Will the recession make bowlers better?

Mark L

Found this post, thought some of you might like to read.

With the economy as it is we bowlers will have less money to spend on new balls.
I can see where that might make bowlers become better bowlers by having to make what they have work instead of the notion that a new ball for a certain condition has been the norm.
Old bowlers like to claim they were good because they only had one ball and had to make it work regardless of the condition. I think there is truth in that claim.
However, ball companies provided us with different balls for different conditions and arsenals came into existence. Now bowlers began to buy different balls for various conditions and did not have to alter their mechanics in order to compete.
Now with less money to purchase new balls I think this might be a good thing and will make bowlers become more versatile by having to continue to use what they have on hand.
After arsenals became the norm, there were cries that those with the most money to spend on new balls had an advantage. To a certain extend I think that was a fair assumption.
Maybe that assumption will be more prevalent now that many are being laid off and need to save their money for essentials rather than buy new balls and again those with the most money will have an advantage.
Maybe with fewer new balls skill will again become more of a factor than having the right ball to match the condition.
Those who clamor for skill being the deciding factor always toss out the idea that a tourney where only plastic balls can be used the best bowlers will have the advantage.
While the recession is terrible in a way it might actually help bowling regain some of the integrity that seems to have been lost. Just my thoughts.
--------------------
Bones

Its not going to affect sponsored players. If anything, if things go as MarkL suggests, the sponsored players will have even more of an advantage.

If anything, it would be more likely to have an effect on tournament entries, but with vastly reduced fuel costs, it might not be as much of an issue as you think.

More likely to have an effect is airline baggage restrictions as highlighted in another thread.

Found this post, thought some of you might like to read.

With the economy as it is we bowlers will have less money to spend on new balls.
I can see where that might make bowlers become better bowlers by having to make what they have work instead of the notion that a new ball for a certain condition has been the norm.
Old bowlers like to claim they were good because they only had one ball and had to make it work regardless of the condition. I think there is truth in that claim.
However, ball companies provided us with different balls for different conditions and arsenals came into existence. Now bowlers began to buy different balls for various conditions and did not have to alter their mechanics in order to compete.
Now with less money to purchase new balls I think this might be a good thing and will make bowlers become more versatile by having to continue to use what they have on hand.
After arsenals became the norm, there were cries that those with the most money to spend on new balls had an advantage. To a certain extend I think that was a fair assumption.
Maybe that assumption will be more prevalent now that many are being laid off and need to save their money for essentials rather than buy new balls and again those with the most money will have an advantage.
Maybe with fewer new balls skill will again become more of a factor than having the right ball to match the condition.
Those who clamor for skill being the deciding factor always toss out the idea that a tourney where only plastic balls can be used the best bowlers will have the advantage.
While the recession is terrible in a way it might actually help bowling regain some of the integrity that seems to have been lost. Just my thoughts.
--------------------
Bones

G'day all

The only people who the 'recession' will affect are those who lose their jobs or those who listen to the government and get scared by what they hear..

If anything, people will have MORE money to spend on bowling balls etc than they did mid year and backwards. Interest rates down by bucketloads (some experts say as much as $400.00 per month on an average mortgage), fuel prices around 60% of what they were 4 months ago - so an overall saving of some $500.00 to $600.00 per month on August figures.

A ball has risen by roughly $90.00 in the same period, so even if someone wanted to buy a ball per month, they are $400.00 to $500.00 a month better off............

The government might be going into 'recession', but we as individuals have not been better off for ages..........

Think about it first.........

Max

Until this point in time, I was unsure about Max. But now I'm convinced...

Max, you live in a dream world. The economy and current recession affects all of us in one way or another. From the folks who lose their jobs due to a lack of business, to the parents who soon will have no day care centre to take care of their young ones while they're out trying to earn a living wage.

If you're fortunate enough to have a boatload of money, lifetime job security and no mounting debts, then my hats off to you. But belive me max..you'd be in the minority and a small minority at that!

Now now children - let's not start the new year with an argument :)

Every new year starts with an argument in this sport/forum and will end with one at the end, with many a fun to be had throughout :starwars:. Such is life! ;)

Cue the :eek:fftopic2: posters.

Happy New Year! :D :partytime2: :JD:

You only have to look at the number of entries for this years Brunswick cup in Canberra for evidence that the hard times are biting. (61 this year)

G'day all

The only people who the 'recession' will affect are those who lose their jobs or those who listen to the government and get scared by what they hear..

The government might be going into 'recession', but we as individuals have not been better off for ages..........

Think about it first.........

Max

Hi Max. Hang on to that job mate and certainly don't retire yet. And what is causing people to lose their jobs? If you were retired and trying to live off your hard earned superannuation, you would be down to vegemite sandwiches with no butter washed down with a glass of water. Checked your super balance lately?

Feet back on the ground Max.

Cheers mate and Happy New Year (this is not a personal attack on you - just a rebutal!!!).

Have to agree with you Wayne and Reg. At least four of our bowlers in our league lost their job and they no longer bowl .
We all should count our blessings and pray for those who are struggling.
No offense meant Max.
Alex

No offence taken to anyone, this is why we have a forum.

What I am getting at here is those who have jobs and are still bowling etc, WILL have more expendable than before.

It will probably widen the gulf between those who "have" and those who "have not", but those who DO, will be better off. Unfortunately, those who "don't", will be forced to tighten the reigns and their bowling might have to be foregone.

Max

No offence taken to anyone, this is why we have a forum.

What I am getting at here is those who have jobs and are still bowling etc, WILL have more expendable than before.

It will probably widen the gulf between those who "have" and those who "have not", but those who DO, will be better off. Unfortunately, those who "don't", will be forced to tighten the reigns and their bowling might have to be foregone.

Max

Spoken like a true politician....flip flop, flip flip, flip flop.

The recession will affect almost everyone negatively. Even you Max. I'd be willing to bet that you ball sales drop in 2009.

Spoken like a true politician....flip flop, flip flip, flip flop.

I'd be willing to bet that you ball sales drop in 2009.

Wayne,

Let's hope your bullsh*t drops by about the same margin this year. Any drop would be good. I can't see any 'flip-flopping' from what Max originally stated.

Much like yourself at times, he offers a realistic point of view. It's how people decide to interpret the words.

I work in a bank, and I've seen (more than ever) people coming in and taking out mortgages to buy up investments, because they have more expendable income due to the rate cuts that have been passed on. The government is putting more money into pockets, so that people start spending again. After all, that IS how the economy works.

This country is not going into a recession, we are not affected as badly as the US or UK, and we have the economic stimulus to ride through the tough times. We have 4 of the world's 20 banks that hold the AA credit rating currently, so excluding the vast minority that may have unfortunately lost their jobs (but having said that they should have had income protection exactly for this occurence, after all, are we really looking after our families if we DON'T have it?) the current economic 'so called' crisis shouldn't be affecting bowlers at all.

Like Max said, cost of living as a whole has dropped, those that are still employed will be making the same money week in, week out, getting their yearly bonuses and pay rises and will still be spending money on bowling.

Let's check out some of the facts..

The average balance of a super account in 2007 was $72,200 for men and $47,200 for women, according to Bureau of Statistics data. Based on recent falls, these would now be worth $58,500 and $38,200 respectively.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) measures quarterly changes in the price of a 'basket' of goods and services which account for a high proportion of expenditure by the CPI population group (i.e. metropolitan households). This 'basket' covers a wide range of goods and services, arranged in the following eleven groups:

Sep Qtr 2007 to Sep Qtr 2008
Weighted average of eight capital cities % change

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Food 3.4
Alcohol and tobacco 5.8
Clothing and footwear 0.0
Housing 6.8
Household contents and services 0.9
Health 5.1
Transportation 8.7
Communication 0.2
Recreation 1.6
Education 4.7
Financial and insurance services 9.5
All groups 5.0
All groups excluding Housing and Financial and insurance services 3.8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just exactly where is it that are we 'better off'?

Let's check out some of the facts..

The average balance of a super account in 2007 was $72,200 for men and $47,200 for women, according to Bureau of Statistics data. Based on recent falls, these would now be worth $58,500 and $38,200 respectively.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) measures quarterly changes in the price of a 'basket' of goods and services which account for a high proportion of expenditure by the CPI population group (i.e. metropolitan households). This 'basket' covers a wide range of goods and services, arranged in the following eleven groups:

Sep Qtr 2007 to Sep Qtr 2008
Weighted average of eight capital cities % change

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Food 3.4
Alcohol and tobacco 5.8
Clothing and footwear 0.0
Housing 6.8
Household contents and services 0.9
Health 5.1
Transportation 8.7
Communication 0.2
Recreation 1.6
Education 4.7
Financial and insurance services 9.5
All groups 5.0
All groups excluding Housing and Financial and insurance services 3.8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just exactly where is it that are we 'better off'?

I am not talking about superannuants, I am talking about people who are currently working (who are the VAST majority of bowlers) & therefore their disposable income from their wage.......

The majority of the change in the economy has all come about since September Wayne, so those figures are worth squat in this thread.

Have you got the FACTS on the December quarter yet? Comparison between Sept '08 quarter and December '08 would be more FACTUAL in this debate.

Superannuation is an invalid foundation to base your opinions on, since superannuation cannot be accessed until you are 65, 55 in some cases. You'd be mad if you wanted to withdraw at this point anyway.

And the likelihood is that your super balances will recover AND SOME in the next 24 months anyway.

Those are the ebbs and flows of economics.

Max, have a look at your superannuation fund and see exactly how much the total has shrunk during the latter half of 2008. Then come back and tell us all how much better off you are financially now than you were a year ago. Australian Government CPI figures for the last quarter will be out in a couple of weeks. The updated figures will likely be just as ominous.

Just curious..has Coles or Woolworths/Safeway lowered their grocery prices to pre 2007 levels? Have toll roads lowered their usage fees? Are the majority of electronics going to cost less during 2009 than they did a year ago? Is the manufacturing sector laying off emploees in record numbers because we have more disposable income to spend on autombiles and other non-consumables?

Will you lower your bowling equipment prices or are you forced to raise prices in order to kepp your business viable?

Superannuation is an invalid foundation to base your opinions on, since superannuation cannot be accessed until you are 65, 55 in some cases. You'd be mad if you wanted to withdraw at this point anyway.

Are you inferring that those who are already at or nearing retirement age don't count in the grand scheme of things? read the figures I quoted above one more time. The AVERAGE Australian LOST between $20,000 and $25,000 during 2008. That's quite a hit to anyone's retirement plans, whether you're 20something or in an aged home. There are quite a few Australian who will now be working an extra couple of years befire retiring. That is, if they still have a job to go to every day.

Do you pay for your bowling costs/petrol costs/mortgage/food/utilities out of your superannuation fund?

NO.

So stop referring to it. This thread is weighing up whether the current climate is going to force people to stop upgrading equipment, in turn, making bowlers deal with what they have in their arsenals.

I feel sorry for the Australians who have to work for that extra couple of years now to see if they can make back what they lost in their funds over the last year. Imagine what people had to do when the stock markets actually DID crash going back a couple decades ago. The retirees in this era have not been the only ones in this situation. Can they do anything about it? NO.

What Max is saying is that along with cheaper home loan rates, cheaper fuel (which are the two sole MAJOR expenses in life) there will, as a whole, be more coin in the consumer's pocket. How long the low rates/cheap petrol will be around for, I don't know.

Over 2/3rds of the country received cash bonuses last month. You can't say people have been short of a dollar lately.

It's up to the individual how that coin gets spent.

I can see both sides of this debate and must say that in one hand i have been hit pretty hard by the superannuation funds dropping but also having increased my mortgage payments to keep up with the increasing interest rates.
Now that the interest rates have dropped, i am better off but choosing to keep things as they are. As for the super drop... well i have another 30yrs before i can cash in my super.
Just to let you guys know that Wayne isn't plucking figures out of his @r$e my super dropped about $8000... and that was after $13000 was deposited. There were other guys who were in aggressive funds that lost substancially more money than i and are within 2-5yrs of retirement.

But i guess i fall into the category of having a fairly secure job which i hope will see me through to retirement... which is a far cry from what i was doing before.
As for the bonuses that most people received last month, there will be a few who won't get it until next financial year and those who dont get it at all so that itself is invalid.

Back
Top Bottom