youth hassles already

donsay

Why does it always seem so difficult to get the best people to be allowed to bowl for this great state? why not have a simplistic criteria that as long as you are
1. sports registered
2. drug free
3. living in qld.
this entitles you to roll off.
I for one would love to see the day when all bowlers between 0 and 23 feel like all is fair and everybody has an equal opportunity to make the team. Every criteria chops our numbers, and this does not allow us to have potentially our best team.
It was posted tonight that the state sets the criteria not tba. I was under the impression the sub committee's set the rules within their division with the board their to assist if required, to clarify tba or tbaq questions, and to offer assistance when asked.
I must have it wrong, it only took one decision and all hell breaks loose. i wonder how many potential bowlers we lost tonight. i know that some bowlers are booked to go to Perth youth, some are on holidays and they are only the ones who bothered contacting us with concerns.
I think the sub committee is elected to look after the team and all team requirements and the state body should look at what we are proposing and be flexible enough to allow flexibility about a tbaq set rule, under our supervision in this seven day working world where people need options to allow them to continue to have the opportunity of turning a dream into a reality.
Sorry to be on my horse but i want everyone to have a real equal opportunity
Donsay

i have to agree with don on this one, the sub committee is making bowling into an elitist sport where if you want to succeed you have to have thousands and thousands of dollars. some of our best bowlers are pushed away because they dont have enough resources or time to compete in tournaments week in week out. it all adds up and if you dont have mummy and daddy to rely on you just cant do it on what most youths earn from part time jobs. another problem i see is why does it cost upto $3500 to go to sydney or melbourne, i remember only 6-7 years ago when it cost my family less than $500 to go to bankstown, two years later and it cost them $1500 to send my sister and i to illawarra, and that was with minimal fundraising both times. surely inflation hasnt gone up that much... i have a dream to represent my state again and if i ever get the chance to represent my country but unless i win the lotto i wont be able to do that unless efforts are made to make it more accessible to people who dont have all the money in the world... maybe then the olympics might be able to look at bowling as well...
just my 5 cents worth
Phillip

The decision to make State Champs compulsory for Youth has now been removed for this year. It was decided that at this time it would be unfair to enforce that policy.
It will however be a requirement next year.

Sorry for the late reply, i haven't been on total for a while.

My concern is, what benefit do youth bowlers get in bowling state championships? Its not against the people we will face at youth nationals, nor the same format or on similar conditions. Why not make it more relevant and make it nationally ranked tournaments such as K and K and Sharp?
Im not sure who is making these decisions, but why not get the opinions of the bowlers, and one annual meeting isnt the place to resolve every issue.

Im not even going to start on how hard it will be for nq people to try for this team once we need to make even more trips down to brisbane for pointless championships.

They are just my thoughts

Back
Top Bottom