8pins start for women, did it work?

Bluey... I think the grammar correction referred to is when you corrected the names of fellow bowlers in a previous post...

If its fair to give all females 8 pins per game in the name of bolstering tournament entries, why not give every bowler with a league average less than 190 the same 8 pins handicap....

That opens up a whole new can of worms... How many fringe bowlers who average around the 190 mark will deliberately drop their average to gain 8 pins advantage... It would be nice to think that it doesn't happen but it's also hard to prove... 8 pins for the ladies and leave it at that... just my opinion...

Bluey... I think the grammar correction referred to is when you corrected the names of fellow bowlers in a previous post...

That opens up a whole new can of worms... How many fringe bowlers who average around the 190 mark will deliberately drop their average to gain 8 pins advantage... It would be nice to think that it doesn't happen but it's also hard to prove... 8 pins for the ladies and leave it at that... just my opinion...

Yes I did correct the use of capitals for peoples names not spelling as Daz suggested, way past being relevent now.

The cut off for handicap would need to be lower than 190 ave if it was implemented across the board instead of women only. 175-180 would be difficult to sandbag down to if you truly ave around 195+. As you say it would be a big can of worms and really just takes away from what Tournaments are meant to be, the best of the best going at it.

According to the original idea, giving some people (females) 8 pins does not give them an advantage, it merely makes them turn up to a tournament where they did not previously.
Now you suggest that a fringe bowler with an average around 200 has an advantage by dropping their league av to under 190 then turning up and adding 8pins at a tournament.
This sounds around about the average of the females likely to be interested that you give 8 pins to, why not males as well... after all , its only to boost numbers and therefore fair anyhow.
Besides, a "
I keep trying to point out it's selective and unfair.. so should not happen but people here are only looking at "more entries"
First and foremost, before an idea is implemented should be "is it fair to all"

I'm the

Like you mate, I never choose my entire arsenal on the graph, I choose 3 balls plus my plastic and then chuck in a couple of balls I'm comfortable using on a variety of conditions. But not everybody has te same approach. Some guys don't want to fork out another $40-$50 on excess to take more gear over. I know a few people get a little disheartened wen they turn up to a tourney and find out the pattern has changed for whatever reason.....

And this is where people aren't understanding that the pattern not so much necessarily is changed to a different pattern, but that each pattern laid will never be the same in different centres. All bowlers should follow that approach, do you really need more than 6 at a WTBA pattern tournament? And others are also not as fortunate as ourselves to have sponsored equipment and therefore will not be worrying about having a ball to suit each pattern.

The TBA will swear black and blue that no patterns were altered last year, but depending who you speak to, you get a different story. So far this year as far asn I am aware, no patterns were altered, aside from Perth with a slight reduction in mL across the lane, but hardly enough to do anything.

Same comment on the 8 pins bonus for fringe bowlers, 190 average ones, or whatever, as I said earlier for Seniors---"Not a very good idea. Seniors have their own tournaments. We're talking here about scratch events. "

Everyone clear on that? Scratch events.

Yes, but after her first win, she would have lost the 8 pin advantage so she would have gone back to competing at scratch anyway, so that point becomes moot.

Brenton

please explain to me how after Caras first win she is off scratch. Does winning incur a gender change. She is still female so still gets 8 pins. At least that is how i read it.

Cheers
Phil

According to the original idea, giving some people (females) 8 pins does not give them an advantage, it merely makes them turn up to a tournament where they did not previously.
Now you suggest that a fringe bowler with an average around 200 has an advantage by dropping their league av to under 190 then turning up and adding 8pins at a tournament.
This sounds around about the average of the females likely to be interested that you give 8 pins to, why not males as well... after all , its only to boost numbers and therefore fair anyhow.
Besides, a "
I keep trying to point out it's selective and unfair.. so should not happen but people here are only looking at "more entries"
First and foremost, before an idea is implemented should be "is it fair to all"

Pete, most females that enter the open tournaments, certainly have averages well above 200, and so do the majority of male bowlers bowling as well. The main difference is I guess the females that tend to enter, whilst potentially good (and possibly have similar skill levels) still need assistance because as much as we would all like things to be equal, they cannot compete each and every time again male opponents and it is more a pure physical nature than anything else. I have already said, I am neither here nor there with this, but I am willing to give this idea a chance to see what happens and I can certainly see all points of view. I understand how the so called fringe bowlers can be put out by this if they miss a cut by not getting the bonus pins, but taking the recent tournament on board, if I hadn't thrown it well enough to make it inside the top 32 and missed spares and generally had a bad time, I don't think I would be feeling too hard done by with those finishing above me knowing I didn't throw it so well. And I also don't see the bonus as being disparaging to women as some have suggested but then again I am not a female, nor know what goes on inside their heads lol.

In regards to your post above about giving other categories assistance, the only thing I would suggest is giving juniors reduced entry fees to encourage their participation, they are the future after all and already cost their parents a fortune, plus will have to make the transition into adult tournaments sooner or later lol.

I also agree that if you open up the 8 pin advantage to lower average bowlers, you would be surprised to see how low some peoples average can certainly go and then that wouldn't prove anything.

The other side to this is that at present, there is a big lack of depth in our high end female bowling ranks, who can seriously match it with the worlds best. By encouraging the women to enter these tournaments, bowl on the patterns in a tournament environment it can possibly help increase their skill level over a shorter period of time. Just another thought.

Why do women get the start? Basic Physiology.

Take a a quick look at these records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_athletics

I see ONE record which is higher in the women then the men. Discus. Wanna know why? The men throw 2kg. The ladies 1kg.

Simple fact of life. Evolution has dictated that men are naturally faster, stronger and more powerful then women. I'm fairly certain that the women that compete at the Olympics, in Golf, in Tennis, in any other top sport in the world have access to, and are given the same benefits as the men. But yet, men still seem to do things at a higher level. The best women bowlers now compete on the PBA. They've won one title. You don't even really get to see them on TV. Kelly Kulick warms the bench in the PBA league, and there is no doubt how good of a bowler she is.

If you don't like it. Don't bowl. But don't tell others what to think. Let them make their own decisions based on facts, not opinions. Facts such as the success of European and Asian tours which give their women 8 pins in tournaments and then have their women's team go away to international events and do well. Facts such as the basic physiology that is the way we are made. Facts that say if you train smarter and harder, then you'll be more competitive as well.

I'd rather have our women compete with the men and get 8 pins a game then have them all just lose interest and stop bowling. Ideally, they have their own stops and their own tournament calendar which is viable for lots of women to travel to. But this simply hasn't been the case in the last... decade? So, until the numbers of women are high enough (50+) to warrant their own tournament series, this is the best way to make everyone better. Yep, even the guys.

Later, Cow

Instead of making it 190 ave from a league(s) and under gets bowlers access to the 8 pin start rule, why not make it that your last 3,4 or 5 tournament averages determine your eligibility for the 8 pin start rule?

If somebody was slack enough to sandbag down to a 190 ave in league to get bonus pins then shame on them, but with tournament results people cant really do that can they? Obviously there would have to be a process for nominating previous tournaments but most of our events we bowl get results put on this site anyway.

Everybody enjoys their bowling differently. Some people think things should go their way, others like me are happy to go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is! :)

I think people are losing the fact that generally women are physically weaker then men.

So therefore as a general rule are unable to compete on a level playing field in our sport.

Of course like anything there will be outliers that are outside the general or standard. Our sport has an advantage that size and strength doesn't necessarily determine how good you will be before you start but as a general rule the top men outscore the top women meaning there must be some advantage gained from the physical advantage males have over females.

Occasionally a women will turn up who can compete head to head with the men, but very rarely and even then they cannot do it consistently. Kelly Kulick is an example, good enough to win an open PBA event but doesn't consistently make finals in the male events. But she is an outlier.

The top women in our sport are generally better then the average men with or without the 8 pins advantage but the 8 pins is about giving them the chance to compete with the above average men.
The average women in our sport are generally below the standard of the average men the 8 pins is about giving them a chance to compete.

People thinking 8 pins give the women an unfair advantage against the men are kidding themselves. The statistics support the 8 pins does not give the women as a whole an unfair advantage or men as a whole.

Sure the top women are already better then the average men and they get an advantage against this part of the field but it allows the top women to compete with the top men, which is the aim. It also encourages the average women to have a crack as it closes the gap for them.

I'm an average bowler and the top women are better then me, I accept that, but on a whole men out score women so why shouldn't they get some sort of head start to be able to compete.

Instead of making it 190 ave from a league(s) and under gets bowlers access to the 8 pin start rule, why not make it that your last 3,4 or 5 tournament averages determine your eligibility for the 8 pin start rule?

If somebody was slack enough to sandbag down to a 190 ave in league to get bonus pins then shame on them, but with tournament results people cant really do that can they? Obviously there would have to be a process for nominating previous tournaments but most of our events we bowl get results put on this site anyway.

Everybody enjoys their bowling differently. Some people think things should go their way, others like me are happy to go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is! :)
Why not just bowl handicap events then?

People are missing the point of what I'm saying. If a tournament was made up of only the best 10 guys and the best 10 girls then by all means give the girls the extra 8 pins but its not that way. The tournaments are made up of the best 10 girls/guys, and the rest which is more that the best put together provide the bulk of the prize fund. ....Well they do now but for how long who knows. Lets just say that this plan does not work to increase entries, then what? will they give all the ave guys 8 pins to get them back...I dont think so.

P.s Mistagear I would like to buy you a beer one day mate, your all over it lol

Pete, most females that enter the open tournaments, certainly have averages well above 200, and so do the majority of male bowlers bowling as well. The main difference is I guess the females that tend to enter, whilst potentially good (and possibly have similar skill levels) still need assistance because as much as we would all like things to be equal, they cannot compete each and every time again male opponents and it is more a pure physical nature than anything else. I have already said, I am neither here nor there with this, but I am willing to give this idea a chance to see what happens and I can certainly see all points of view. I understand how the so called fringe bowlers can be put out by this if they miss a cut by not getting the bonus pins, but taking the recent tournament on board, if I hadn't thrown it well enough to make it inside the top 32 and missed spares and generally had a bad time, I don't think I would be feeling too hard done by with those finishing above me knowing I didn't throw it so well. And I also don't see the bonus as being disparaging to women as some have suggested but then again I am not a female, nor know what goes on inside their heads lol.

In regards to your post above about giving other categories assistance, the only thing I would suggest is giving juniors reduced entry fees to encourage their participation, they are the future after all and already cost their parents a fortune, plus will have to make the transition into adult tournaments sooner or later lol.

I also agree that if you open up the 8 pin advantage to lower average bowlers, you would be surprised to see how low some peoples average can certainly go and then that wouldn't prove anything.

The other side to this is that at present, there is a big lack of depth in our high end female bowling ranks, who can seriously match it with the worlds best. By encouraging the women to enter these tournaments, bowl on the patterns in a tournament environment it can possibly help increase their skill level over a shorter period of time. Just another thought.

Michael,
Thanks for the reply, appreciate a polite discussion.
My argument is based on fairness to all parties bowling. I'm not exactly sure what reason the rule has been introduced, is it to increase numbers in tournaments or is it to build an elite female team at expense of open tournament bowlers ?

"most females that enter the open tournaments, certainly have averages well above 200, and so do the majority of male bowlers bowling as well"
So you admit the known females will have an advantage in excluding equally skilled males from making cuts ?

"And I also don't see the bonus as being disparaging to women as some have suggested "
Females in Australia are capable of front line combat duties in our Armed Forces, but not capable of bowling on sports patterns without assistance...apparently. Seriously, if a female needs an 8 pin advantage to improve her skills to international competition, she is never going to cut it internationally anyway.

"In regards to your post above about giving other categories assistance, the only thing I would suggest is giving juniors reduced entry fees to encourage their participation"
Give females reduced fees to encourage them to bowl rather than an advantage of more pins if you want more entries.

As far as sandbagging, easy to eliminate it by making the cost to achieve the average greater than the gain of winning a tournament. eg the average used has to be from a greater number of games (at a value of $3 ea game ) than the first place prize fund. So if you sandbag you need to spend more than what a win would receive in prize money. If you top ten in an event you lose your 8 pin handicap for 12mths.

I keep going back to this.. It's the principle of fair play which is of paramount importance. Once that principle is lost, you bring the sport into disrepute. Having only the females able to bowl the maximum score proves the rule to be unfair, that has already happened.
TBA should be accountable for making all competition fair, I think this rule breaches that principle.

Well said Mistagear. I would like to see someone argue against your logic. I guess i just do get the warm and fuzzy feeling some people get by helping those poor underscoring women bowlers. The way i see it, and it maybe harsh, is if the women don't want to support their sport then its their bad luck. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

If its fair to give all females 8 pins per game in the name of bolstering tournament entries, why not give every bowler with a league average less than 190 the same 8 pins handicap....

Main problem with that is a 189 average bowler in a real tough centre will almost always be a far better bowler than a 191 average bowler in a much easier house. Until there is a rating system for centres like there is for golf clubs, this idea would be completely inequitable.

What everyone is forgetting is that should a female/sub190 average/senior whatever other category win a national tournament witht he 8 pin handocap, they would lose that handicap thereafter. You could even have a system whereby a player loses half their handicap if they make the cut. The fact is this system works brilliantly nearly everywhere else in the world and we have been slow to adopt it. The proof will be in the pudding one way or the other whether the system works or not in Australia.

As an aside ,if they want to give seniors an 8 pin handicap per game in national tournaments, I WILL BE THERE!

Back
Top Bottom