2 - 8 - 10

Fitzy

Underpaid
Ok! I am a RH bowler, I have played for a few years now - 3rd year back after 11 year break (5th year in total) - I HAVE NOT ONCE SPARED A 2-8-10!!! Anyways I have a fair idea on how to spare almost all leaves - even though I still have trouble on *Cough* some :) - but for a right hander what is the "physics"/"geometry"/"trigonometry" [pick the correct usage - never been good at this stuff] on spareing it. I have always just brought out the plastic done a backup bowl and hoped for the best. Is the "better" way to attempt a "almost" pocket shot on the 2 (as though I am sparing the 2-8 sleeper) and hope a pin bounces off the LHS wall and hits the 10?? I don't see hitting the LHS of the 2 pin so the 2 pin takes out the 10 will work because the ball veers off to the left and misses the eight! Oh yeah I do finger tip bowl rather than straight bowling.
I know I "should" just take the sleeper, but, if I was going to attempt to spare it what is the "shot"??
Help!!!!

I've made it three times, twice with a really light hit on the 2 pin, which bounced off the wall into the 8 then took out the 10, and once with a shot that barely nicked the 2 going away, which came off the RH wall into the 10 which rolled into the 8. Throwing backup with resin is probably the highest percentage shot.

Only spared it once, ever.
Made it up the Coast (Burnie I think) over ten years ago by shooting a backup ball down the left side of the lane, sending the 2-pin around the 10-pin, 2-pin lightly clips the 10 as it goes around it, sending it sideways into the 8-pin.

Very, very rarely leave the 2-8-10 though so never get much of chance to practise shooting it.

Have spared it the same ways as robbie has but, i hav also bounced the 10 back up onto both the 2 and 8, just depends what center you are at for that to work

I have spared this at least 10 times. I bowl two handed, therefore I throw a few revs. This helps with pin mix etc. You obviously may struggle to do this since you bowl one handed.. but my best chance of picking it up with how I bowl is to move 3-5 boards left of my strike shot, and throw it pretty much dead straight at the 2pin, hoping to get some reaction before it hits the 2 flush, hence taking the sleeper, and giving me a good chance of taking the 10 with the 2.

I've spared the 2-4-8-10 to stay in a masters tournament, so I guess it's just not as hard for me as for others. Having said that, you could probably put the leave up for me 20 times and there's a good chance I wouldn't pick up one of them, so you have to get a bit of luck too.

PS - I leave it more often than I'd like to.. I get a bit of practice at it!

Back
Top Bottom