Will the recession make bowlers better?

But with the decrease in the interest rates and fuel... their disposable incomes would have increased... But will they be prepared to part with it for fear of interest rate and fuel cost hikes? Just a thought.

I agree with Max here. People do have more income at their disposal with the drop in rates etc. Yes it's true that prices have increased in other areas.

It gets down to choice if people can't afford to bowl then they won't bowl.

I was at the shops on Boxing Day and people were spending money like there was no tomorrow.

Poeple that still have there jobs and have a home loan a better off now then say 6 months ago. Rates have dropped fair amount on a 250k loan its neally a saving of $150 a week.

The problem comes in with the poeple that have had hours cut or even lost there jobs. This group will would probley not be bowling this year. P.S we are NOT in recession yet.

I work in a bank, and I've seen (more than ever) people coming in and taking out mortgages to buy up investments, because they have more expendable income due to the rate cuts that have been passed on. The government is putting more money into pockets, so that people start spending again. After all, that IS how the economy works.

This country is not going into a recession, we are not affected as badly as the US or UK, and we have the economic stimulus to ride through the tough times. We have 4 of the world's 20 banks that hold the AA credit rating currently, so excluding the vast minority that may have unfortunately lost their jobs (but having said that they should have had income protection exactly for this occurence, after all, are we really looking after our families if we DON'T have it?) the current economic 'so called' crisis shouldn't be affecting bowlers at all.

Like Max said, cost of living as a whole has dropped, those that are still employed will be making the same money week in, week out, getting their yearly bonuses and pay rises and will still be spending money on bowling.

Like many others I am sure, I look back to May 2008 and shake my head. Why? We were being told to stop spending and start saving, as inflation was "out of control". The RBA hiked the cash rate twice in a row when it was well and truely clear that America was in serious trouble and predictably, many Australian businesses and families went to the wall and now the Building Australia Fund is being used to prop up the economy and get people spending again. Blind Freddie could see it coming. Most of the underlying inflation appearing in the CPI index was because of external factors (that which Australia could not control) such as the price of oil (US$147 per barrel) and groceries. The interest rate rises prior to the final two were warranted, but anyone with the slightest fraction of economic nouse could see what was coming. New Zealand was already in trouble by then, there were signs of volatility in the markets, it was well known that America was in some serious debt and house prices were overvalued in the US, it was only a matter of time.

Michael, I'd hold off on saying Australia will avoid recession. We may well do as we are reasonably well placed, however QLD and WA are already slowing very very quickly as the mining and resources boom slows considerably, largely due to China slowing in line with credit pressures causing the price of resources and minerals to fall due to falling demand.

Interest rates will probably bottom out around April 2009 but it doesn't mean the worst is over - we always lag behind and it will take longer to recover from this crisis. Oil prices will recover to about US$70-$80 in the next 12-18 months and will settle in that range for quite some time - I wouldn't expect to see the price recover to US$100+ for at least 5 years, unless something dramatic happens. The Australian Dollar will also likely stabilise around 70 US cents as well, which is where it should be. It was vastly overpriced at 98 US cents but it reflected the resources boom here.

So what does this mean for bowling? In all honesty, probably not much. Those that do lose their jobs will most likely not bowl (how do you bowl with no money), and those that keep their jobs will most likely continue to bowl but you will probably find they won't spend any more money on the game than they do now or have in the recent past. The biggest problem facing bowling and Australian businesses related to bowling is the continual decline in numbers. I believe this has very little to do with the current economic situation and more to do with the state of the sport. Numbers didn't increase in the boom years..

To answer the original question this thread was asking - no, a recession won't make bowlers better.

well i must be an exception to the rule here, i've been unemployed twice in the last year and both times haven't given up bowling. it just a matter of managing what resources you have at your disposal but i guess being an accountant i'm able to do that better than most. i'm not saying its easy but it is achievable it you make some hard choices about where the money you get is spent. as for super funds yes i've lost money as have most of the self managed funds i've prepared accounts for but super is a long term investment so it will ebb and flow with the ups and downs of the economy.

Another thread infiltrated by off-topic bull**** by certain people.

Superannuation is meaningless to this discussion. You don't dip into your super to buy a new bowling ball. Anyone with a few brain cells knows super goes up and down but over time it grows.

As for the original topic, I am in an area of both drought and economic problems. Yeah things are tough but if I decide to buy a ball I will just find ways to do it (like the one I just bought). The situation as it is wont affect the serious bowler or stop them getting gear as they need it.

Superannuation is meaningless to this discussion. You don't dip into your super to buy a new bowling ball. Anyone with a few brain cells knows super goes up and down but over time it grows.

Superannuation isn't meaningless to this discussion - that is plain offensive ( :() - as there are many bowlers who are retired and can no longer live off their super. income. I and several other retired superannuant friends have had to look for work again to make ends meet. I won't be bowling again (let alone buying new gear) for this year at least simply because I cannot afford it. I have no mortgages either, it is just a matter of priority survival unfortunately. Unemployment hasn't hit yet but it will soon. At least some of these will be bowlers - they simply won't be able to afford it if they are responsible with their money.

Superannuation isn't meaningless to this discussion - that is plain offensive ( :() - as there are many bowlers who are retired and can no longer live off their super. income. I and several other retired superannuant friends have had to look for work again to make ends meet. I won't be bowling again (let alone buying new gear) for this year at least simply because I cannot afford it. I have no mortgages either, it is just a matter of priority survival unfortunately. Unemployment hasn't hit yet but it will soon. At least some of these will be bowlers - they simply won't be able to afford it if they are responsible with their money.

With respect, I don't think Greg's "superannuation is meaningless" comment has been taken in quite the right context by your good self here Reg.

Even with your original comment, nobody denied what you were saying at all - all understood and appreciated.

Where the 'meaningless' angle comes from is where superannuation has been raised as an issue for it's 'capital value', and as many people have said - that will fluctuate throughout it's life.

For the majority of bowlers, living off their super is a long way away, so therefore should have no bearing at all on what they may spend now on bowling gear - on the proviso their employment situation has not worsened of course..

Regardless of whether you live off wages, superannuation, a pension or any other form of income the rules remain the same - you spend what you think you can afford.

Those on a lower income USUALLY find a way to make a purchase such as a bowling ball etc if they want one. If they can't do that then they simply wait or go without all together.

This is going to remain the same whether or not we are in a recession, economic downturn or whatever else you wish to call it. It has always been like it and always will be.

As for the Superannuation comment being offensive, if you have enough to retire and live on in your superannuation then you should also have enough to ride out the current situation. People who panic about a few ups/downs in the market are the ones who cause it to start with.

Seeing how i am guilty of not answering the original question... I'll give my opinion...

Will the recession make bowlers better???

Yes... Those that can afford new equipment will buy it when they need it... Those that don't have that luxury will become better bowlers using the equipment they have at their disposal.

Well how has this affected me.............

Fantastic the interest rates have gone down.........???

I rent at the moment and it has just gone up another $30 per week, in fact it's gone up every year since we moved in.

Petrol has gone down..........!!

Yes this has been the only bonus for us both.........the the cost of keeping cars hasn't dropped much at all!!!

Food , utilities and every other day expenses including child care etc really hasn't changed much at all, in fact it has risen.

Although I think max said that the import for bowling ball has risen by what ?? $90 per ball, that if I were to go thru buying lots of balls would chew up any petrol saving we have. But luckily I'm not like most of the keen bowlers of today and buy a lot of equipment.

Have a nice 2009 all, For the first time in (since I got married) I am on tour this year (mainly seniors, being 50 and all) for the fun of it. The last time I travelled for a tournament (not including ATBSO nationals) was late 90's I think was when I won the ATBA Warrnambool Cup. Looking forward to the travelling. I might even sneek in the A.O, Melbourne cup and South Pacific for the fun of it, most probably donating to the prize fund (no match for these hot hands of today).

cheers

Tony

Superannuation cannot be dismissed entirely. While there is just one person out there that is living off there superannuation (for whatever reason it maybe) then it is a factor. While I am not in this boat, I do feel for those who may be. If super IS your income then your 'bank balance' would have been a lot healthier a few months back and may have thought hey what's an extra $300 for the new ebonite ball?? Now though you may be thinking ... umm do I need to make sure the money I have now can last me or hey spend up on some new gear and hope for the best.

This 'downturn' will hit everyone in some way or another even the retired bowlers living on super.

But I suppose we can ignore them for our arguments sake I suppose!! :eek:

I personally have found myself in the unenviable position of being a victim of it and will now have to rethink my whole bowling plans for not only 2009 but long term depending on how the job situation pans out for me in the next month or so. My current role has an expiry date dated 23rd of January so I am hoping to find something fairly quickly.

I can only see the tournament scene getting worse in 2009. With a possible recession squeezing household income despite the drop in prices here and there. Combine this with the uncertainty with employment and we could see a lot more bowlers disappear from the game. With financial commitments to meet I wouldn't rule out me being one of those at present. Hope everyone had an enjoyable and safe holiday period.

at the tender age of 23 that i am, i have owned 8 balls in my bowling career (5 was part of a ball league that our prize funds were used to purchase) and the other 3 i bought myself.
I was fairly lucky with my last purchase. 5 of us looked over seas when the $ was us.97c, we all bought a ball & split the shipping 5 ways. My $350 ball ended up costing me $176.
when i purchased the psycho, i purchased it because i wanted to improve my game, so i chose a mid range ball cause thats is what suits our lanes. before that i was throwing a scout reactive (yes i have only just got back into the sport) and had that for a good 2 years. over that time i worked with that ball and went from a 125 average to high 150's. when i bought the psycho, i have gone from the high 150's to high 170's in a matter of months. now my point is that as much as i would love to go out and buy a ball to suit every type of lane condition that i encounter at other centres,i just dont have the money.
i'm a full time casual supervisor at work, am paying off a $150k mortgage, $36k car loan, $2k credit card debtfuel, groceries, rates & water, medical expenses. I live 15 k outta town & doing 2 trips in n out really hits the back pocket with fuel. as was stated earlier if people want to buy new equipment they will find someway to do it. if people want to bowl, same answer as before. sure they might have to cut down to 1 league a week, or maybe take a season off, but if you love something you always can get it, even if it does mean some sacrifices in the beginning.
I have budgeted every pay i have ever earned since i started working @ 8 yrs old with dad for my pocket money. sure my wallet may be empty at the end of the pay week, but i have everything that i want, even if i did have to wait a while to get it in the 1st place. but in saying that i realise that im 1 of the lucky ones and my thoughts are with those who have to give up the sport because they can no longer afford it.

just my 2c worth

Back
Top Bottom