The USBC of today

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Yes its the US but bowling was on a huge decline not so long ago in the USA. What happened? Associations joined forces, created a marketing arm and worked together. The USBC works closely with the BPAA, See what happens......

Strike Ten Entertainment, the marketing arm of the Bowling Proprietors' Association of America (BPAA), has announced the continued growth of the sport in 2007.

For the second year in a row, participation increased with more than 67.2 million people having bowled across 5400 centers, enabling bowling to maintain its status as the nation's number one participatory sport.

Strike Ten Entertainment also announced that bowling is generating more revenue than ever before, making a $10 billion impact on the U.S. economy. The sport's resurgence has been fueled by new interest from younger bowlers and the advent of entertainment bowling centers.

"We are very pleased to report that 2007 was a great year for the bowling industry. Centers are enjoying increased profitability and seeing a broader consumer demographic," said Jim Sturm, Chairman of Strike Ten Entertainment.

"From The Wall Street Journal to Good Morning America, the media is reporting on bowling as an industry that is on the rise with trendy young consumers. More young people and young families are bowling and centers across the country are selling more food and beverages than ever before."

Strike Ten Entertainment reported that in 2007 the number of traditional bowling centers decreased. Many of these centers are either being reopened as completely remodeled facilities or replaced by larger "entertainment" bowling centers offering amenities including lounge areas and enhanced entertainment, technology and food/beverage offerings.

"These new entertainment bowling centers are generating quadruple the revenue of traditional venues and many longtime centers are stepping up their game and undergoing renovations to tap into surging interest from young adults and young families," added Sturm. "While the misperception still exists that bowling is a sport enjoyed by older males, the average bowler is now 29 years old with 49 percent being female."

The past year also saw increased growth for bowling on the high school and collegiate levels. Bowling maintained its status over ice hockey as the nation's fastest growing high school sport and more than 45 states now recognize bowling on the high school varsity or club level – up from 20 states, six years ago.

Additionally, collegiate bowling is reaching unprecedented levels of popularity, showing a consistent participation increase of one to two percent nearly every year for the past decade.

Strike Ten Entertainment did report a decrease in the number of league bowlers, which was countered by strong growth from recreational players. Recreational players, who now make up half of all bowlers, spend four to five times more per visit contributing to the increased profitability of the sport.

Actually George I'd say this article pretty much reflects what's happening in Australia overall from a bowling business standpoint [some regional areas excluded]. We don't have a program to compare with the US Collegiate system - so that aside - I'd say some interesting and similar outcomes would be reported if Australia undertook a study along the same lines.

Actually George I'd say this article pretty much reflects what's happening in Australia overall from a bowling business standpoint [some regional areas excluded]. We don't have a program to compare with the US Collegiate system - so that aside - I'd say some interesting and similar outcomes would be reported if Australia undertook a study along the same lines.

steve

very true but i think bowling in australia has increased via social play, not league and tournament. I work in an AMF centre and during the past school holidays they were doing 2000 plus games a day

WE need to get AMF/TBA to get more emphasis on the elite side of the sport

Matt - that's what the article states too - social play is well up and has a good deal to do with grabbing a new and younger demographic. It also notes that league is down - as you say - the report reflects on a similar state of the industry here.

And George - I let it go the first time - but I can't go without noting that you have given all the credit [in your intro] for the upward swing at the commercial end of bowling to a combination of effort by USBC and Strike Ten. I think you are titally applauding the messenger George - doubtless some of the Strike Ten marketing activities will have helped spear growth - but as a single reason for the imrpved data - I'd say that is both unrealistic and frankly ignores the extensive and expensive work done by centre/chain operators to expand their facilities and change the model and package that now appeals to and attracts a broader and deeper market.

Steve

spot on there but i guess i have one issue that i think needs to be looked at. AMF and local centres are promoting social play and fucntions. I can understand why they are as its more money than league and tournment and no annoying league bowlers.

As i said i work at an AMF centree and we have no marketing or promotional material from AMF about elite bowling, its all parties, functions and social

Your point is well made Matt - typically - and from my experience AMF has always been aggressive recruiting social players into league - or at least "Come and Try" activities. You know Roy Menachemson always said [well this amongst many other things] - "be famous for something"..wise words. Centres I'm sure are encouraged to generate their own focus on certain areas of the business centre by centre - not all the time of course as there are developed programs in place - but as a one off. It might be just the right time Matt for you and your centre to be famous for developing in-centre recruiting by developing your own unique materials promoting the area of formal organised play you want to focus on. I'd be surprised if taking that initiative alone would not be applauded.

But Matt - this is just a personal view - I'm a long time out of it now days.

Your point is well made Matt - typically - and from my experience AMF has always been aggressive recruiting social players into league - or at least "Come and Try" activities. You know Roy Menachemson always said [well this amongst many other things] - "be famous for something"..wise words. Centres I'm sure are encouraged to generate their own focus on certain areas of the business centre by centre - not all the time of course as there are developed programs in place - but as a one off. It might be just the right time Matt for you and your centre to be famous for developing in-centre recruiting by developing your own unique materials promoting the area of formal organised play you want to focus on. I'd be surprised if taking that initiative alone would not be applauded.
But Matt - this is just a personal view - I'm a long time out of it now days.

Steve yuo are correct but it has to be approved by regional managers who dont alot about the game and are interested in social play and that alone.

I have tried to get things going but its very hard but i think i am starting to get them to see the light. social players come and go its the league bowlers who will over time give the most money back to the centre.

I want to start a junior program with bringing back intercentre again to try and promote junior bowling. Also as well as having monthly house tournments for our league bowlers but its about getting approval, whicih as i have said is very very hard.

I think i know alot about the game and when someone who doesnt know alot about bowling tries to come in and want it their way it annoys me

i guess what im trying to say is that we need all the top players at AMF/Mac to start to think about promoting leagues and tournmants and the elite side of bowling. We have some great ambassitors for the game in australia only to happy to help promote league and tournament bowling in. Bowling is hot again at the moment and now is the time to move

Maybe we should set some goals and have a member ship drive smilar to the AFL teams and NRL teams do. AMF need to give a little something back to the league bowlers so it encourages more social bowlers to join a league.

Back
Top Bottom