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Only 5-6 girls finished in front of me and that does not have the perceived impact on the outcome of results as you may think right through a field. Personally like i earlier said, i think it is a good idea and as Mick and others have said, the physicality aspect is the main area of difference, particularly on WTBA patterns or sport conditions over 40 ft or below 3:1 with high or highish ul.

I still dont believe it will last but time will tell and it is worth a look for a year to see weather numbers of the gals improve, positions, etc...

I feel that if you dont like the 8 pins in a tournament, DON'T BOWL! Stay at home or participate in a full open event without the 8 for the girls.

It is your money, your choice. No point crying like a baby here about it further because TBA have set the rules and don't have tissues.

Michael,
Thanks for the reply, appreciate a polite discussion.
My argument is based on fairness to all parties bowling. I'm not exactly sure what reason the rule has been introduced, is it to increase numbers in tournaments or is it to build an elite female team at expense of open tournament bowlers? I think it may be to arrest the decline in participation of female bowlers and I think helping to improve the skills of women is a by product, the old spend more time with better bowlers so you can become better yourself principle.

"most females that enter the open tournaments, certainly have averages well above 200, and so do the majority of male bowlers bowling as well"
So you admit the known females will have an advantage in excluding equally skilled males from making cuts? Of course, there are plenty of bowlers who have skewed averages as most centres lay down a ditch, I know there are bowlers here in the local area who have averages 10-15pins higher than mine depending what centre they bowl in, but will never bowl a national tournament, just the way it is, much similar that these women may have averages the same way, but doesn't mean they are going to shoot the same in a tournament, it is possible that an equally skilled male bowler may lose out by 1 pin as much as whatever tally an eight pin handicap would present. Time will tell how much this really changes the course of things. As Brenton has stated and many others, this has been standard practice throughout the bowling world for well over a decade now. Time will tell if it works here. Tournament numbers there are certainly higher in other countries and the quality of female bowlers is definitely higher too.

"And I also don't see the bonus as being disparaging to women as some have suggested "
Females in Australia are capable of front line combat duties in our Armed Forces, but not capable of bowling on sports patterns without assistance...apparently. Seriously, if a female needs an 8 pin advantage to improve her skills to international competition, she is never going to cut it internationally anyway. Do some research and have a look at how many women actually do serve on the front line doing the 'grunt' work, not many at all, and even in this day and age they probably still have to prove themselves double to get there. Physicality is what it comes down too. The Army can skew its figures any which way they want to meet the governments KPIs but how many are in the actual partol and battle units?

"In regards to your post above about giving other categories assistance, the only thing I would suggest is giving juniors reduced entry fees to encourage their participation"
Give females reduced fees to encourage them to bowl rather than an advantage of more pins if you want more entries. I would be firmly against this, as male bowlers in general bowling in dual gender tournaments have had to prop up the female proportion of the prize fund way too many times for my liking otherwise they wouldn't have a tournament at all. Juniors I have no problem with because they generally don't have the skills to compete just yet unless they come through with exceptional talent like a Belmo or Cooley.

As far as sandbagging, easy to eliminate it by making the cost to achieve the average greater than the gain of winning a tournament. eg the average used has to be from a greater number of games (at a value of $3 ea game ) than the first place prize fund. So if you sandbag you need to spend more than what a win would receive in prize money. If you top ten in an event you lose your 8 pin handicap for 12mths. I understand this, but I am a pretty straight forward person and like to keep things simple, too much confusion and allows for variables. Maybe the system can be tweaked so that if a female does win a tournament they lose their 8 pin status or if making top 3 or cut it drops to 4 pins etc. That way there are defined parameters to work off.

I keep going back to this.. It's the principle of fair play which is of paramount importance. Once that principle is lost, you bring the sport into disrepute. Having only the females able to bowl the maximum score proves the rule to be unfair, that has already happened.
TBA should be accountable for making all competition fair, I think this rule breaches that principle. In a technical sense you are right, 308 beats 300 everyday, where I think this is all based on is what everyone else has mentioned, lack of physicality, lack of ability to impart the correct force on the ball (ie rotation) and an avenue to increase tournament numbers and improve quality. In the other post about this, I did some rough figures on how the females would have fared in last years open only tournaments, there wasn't a whole lot of effect. If it doesn't work it doesn't work, and to be honest whether females get 8 pins a game at a tournament or not is not really what is going to save bowling, it is working on getting an increase in membership numbers as I have alluded to earlier and unifying all the different associations.

If you want take another look at it and list the possible pros and cons that people have mentioned so far in the posts before it pretty much comes down to the below:

Cons:
- Pissing off current fringe male bowlers if they miss the cut or last cash place (argument is based on an individuals performance, how many spares did they miss, did they throw it well enough?)
- Getting an extra 8 pins, so either a 80 or 96 pin walk up start before a ball is bowled
- May decrease participation from some male bowlers

Pros:
- May increase participation of female bowlers
- May serve to increase female bowlers skill levels over time
- May boost tournament entries and/or prevent a drain on male prize funds at dual gender tournaments if a flow on effect occurs

Reasons:
- Physicality and skill level disparity
- Trying to level the playing field to a degree
- Increasing tournament numbers
- Standard for the rest of the bowling world

I guess the focus is on the ratio of decreasing/increasing male/female participation.

There have always been male and female events, plus open to all events.

Now we have ????? events. How do we classify them?... What do we call them?

They're not scratch events. They're not handicap events, for a female averaging say 215 gets the same patronising handout, as another female averaging 190.

So we haven't got a name for them yet - ( that's probably just as well ), I'm definately not calling for suggestions:oops:.

Emotive reasons, plus the modern obsession to try to make everyone equal, so everyone feels good about themselves to one side, I really can't see the point. Bowling, as a sport, has more immediate problems than this.

But," they do it in some other countries", I hear you say. ----True, and women arn't allowed to drive cars in some other countries.---Not a good reason for us to do it.

If people don't like the 8 pins advantage for woman then please provide a solution to how we are going to increase female entries?

Here Here Jimcross
I have a question...what are the women doing to increase their own numbers?. I personally have help and encourage 3 bowlers to step up from league level to sport series and tourneys. Id also like to know what parameters the TBA are using to judge if this works? Have they set a finish date if it does not?

If you want take another look at it and list the possible pros and cons that people have mentioned so far in the posts before it pretty much comes down to the below:

Cons:
- Pissing off current fringe male bowlers if they miss the cut or last cash place (argument is based on an individuals performance, how many spares did they miss, did they throw it well enough?)
- Getting an extra 8 pins, so either a 80 or 96 pin walk up start before a ball is bowled
- May decrease participation from some male bowlers

Pros:
- May increase participation of female bowlers
- May serve to increase female bowlers skill levels over time
- May boost tournament entries and/or prevent a drain on male prize funds at dual gender tournaments if a flow on effect occurs

Reasons:
- Physicality and skill level disparity
- Trying to level the playing field to a degree
- Increasing tournament numbers
- Standard for the rest of the bowling world

I guess the focus is on the ratio of decreasing/increasing male/female participation.

I think the principle of fair play is ultimately more important. The majority view here is that principles dont matter and everyone happy to compromise the principle for the sake of dubious small gains in other areas.
Good Luck, When you compromise principles for whatever reason you stand on a slippery slope. I hope in a couple of years it will have been worth it.

I came back to Total Bowling forums hoping to have meaningful discussions on several big picture ticket items.
So far I have been disappointed in every discussion I have joined, content and forward vision falling short of my hopes. Have stated my position, my logic and my opinion, there is no reason for me to post on this subject again.

Thanks for your replies Michael, you at least have been prepared to engage your thoughts. Whilst I disagree, I however respect that you have the best interest of bowling in mind.

If people don't like the 8 pins advantage for woman then please provide a solution to how we are going to increase female entries?

Oh, for goodness sake, simply by them entering in the same way that others ( male and female ) currently do, who know their probability of making a cut, or being in the prizemony, is slim, as I used to do, when I could physically bowl the number of games required.

Wish I still could. Would like to swap places with one of you who can, but think carefully about what you get in return.

Just having a look at the PBA-WBT Kuwait Open that's on now the women receive a 5-pin handicap per game
However from the way I am reading it after qualifying all pitfalls are dropped and the rules then read 'scratch'

Attached is both the final qualifying results along with the rules and regulations of the tourney. Possibly that might be the way to go. Handicapped in qualifying but after that is all level again? Just my thoughts

Results
http://abf-online.org/results/2013/10thkuw-1.asp?Block=3&Squad=Comb

Rules
http://abf-online.org/zipped/10thKuwaitOpen_Rules.pdf

Oh, for goodness sake, simply by them entering in the same way that others ( male and female ) currently do, who know their probability of making a cut, or being in the prizemony, is slim, as I used to do, when I could physically bowl the number of games required.

Wish I still could. Would like to swap places with one of you who can, but think carefully about what you get in return.
I get what you are saying but I think we have a lot of evidence to say this hasn't worked, hence why the eight pins has been brought into play.

Like I have said earlier, we can't judge that this system hasn't worked yet as it has only been two tournaments.

Maybe we can also use the system that Warren Stewart is using this weekend a Mentone Cup. Top three woman who don't make the cut get their entry back? Least it means woman and guaranteed some money back when versing the men.

I also like the suggestion above from Kuwait Cup. And the one which I said earlier but it seems to be ignored, that if the woman win or maybe we can say get in the top three, they lose the eight pins per game for a 12 month period.

In terms of the fringe bowlers getting the eight pins, this can be looked at for sure but I think only if you have bowled say maybe 4 or 5 tournaments in the past 12 months and then that average is how they determine if you are eligible or not.

With this system the more variables that are introduced makes it difficult to keep track of... We should just keep it simple... Ladies get 8 pins (or 5 whatever) and either keep 8 pins through matchplay ( or drop it). Outside of that, I wouldn't make any other changes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we have had at least a couple of national tournaments in the past with the same 8 pin head start for the ladies, this feels like groundhog day. It might be 6, 7, 8 years ago but I'm sure this isn't the first time.

I think the principle of fair play is ultimately more important. The majority view here is that principles dont matter and everyone happy to compromise the principle for the sake of dubious small gains in other areas.
Good Luck, When you compromise principles for whatever reason you stand on a slippery slope. I hope in a couple of years it will have been worth it.

I came back to Total Bowling forums hoping to have meaningful discussions on several big picture ticket items.
So far I have been disappointed in every discussion I have joined, content and forward vision falling short of my hopes. Have stated my position, my logic and my opinion, there is no reason for me to post on this subject again.

Thanks for your replies Michael, you at least have been prepared to engage your thoughts. Whilst I disagree, I however respect that you have the best interest of bowling in mind.

Thats cool, and I am not disagreeing with you either, just providing some probables as to why, and no, doesn't make it correct, or incorrect either, just an avenue to see if something works for Australian tournament bowling as a whole. And good luck with the meaningful conversations lol.

And I meant to put this in another post earlier but forgot, some have mentioned female incentives for those finishing outside the cash or top 3 females in the tournament. This is certainly not new, but how does this differ to giving them handicap, because at the end of the day, the handicap can be used to push their positions into either cashing spots or matchplay. If an incentive is there, they may or probably will get more than other 'male' counterparts in terms of cash payouts, but people have never seemed to have a problem with this before.

And Jim, I honestly don't feel it is patronising. We can say women can do the same as men all we like, and more often than not, they can, but in sports where physicality is relied upon, the men will win hands down 99/100 times. If this encourages more women to step up and make the plunge and can therefore increase their own tournament entries when they see tournaments aren't such a bad place to be, then at least we can give it a go. League averages as I have said also mean squat these days. You are perfectly correct however that this sport has other things to worry about.

A female bowling shot is a beautiful thing. In many ways, it is so simplistic, technical, streamlined and flawless. The variables that the power shot is susceptible to simply don't exist.

I disagree that a female can't, or is less likely to impart the correct roll on a bowling ball - you either can or you can't. The only variable here is how many times this can be done consistently. And the physiology side of things is cancelled out in a way because of the simplicity involved in the female shot. Using the most compact and streamlined delivery process means (generally speaking) the female has less impact to muscle use and spends less energy delivering the ball - thus lasting as long as the stronger male contingent.

I will also put a different spin on lanes opening up and essentially making it tougher for the female to carry (it seems based on lack of strength or inability to get the ball down lane far enough). The longer the female competes with the male contingent, the female will get used to it and will learn to read lanes better and make certain adjustments to combat the fast movement of oil to increase carry percentage (either through different equipment, hand positioning or release, etc). Slowly but surely, this will bring the female closer to the scoring ability of the male.

That will then eliminate the need for the 8 pin head start based solely on 'giving the female bowler a better chance against the males'. I believe the female bowler can match it without the 'handicap', and its only due to not frequently bowling with the male contingent that this is not reflected in results to date. After all, you can only improve in a certain situation the more you come up against it.

What would the 8 pins head start then be achieving? If it's purely to get tournament numbers up, I don't think it will work. I'm not sure what the answer is. Participation is fast declining in Australia - membership numbers are substantially larger in the US, Europe and Asia - and you can't attribute that solely to other countries giving the female contingent a head start. With the money they generate, they can have the correct people in the correct places and can employ coaches, etc etc. For these reasons, I don't think you can compare Australia to the rest of the world.

We have much bigger problems at hand and it all starts at the top.

JMHO.

Are you referring to the 'patronizing' part? If you're not - I'm not sure what you're getting at. Call me thick....o_O

Are you referring to the 'patronizing' part? If you're not - I'm not sure what you're getting at. Call me thick....o_O

Sorry Michael. I was typing mine while you were posting yours. It wasn't there when I started. I actually agree with you Calling Michael.... Calling Michael Little....Calling..........

What are other countries doing so differently compared to us? Is it that they have a higher density population? Is it advertisement? This is not just directed at tournaments but the league aspect as well... I think the one thing we all agree on is that we need to increase numbers... Both tournaments and league... One can only hope that with an increase in numbers at league level that from this we might generate more tournament numbers... But this is more long term... Doesn't help us at the moment...

Sorry Michael. I was typing mine while you were posting yours. It wasn't there when I started. I actually agree with you Calling Michael.... Calling Michael Little....Calling..........
Meh, round and round we go, where we'll stop, nobody will know, two tournaments left and then the trial stops, Innisfail and Hobart to go. Lets all revisit it again in September ;)

Back
Top Bottom