Vegas summary

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Well finally back home and now I have a decent chance to explain the formats and what has gone on over the last 2 weeks. Vegas hosts 3 tournaments twice a year called the Megabuck Series. The Megabuck series is made up of the High Roller, the Eliminator and the True Amatuer Challenge. They are held over 7-10 days each event and are held at the Orleans, Sams Town and Texas Station bowling centres.

Each tournament is based on qualifying for the finals. To qualify you have to finish in the top 1:10 ratio in your age/group division. Eg. I was in the under 39 division and say there was 60 bowlers in my squad they would take the top 6 bowlers for the finals per 2 squads bowled. Qualifying is 3 games at all the centres, some squads easier than others but if you bowl the easier squads expect to the scores to be high. As a general avg. you needed to shoot 680 for 3 before lunch and 720+ after lunch to make the finals. Leading the squad gives you 2 byes in the finals and leading the day gives you 4 byes in the final series. I only qualified in the Eliminator. Belmo qualified all 3 and lead squads at Texas Station and the High Roller.

Getting to the point now, I didnt bowl that well at the start and bowling 630 seemed pretty easy to do but it was never going to be enough. I was sick with a fever for several days which didnt help. I felt a bit better towards the end of the trip and thought I would give the Eliminator another crack and jagged a 278 in my last game to finish with a 688, 8 pins off 2 byes.

Finals format at the Eliminator is that the field in your division bowl and then the avg for that 1 game is taken, if your over you go on, if your under your out. $500 US for making the finals, $750 for 2nd round, $1000 for 3rd round, $1500 for 4th round, $2000 for 5th round, etc. Go 7 rounds and your through the final 5 who compete for the $50K 1st place.

Jason was an early casualty in the 1st round going out with 180 something, I got through with a strike in the 10th for 202, 1st round cut score 193. Second round I opened the tenth for 204, 2nd round cut score was 202. Got to the 3rd round and I struggled on the left lane and after leaving the 7-10 out of the pocket in the 10th, my 181 was never going to be enough. Cut score jumped to 212 3rd round. I finished with $1000 US for my troubles.

Jason recruited me in the Eliminator which made us eligable for a bonus \" Recruiter Doubles Bonus \" where they pay 10 places. With Jasons 717 and my 688 we scrapped home the 10th place cheque for $250 US each.

In summary I only jagged $1350 US in bowling earnings but thanks to a $2000 US jackpot I hit on the 5c poker machine I walked away with my wallet in tact. It was tough over there and I need to be a little better prepared before I go back. Jason put on an unbelievable performance over the 2 weeks, coming 2nd in the True Amatuer Challenge for $12000 US, final 10 at the High roller for $3000 US and 1st round Elimintor for $500 plus countless bracket and pot wins. If your a right handed power player and you have a backer or are willing to back yourself its worth the trip.

Not taking anything away from Jason because he bowled incrediably well but the fact is the power players over time open up the lanes for themselves through shear numbers and its hard to mix it when they have half the lane to hit. For the record, Timmy Mack came 2nd in both the Eliminator and the high Roller for $25000 US each event. With how the winners scored, he should have been going home with $100000 instead of $50000 US.

It was a great trip, looking forward to the NSW open and Caboolture open this weekend. Thanks for the emails, I\'ll have some interesting photos up on my website www.georgefrilingos.com soon. :) cheers

Congrats to my travelling buddy once again on winning more than $18000 US in 2 weeks.

See everyone at NSW open and yes I am definelty bowling (thanks Grayeme)

Shelps aka George......(the new nickname i gave him over seas) it was a pleasure and fun to have gone away with u and ill do it again...... and well who knows....maybe they will shut out the power players and open the left up SOME more :)

Shelps see u soon mate....and ill see u in open arms

Back
Top Bottom