Storm jolt and jolt pearl

Bowlers Journal couldn't pick much difference in reaction between the Jolt and Jolt Pearl.

I have bowled with two Jolts (solids) now. Mikel Craig's impressed me so much when I rolled it I got one for myself. Firstly, Mikel's ball has the pin and CG in a tame layout (pin under ring finger/bridge, CG kicked right a bit) and is a lovely thing to roll. Smooth strong arc and fabulous pin carry, although that was at Belconnen where the pin carry is very good to be fair, but it really smacked them about.

I decided to go stronger with mine and laid it out with a 5" pin to PAP (pin above middle finger about 1½") and a 2½" CG to PAP. As I started with a ball with a 5" pin and 4.2oz of TW, this required a very deep 1" weight hole, which was drilled 2¼" past the PAP, to assist with continuation. I initially finely sanded the cover to 1200 grit and was absolutely shocked with the level of reaction this baby had. This ball hooked it's head off! Back to the pro shop and polish it back up again!

Next chance I got to use it was in the matchplay of the Brunswick Australia Cup, where this ball gave me some room to average 234.8 for the last 10 games and move from around 11th to 5th. I was able to move in and play coast to coast when the heads burned up. When the backends tightened a little, I was comfortably able to move to a forward roll release and keep opening up the lane. This ball should be considered for anyone looking for a more controllable big hook look. I cannot wait to hit a bit more oil with it.

The Accu-Tread™ coverstock clears the heads well and provides a strong, controllable move.
Pin carry is very, very good and delightfully noisy!
Breakpoint and backend reaction is very readable - if you have high revs, this ball will master carry down conditions without fuss.
This ball is mid-priced and rolls/hits like a high end ball. It's very good value.

Dislikes:
Not much. It is stronger than Storm's website makes it out to be.
I can't use it on fresh backends, but I can't use much past my Big Hit on fresh backends!

Wrap Up:
I'm thinking about drilling another one in a much tamer layout, but would carry two of them to a tournament! It's a great ball.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom