24 balls ?

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
Just picked up a Facebook Post with a pic of 24 balls all belonging to the one young bowler.
Have to wonder if technique forms any part of the arsenal these days or do we just buy technique from the pro shop?

The person in question is Jayden Leming; I fail to see how commenting on his 'technique coming from a proshop' has any benefit what-so-ever...

Bowling is a sport and a hobby; my other sport is soccer, and I have upto 10-12 pairs of soccer boots... Certainly doesn't make my technique come from my boots...

If bowlers choose to spend their hard earned money on bowling balls and new technology; who gives a sh_t.... ?

*edit*
Might also mention that Jayden purchases his equipment through his local distributor; which in turn is making his 'little piece of the bowling world' spin around...

What a terrible thread. No wonder the sport is going down the gurgler.

Why bring this up?

I know of plenty of people who have lots of gear and I don't see them getting a thread asking if they have just bought a technique.

Exactly this.. ^^^

Also; I expected better from the thread creator... This could have been made without specifing that you saw it on a 'young bowlers facebook' followed by questions on Balls = Skill/Technique.

Maybe my bad for asking the name to be mentioned.

However I wanted to know as if it was about someone else I would have had more to say.

Guys relax, you don’t need to come rushing to the rescue, and I’m not attacking anyone. I know the person concerned, and I know exactly how good a bowler that person is. And FWIW there have been other recent illustrations on FB of multiple bowling ball ownership.

I was simply trying to start a discussion based on equipment versus technique. The last time anything appeared on FB illustrating a large collection, I had cause to explain to a dismayed Junior parent who was shown the post, that it wasn’t necessarily essential to spend thousands of dollars on equipment to reach an elite level.

Guys relax, you don’t need to come rushing to the rescue, and I’m not attacking anyone. I know the person concerned, and I know exactly how good a bowler that person is. And FWIW there have been other recent illustrations on FB of multiple bowling ball ownership.

I was simply trying to start a discussion based on equipment versus technique. The last time anything appeared on FB illustrating a large collection, I had cause to explain to a dismayed Junior parent who was shown the post, that it wasn’t necessarily essential to spend thousands of dollars on equipment to reach an elite level.

You are right, you don't have to spend thousands on bowling balls to get to an elite level. However, you will need to invest thousands to be COMPETITIVE at an elite level. Bowling is more than just throwing the ball good. It's about understanding lane patterns, breakdown and entry angle. I have bowled a lot of tournaments over the years and seen plenty of bowlers out bowl someone but lose on the score board, all due to not matching up equipment to the lanes. It's part of the modern game, gone are the days where you have 2 balls and be competitive. I believe that if you want to compete at national level, you need an absolute minimum of 8 balls and 12 is about where it is at. Obviously you don't need to carry all of them to every event as the odds of needing your early rolling, high flaring ball on a low volume, short length pattern are about zero.

In essence, coaches need to become more versatile in what they are teaching. It is vitally important to provide coaching on good technique but it is only half of what a player needs these days. At the end of the day, if you have 2 boards to hit to strike and the guy you're up against has 4 boards to hit because he has made a better ball selection it is all over before it has even begun.

CT

Gee, how simple our world is in Kegel 9-pin bowling. As long as the ball is 16cm in diameter, weighs 2.85kg and has two or no finger-holes, it is legal. The rest is solely up to the person that hangs on the end of it. This will show you who has skill.

Just picked up a Facebook Post with a pic of 24 balls all belonging to the one young bowler.
Have to wonder if technique forms any part of the arsenal these days or do we just buy technique from the pro shop?

Andrew, the question you ask is valid, just might have asked it a little differently.

Now, to answer it, if Jayden knows his equipment, how it reacts to different conditions, transitions and carry characteristics, then what he is buying from the Pro Shop, is PERCENTAGES! Whenever a field turns up to a tournament, there is only a small percentage of that field that are capable of winning that event. Of THAT percentage, an even smaller percentage of bowlers have the perfect equipment matchup for that condition. One of the techniques of todays game is knowing your equipment, what to use, when to use it, and when to change to maximize your carry percentages. It is not uncommon for bowlers to turn up at an event with 1 or 2 blanks, practice and then drill up something to suit. THIS IS THE MODERN GAME!

Having said that, a poor physical technique isn't going to win you a tournament even if your equipment matches up perfectly, but a grrat technique with poorly matched up equipment is a recipe for a similar result.

An Old saying come to mind here
""If you have a problem throw money at it""

I'm sorry Nev, but, in my opinion, that is an overly simplistic (and old school) response. The game has changed. 24 balls is out of most peoples reach financially, but if he can do it, good luck to him.

Some people see getting new gear as part of the recreation, having said that, Jayden is a talent and doesnt need all that gear but maybe he just enjoys it. I love punching up a new ball every few weeks...find it satisfying using brand new gear. Plus running a proshop allows me to promote it. Its fun! which is something that is so often forgotten.

First off. Nothing hits like fresh cover stock. NOTHING. It's something I learned on tour in 1992 and it still holds true. That's why I'm always harping on about cleaning your gear.

If people like drilling new gear, good on them. If they like to study it's reaction and develop a freakish eye for ball roll, even better. If they want to then be able to play with rev rates, release angles, speed, loft and projection to really round it out, then look out! They're taking the money on Sunday! :)

Bowling balls accumulate over time. (They "accrete", if you want to improve your vocabulary.) And it's not like they go off on the shelf. I shudder to think how any rocks I've drilled over the years! But it's a LOT more than 24!

Cheers,
Jason

Aside from this being a poorly formed thread, the one thing until Jason posted, that I think anyone has failed to mention is that, if you were to look at the post of FB and I saw it, along with a couple of others, is that if you are up on todays equipment and knowledge, you would quite easily see it is more of an accumulation of equipment over a period of time, not all 24 balls if that is the number, are recent. Whilst Roto Grip and Storm keeping pumping out wonderful equipment, they certainly don't make and release that many within a short space of time.

Equipment versus technique is one question, highlighting that a prominent youth player has a decent arsenal of balls is another. I know even way back when I was in juniors in my older years and into youth/adults, I had a fairly large collection of equipment, it just happens.

Equipment versus technique as Brenton and others have alluded to, makes a massive difference. No point in having it if technique is poor, or having it if you don't understand it, even if technique is great.

Back
Top Bottom