Tar on shoes...can somebody give my advice..

D

Damage_Inc

Give ME advice..not my :)

I wore my new shoes for the first time ever last night..
I though I wasn't sliding cause they were brand new (no doubt you do have to wear them in)..

Anyway,
I noticed some black crap on the approach and just before the foul line..
sticky dry black tar..buy that time,I had in on my shoes..

Being a lock-in I didn't want to disappoint my friend and so we stayed but I swapped to house shoes..I didn't make a fuss but just told the chicks at the front counter that there was tar on the lane we were bowling on.

They took my shoes and scrubbed them with a shoe brush..
They gave me the brush to keep to help get it off...
I must admit there isn't much on the shoes after they gave it a scrub..
although there is still some on the heel.

I am wondering if someone was able to give me some advice on how to scrub the shoes...which way and for how long..untill the sliding bit is soft etc etc? and how would I get it off the heel?

I would post pics,
but I don't know how and besides...I don't think they are that bad...but that's just me judging.

As you can all tell,
I have no frickin idea about this sought of stuff,
I am embarrassed to ask but then again...if you don't ask..you don't know..
so please understand my stupidity.

Thanks

G'Day,

That's a shame on the first night! :(

If it is tar, then try putting the shoes out in the sun (soles up), so that the tar dries out and can be peeled/flicked off. It's likely to leave a stain, but that will fade in time and shouldn't mark the approaches.

Cheers,
Jason

For the tar on the heels, scrape off as much as you can, and for the residue try (least to most aggressive) eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, metho, white spirit or nail polish remover on a soft cloth. Be patient. The tar will dissolve eventually.

For the sole, try a sharp unserrated knife and gently scrape from the toe towards the heel. This should be done regularly on the slide sole anyway to remove embedded muck that builds up for those not enlightened enough to use a slide sock. ;) A commercial leather cleaner might work too, but don't use a solvent on the slide sole as it will tend to dissolve the tar into the leather.

To restore or increase slide, gently sand in one direction (toe to heel) with fine wet & dry sandpaper. GENTLY.

Cheers, Robbie.

Back
Top Bottom