1st Ball

S

StreetxXxBadass

Well, me and a few friends are looking to be joining a league and maybe more later, and we really don't feel like having to get the right house ball or anything like that when we do. So were all looking to get a bowling ball, but don't really know much about ball types and what to get. So If anyone would be able to help me out with where I should start that would be great.

When looking at bowling balls they have stuff about if you want to specify top weight or pin placemen. What does that effect exaclty and how would I know if I want to do that and what I would specify??

Cover Stock...??
Surface...??
Core designs...??
RG Differential...??
RG Average...??

I know one time I was looking at some and they gave a chart like how the ball would spin best but haven't seen one again...

And for the recomended lane conditions, what would be the best since we'd be going to atleast 2, maybe 3 different places to bowl sometimes?

I'm guessing the being your first league that you bowl straight with conventional drilling (not finger tip)
This being the case you should start with a plastic ball (Polyester). You can probably get all drilled up for you for about $120, shop around, some pro-shops might offer a ball/shoes/tote bag offer for about $200. You don't have to worry about pin placement, drilling configuation or any of that stuff until you decide to take the sport up seriously and get into reactive balls with finger-tip drilling.

Graeme

Actually we don't bowl straight. Its our first league, but we've been bowling plenty of times to have taught ourselfs pretty much. We don't use 3 fingers(no thumb) cause for some reason I can't seem to get the release down, since I haven't had anyone to be there and really teach me. So if you could help us out more now that'd be great.

Gday,

Firstly, thanks for taking up the sport of bowling! Without new inductions all the time, the sport can't continue to grow!!!

Even though alot of people recommend a plastic balls as the first ball to own, and for juniors i totally agree due to lack of ball speed. For Adults I can't see the need to use plastic as their first ball, as most should be able to generate enough effortless speed to keep the ball on track.

A conventionally drilled entry level reactive (imho) is best for a learning bowler, as it will react how you throw it. If you learn a hook release, its going to hook, and if you throw it straight, its going to go straight! The picks of the bunch are (but not limited to): brunswick power groove, columbia scouts, ebonite tornados, visionary gargoyles and amf scamps.

Your release should improve with a ball drilled to your own hand. If drilled correctly, you should be able to deliver the ball with very little grip pressure applied, which should help with repeating shots. Depending on the area you are located in, a coach is definately recommended.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any furthur questions. Apart from that, I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers!

Okay, No thumb, 2 fingers in the ball and roll the hand round the ball as you release.
You will not find this style in any of the coaching manuals but it is probably the only way to get a house-ball to hook. If you intend to continue bowling this way then in my opinion a reactive ball would be a waste, stay with the plastic ball but certainly buy your own.
If you want to step up to the next level then go see your local proshop and tell them you want an entry level reactive ball with a 2 - 4 inch pin. Any of the main brands are good; Storm, Brunswick, Columbia, Ebonite etc. Tell him you want to start finger tip bowling, and would like something like a 130 or label leverage layout. See if he can give you some coaching. You will find that with some basic coaching you will start to get the release you are looking for with you thumb in the ball. I believe you will have a little more control too. Bowling is not about how much hook you get but about getting the right amount of skid then roll.

All the other stuff like Differential, potential, core design etc is really irrelevant if you haven't got a consistent swing and release. It's like worrying about what sort of tyres to put on your car and forgetting to put petrol in the tank.

Just my opinion, feel free to take it or leave it as you see fit.
Graeme

I don't prefess to know much about bowling, have been bowling 2 leagues for over 12 months, and off and for a few years. My brother bowls with the same style as you, and he has been bowling league for around 12 months. Started because he would use my ball, and the thumb was too small for him ..... Anyway, he now bowls hard and fast, with a lot of ball movement. He bowls with a ebonite showtime pearl, and a V2 Clean. Bowling with no thumb, and hooking it around his body requires a hell of a lot of body control, and one small change in swing, shoulder height, approach, and he is in the gutter. He feels the lane condition changes more than I do, however he has very good ball speed control, and uses it for aiming more than changing his starting position, or arrows.

Anyway, the V2 clean is a reactive ball, and is drilled to turn reasonably late and hard. The showtime is drilled to turn, but bc of the coverstock difference he tends to get less movement. I guess it depends on your ball speed is what I am getting at. If you can bowl with no thumb, and fang it down, a high hooking ball will be fine, but if you don't have a high ball speed, tone the ball down a tad. I do recomend the showtime though, it improved my brothers game.

You might want to consider "borrowing" a reactive ball from someone, and having a few throws with it. Especially with no thumb, it won't matter if the span is not right for you.

Well using the 2 fingers, ya I know you won't find it coached or whatever, and when two of my friends decided to start doing it their wrists always started hurting cause they would rotate their hand all the way to the top when releasing. Started telling them that they need to do 3 or just straight basicly. One day one those friends and I went and the straight just wasn't working for me and I couldn't get the right ball(one i'd usually use at the bowling alley since its a small place, like 12 lanes i think.) So i did the whole 2 fingers and i only rotate half the way to like shaking someones hand and started working great, prefected it some to be consistant more guess you could say, and have stuck with it for prob the past month and half or so. But also I think one my problems is the I can never find a ball with holes to fit my thumb and be the right weight for me to hold.

Granat what you mean "All the other stuff like Differential, potential, core design etc is really irrelevant if you haven't got a consistent swing and release" What would stepping up to the next level be?? Throwing 3 fingers?? Just wondering... Cause bowlings something I really like to do when I get the chance and wish I had someone to be there and teach me everything.

As for my ball speed, I think im around like 11-12 whenever were at lanes that tell you the speed. When It comes to picking up my 10 pin spares(being right handed), I move to like the other lanes gutter almost, and try puting more speed into it, I guess so I can still throw same way just where it won't curve as much/soon. I stand at the furthest dot on the left and aim for the 2nd one in one the lane for reg shot.

I know once I can actually learn more and whatnot from someone I won't have to do some things i guess, last time we went(yesterday) bowled 173 high on the day. Next time we go I'll record all my scores and get an average, which should be in a couple days. I think that I can be pretty consitant on my shot once I get it. After we go and I post again, I'll me more specific on how I throw the ball and where if that would help anymore also.

About borrowing a ball, thats the thing, I really don't know anyone that bowls and would have their own ball that I could borrow, or even know anyone well enough that they'd let me.

And also, thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Consistant swing and release is just what it sounds like.
You need to practice to get to a point where the way you swing and release the ball is the same every time. This will give you good consistant ball speed and rotation of the ball. It sounds like you're keen to improve and that's great but you're not sure what is required. The next level would be to go and watch a few leagues and see if there is somebody bowling the way you want to bowl. Watch them and see what it is that they do. It can be hard sometimes to see how they are releasing the ball but watch how the ball moves down the lane.
Ask at your centre if there is anybody who coaches or if there is a somebody in the proshop who can answer a few questions. It's okay to ask questions on here but it's very hard to tell what you may be doing right or wrong without seeing you bowl.
Bowling with two fingers or three fingers or even five fingers is entirely up to you. There are a few successful bowlers who do not use a thumb hole but be aware that it a bit of an unknown science and chances are you will not be able to find anybody who can coach you. If you get a ball specially drilled, you will not have the issues of finding a thumb hole that fits. If you get an entry level or even mid range reactive ball, with finger-tip drilling and somebody to show you the basics then you will not be sorry cos that's when the magic starts to happen.
BTW where do you bowl?

Graeme
PS Are you sure about the 11-12 ball speed?

I have a consistant swing and realease. Well atleast I think I do. My ball speed stays consitant when were at lanes with the readers. Only time I pick up the speed is to pick up right side spares, like the 10 pin. But as for where I bowl I, I live in the US, in Colorado. Bowl at Brunswick Circle Lanes and Valley Bowl which is right down the street and is a small owned alley with like 12 lanes. But since you live in Australia though it prob won't help out knowing really...lol.
As for my speed, what you mean about being sure?? Is that low, high or something?? Just wondering...
But as for ball, one I was looking at was the Circle Voltage. I know you'll prob say its something I shouldn't worry about but I do...lol. Would that one be good to use for the type or something??

LOL
I was thinking that 11-12 seemed really quite slow but given you live in Colorado you're talking Miles not Kilometers per hour so 11-12 is reasonable.
Don't get me wrong, your first ball is a big deal and it's important that you get the ball you want and one you're going to enjoy bowling with. You have so many more options in the States than we do over here. I looked up the Voltage on BowlingBallReviews and it looks to be a good choice. Go for it

Graeme

Well, when we went bowling, we bowled 3 games... 126, 143, 164.

Now when getting the ball... what would specifying top weight or pin placement be and would I want to do that at all?? If so to what??

I'll probably be ordering it here in the next couple of weeks.

Now my next question would be something about using a spare ball?? Is it recomended or not?? Cause I've seen people use one and others not... If so would getting one depend on the bowling or is there like certain types that would be recomended??

Congratulations on taking up this wonderful sport.

About the pin placement and top weight, at this stage that's probably not all that important. My advice is to talk to your local ball driller/proshop guy, and ask him about it. The top weight gives the driller certain options when laying out a ball, the same is true with the pin placement. Have a talk to your proshop guy about it, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

About spare balls, many bowlers use them. They are nearly always plastic so that they hook only a minimal amount. If you hook a ball a lot, or are unable to "break your wrist" position at release for spares such as the 6 or 10 pin (to reduce the hook and create a straight ball), then it would be advisable for you to get one. Once again, have a chat to the proshop guy or a coach about it.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom