Vale Neville Vagg

mcpeter

It is with saddness that I have learnt of the passing of Neville Vagg.
Neville is well know to many bowlers by his support as major sponsor of the Warrnambool Cup and Colac Cup over many years.

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting him on my numerous trips to the Warnambool cup, a true gentleman who loved our sport.

May he rest in peace.

Neville was a rare individual in this sport - he was someone who gave more than he could ever have expected back....time after time.

To his family and close friends I extend my sincere sympathy and many thanks for all he contributed to the sport in Victoria and elsewhere. He will be missed by many - that is certain.

Steve Jones

A genuinely nice person who put countless thousands of dollars into Victorian country tournies in Warrnambool and Colac purely for the pleasure of bowling with some of the best bowlers in Australia. He was always very humble and shunned the limelight.

He will be missed. My condolensces to his family and friends.

Very sad news.
Sincerest condolences to his family and close friends.
Unbelievably generous man and, as others have said, humble and unassuming.
Hopefully his legacy will live on and he will not soon be forgotten.
The world was a better place with Neville around.

RIP Neville, if there was 10 of you the sport in this country would be in wonderful shape

Hello Everyone,

Many of you may already have heard the news, but for the ones that don't, it is with great sadness that I announce the passing of Neville Vagg.

I only heard about this news this morning, many thanks to Ian for letting me know.

Neville was severely ill, as many of you would know that participated in the Colac Cup last year, I am unsure of the illness.

According to the newspaper death notice below.

Peacefully on September 6, 2010 at Merindah Lodge, Camperdown.

Loving son of Winifred and Frederick (both deceased).

Loving brother of Irene, Kevin, Evelyn (dec.), Anthony, Douglas and their families.

Loving friend of Lorraine and Eddie.

Aged 69 years
Go Bombers

The funeral notice below.

The funeral for Mr. NEVILLE JOHN (VAGGY) VAGG will leave Macqueen's Chapel, 9 Leura Street, Camperdown.

After a Service commencing at 2 pm. FRIDAY (September 10) for the Camperdown Cemetery.

I remember speaking to him on the phone last year, while he was in hospital, and his words to me were that we should make next years tournament (2010) even bigger again, maybe look for 100 entries. I remember saying that we only have 10 lanes Neville, but then again we could run it over 3 days, that would be fine he said.

We provided him with a signed pin with many signatures from the bowlers there, I'm sure he would have really been really happy about receiving it.

Neville lived long enough to contribute to 25 events, first at Colac then Warrnambool, and then the last one at Colac, I believe he participated in most of them, except for the last few.

Neville was a shy man, very much a gentleman, he was generous without wanting anything in return, he was not one to make a fuss or have a fuss made about him.

He would probably be wondering as to what his legacy has been, well to all of us that have been involved with both the Colac Cup and Warrnambool Cup, Neville's contribution has been invaluable.

I'm sure that without his financial support and undying love for the sport neither tournament would have been as successful as they were, bowlers looked forward to them every year.

For everyone that has met him, and for the friends that he made, I'm sure I can speak for everyone, that we were fortunate to have him.

Our condolences go to his family and friends, may you rest in peace Neville, and thank you.

Rest in Peace 1941 - 2010

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

Deepest condolences to Nevilles' friends and family. A wonderful man, will be deeply missed
Graeme & Nat

Will be sadly missed by all of the bowling fraternity. A true gentleman and fantastic sponsor of the sport. Ralph and Jane.

Sorry to hear about Neville's passing. I would like to pass on my condolensces, my father (Ted Martin) would also like to pass on his condolensces. He was one of the nicest and easy going people that I had ever met. I have known Neville for nearly 20 years and Dad longer than that as I started bowling at Warrnambool. He will be sadly missed.

Regards,
Tim Martin

A generous man who loved bowling more than anyone I've ever met. It was a pleasure chatting with him a few years ago when I won Warrnambull. He'll be sadly missed.

RIP

Neville Vagg goes back to the days of the '80's when the tournament scene was flourishing, with the circuit - VCBA (Victorian Competitive Bowlers Association), which became the ATBA (Australian Tournament Bowlers Association).
Neville was a major sponsor in these circuits which made it possible for all bowlers to enjoy their tournament experience at both the Colac and Warrnambool Cups.
Great history in Victoria and Australian bowling.
Thankyou to Neville for his generosity over such a long period to Australian Bowling.
Our thoughts go out to his family.
RIP
Warren Stewart

Back
Top Bottom