2006 New South Wales Open – AMF Super Six Round 4

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Monday 24th July 2006 – The 32-lane centre at AMF Mt Druitt played host to the prestigious 2006 New South Wales Open under the guidance of new AMF National Tournament Director, Brett Smith.

This event forming part of the Tenpin Bowling Australia National Rankings Tour also attracted double ranking points with entries from 63 men and 27 women from around Australia and New Zealand journeying to the centre in the far western suburbs of Sydney.

Men’s Day One Qualifying – fresh from his gold medal performance at the Commonwealth Championship, left-hander George Frilingos of Queensland, headed qualifying at the halfway mark with games of 224, 199, 202, 220 & 205 to be +50. Challenges for the lead came from Craig Bourke, +60, Brandon Qualischefski, +33 and Michael Little, +32. Paul Reus was the only other bowler over the card at this point while there was daylight to the rest of the field.

Northern Territory bowler Andrew McArthur, -77, then found some form recording the tournament high game of 299, supporting this with games of 200, 231, 227 & 199 to jump the field and lead qualifying with a pinfall of 2079 over the 10 games. Little at +68 and Qualischefski at +59 where the only other bowlers to beat the card on this testing lane condition. The field cut to the top 24 bowlers after Day One for a Day Two 4 game shootout to establish the top 14 for the Elimination Finals.

Women’s Day One Qualifying – Northern Territory bowler Rebecca Simpson and Queenslander Kate Wilton shared the lead at the halfway mark of qualifying at -25. Solid final games by Ann-Maree Putney -16, Jayde Flanagan -18 and Michelle Halprin at -67 saw them jump the midway leaders and set the tone for the top 14 into Day Two Elimination Finals.

Men’s Day Two Qualifying – the battle to make the top 14 returned to a 4 game shootout on Sunday morning. The top 2 after these 4 games secured a one round bye into the Elimination Final and the battle for these spots intensified right from the first ball. Frilingos was the big mover from 7th overnight with starting games of 266 & 220 and knocking on the door of the top spots. With follow up games of 234 & 177 Frilingos jumped to the lead ahead of McArthur, Qualischefski and the fast improving Jason Walsh. Sam Romeo, Mark Loader, Craig Bourke and Matt Riley all improved positions to make the final 14.

Men’s Elimination Final – round one of this single elimination best of 5 game final saw no surprises with seeds 3 through 7 all accounting for their opposition. Round 2 pitted the defending champion, Sam Romeo, against two time NSW Open winner George Frilingos into a 5 game battle which saw Frilingos emerge victorious 3 games to 2. McArthur easily accounted for Paul Trotter, while Qualischefski and Little were both stretched to 5 games before moving to the next round.

The semi final round saw Frilingos pitted against Qualischefski and McArthur take on Little. Frilingos and McArthur both took care of their opposition 3 games to 1 to progress to the all lefty final.

Andrew McArthur, being the fresher of the two, took advantage of this in the final and snared games of 223, 231 and 166 to defeat Frilingos 3-0 to add another major title to his resume.

Women’s Elimination Final – the Northern Territory dominance in this event continued in the Women’s Finals with Michelle Halprin accounting for Victorian Natalie Shelley in 5 games and Rebecca Simpson over Katie Stuart in 4. Kelly Gardiner and Kate Wilton made it through in 4 games, while Maxine Nable and Julie Hird only took 3 games.

Top qualifying Ann-Maree Putney and second seed Jayde Flanagan took advantage of their opponents in round two, while Michelle Halprin was again stretched to 5 against Gardiner. Simpson defeated Wilton in 3.

Putney was pitted against Simpson in the semi final. With Putney finding the line early recorded a 244 to 219 first game win, Simpson followed this with games of 269, 217 & 238 to take the match and move through to the Grand Final to meet Flanagan who also accounted for Halprin in 4 games.

The all Northern Territory grand final was one of the best matches of the day with Simpson taking the first game 205-194, Flanagan rebounding to take the next two games 193-174 and 181-170, while Simpson recovered to tie it up into the 5th game, 200-188. Both bowlers slugged it out in the final game coming down to only a spare in the tenth frame to secure the title for the 22 year old Flanagan, her first major title.

The next round of the AMF Super Six circuit moves south to Victoria and the South Pacific Classic on the 15th – 17th September 2006. The 2006 South Pacific Classic also forms the qualifying for the Australian representative to the 2006 AMF World Cup in Venezuela.

Story courtesy of Peter Coburn

Full results are available here

Well done Andrew on the win and George on second.

It is good to see another consistant high scoring tournament from amf.

storm king said:
Well done Andrew on the win and George on second.

It is good to see another consistant high scoring tournament from amf.

i hope that was a sarcastic remark hahah, i think people want to see strikes not spares and people winning on 170 games, it doesnt do alot for the sport.

I think some things need to change, the cream will always rise to the top no matter what pattern is down

mattr said:
i hope that was a sarcastic remark hahah, i think people want to see strikes not spares and people winning on 170 games, it doesnt do alot for the sport.
I think some things need to change, the cream will always rise to the top no matter what pattern is down

Well that is where the whole dilemma lies Matt. It seems to be that half of bowlers believe that nationally ranked tournaments should be tough, leaning on the side of sports conditions, while the other half believe like you do, that they should be exciting and condusive to higher scoring.

It's "integrity" vs "appeal".

To be totally honest, scoring has to be at least moderately high to attract interest, to get people interested with the "wow" factor. Seeing the best in Australia throwing 140's (and a 119 to one), does not provide the wow factor.. at least not the right type of wow factor.

Tight conditions certainly have their place, and are a hugely important part of the sport. On the flipside, low scoring kills interest much more than a carry contest.

The problem with these tough patterns is not for the good bowlers because at the end off the day more times than not they will end up at the top end off the feild. The problem lays for those who are not quit so good but manage to make the cut here and there and fill the minor positions, and basically create the prize fund for the good bowlers. How long can they expect the majority off the field to show up average 170 or 180 and then back up and out lay another 300 bucks for the joy off doing it all again. If it continues down this track the average bowler will not show up anymore which will not really affect the good bowlers but they wont have much off a prize fund to play for, so at the end off the day which is the better option high scoring with high entries or low scoring with low entries ??????

Mankind_280 said:
And whether you are catering to the sport or the game

To me, creating interest and appeal is catering to the sport.

Having everybody shoot 170s is not the only way to cater to "the sport"

Either way congratulations must go to Andrew McArthur and Jayde Flanagan respectively, on there outstanding achievements on what i believe to be trying conditions over the weekend ... 3-1's, Sport Patterns, or Open Ditches make for another post or topic as this one is all about what these two talented bowlers achieved over the weekend..

Don’t spoil there post by talking about something else..

Once again well done guys

It has been said many times in other threads and now here too. Matt Riley is spot on with his comment. THE CREAM WILL ALWAYS RISE TO THE TOP!!! No matter what condition is out there. These guys will always turn up to these events and without fail will be at the top.
The problem i see is that for bowlers like myself, is that when a condition like this gets put down, we dont have the equipment for it. We bowl league and never have to bowl on conditions such as this so we need to be buying a set of balls for league and a set for these super wet conditions coz normal shots dont work on it. I had the pleasure of bowling next to Matt Riley in qualifying and i over heard him say that he had never had to throw a shot like he was in the end ..... since he bowled juniors!!! Then when u look and see current and former Australian reps finishing as low down as they have, it does make you wonder whether or not these really tough conditions are good for the sport.
Here is an alternative but will open up a can of worms.
Why cant the TBA enforce centres to lay tougher house patterns with more oil so that the people who hold 210 - 220 averages and probably shouldnt (myself included) , their averages come down to a more realistic figure. Week in week out you get the opportunity to practice on that pattern trying to improve then when you come to your Super Six Events/TBA Ranked Events, they can be made a little more open. Tough but opened up a bit. Give all bowlers a chance to score. If a bowler can bowl decent on a house pattern he/she will more than likely be putting their names down for tournaments hence increasing numbers of the events, better prize moneys.
Its just really tough for the sport. Less people are bowling coz the conditions are so tough, but if you make it too easy our sport doesnt get taken seriously.
Just my 2cents worth
Kelvin

Congratulations to Andrew and Jayde for there respective victories,and to both male and female finalists.
As for the condition,yes it was tough,and last weekend proved that realisticly,im a 190 avg bowler and not a 210+ avg at my local centre.But i can live with that and i still enjoy competing against Australias best,and if they put the same condition down again next week,it wouldnt stop me from entering again.
glen :)

Back
Top Bottom