The Sate Teams are gonna love this one..

Interesting notes Hamish thank you for them.

Can you, or can someone, state clearly that the notation for those sports, as per your submission in the above thread, of "In-Competition" designates either "elite" In-Competition or "ALL" In-Competition as authorised, endorsed and sanctioned by the relevant national authority?

Can you or can someone clarify with certainty that a body - such as TBA - has the independent or indeed unilateral right to determine to what degree they apply the legislation pertaining to the actual degree of "In-Competition" - that is to say where the level of "In-Competition" is assessed?

Is this legislation specifically targeted at the elite sphere alone [and on an event by event basis] or once the legislation is embraced [by a national governing body such as TBA] does this necessitate that the meaning and intent of the legislation is required to be applied to ALL levels of "In-Competition" of and to all such events endorsed, approved, authorised or sanctioned by the national governing body of tenpins?

Your response - or the response of someone who can answer with authority will, at least in my view, be extremely interesting.

You will note Hamish in my recent comments that I am 100% behind the logic of what I assume to be the intent of the legislation...targeted to and at the elite sphere. However, if you, or others, are of the view that the FIQ is a body that is beyond question or doubt in passing legislation that is to be applied equally across all borders then, based on many decades of personal experience, I can assure such is NOT the case.

The FIQ is indeed an entity of noble cause - and many individuals associated with determining legislation and outcomes, both now and in the past, are talented, dedicated and highly intelligent people - but conversely many also are little more than posers and pretenders - driving their own agenda's and could care less what the commercial impact is on creating any sort of ruling...particularly on ....let us say the commercial reality of the Australian bowling industry

I can give you an example of how a certain NBF [National Bowling Federation] did all it could to derail the advance of a commercial change to the industry that would have earned sizable incremental revenues across the board to and for the industry in that country - yet the NBF in question elected to do all it could to snuff out this technology simply to preserve their own status and the not insignificant government income stream they benefited from. They were 100% successful as it happened...and the lane bed count in that country nearly halved in under five years. Rest assured this is but one of many similar examples I could relay.

So, am I of the view that TBA does NOT have the profitability and proliferation of the industry as a whole in it's minds eye and best interests - of course not - that would simply be idiotic. But I would trust that the overall legislation can be counted upon to be implemented universally and with clear and defined lines - and in such a manner that guarantees zero negative impact on certain crucial commercial realities.... well.. in this country, at the very least.

Interesting notes Hamish thank you for them.

Can you, or can someone, state clearly that the notation for those sports, as per your submission in the above thread, of "In-Competition" designates either "elite" In-Competition or "ALL" In-Competition as authorised, endorsed and sanctioned by the relevant national authority?.

According to the ASADA rules, all.

Can you or can someone clarify with certainty that a body - such as TBA - has the independent or indeed unilateral right to determine to what degree they apply the legislation pertaining to the actual degree of "In-Competition" - that is to say where the level of "In-Competition" is assessed?

TBA has nothing to do with enforcement, other than they are required to report all possible violations to ASADA for investigation. ASADA can decide what, and who they will investigate without reference to TBA.
Quote:
ARTICLE 2 POWERS OF TBA AND ASADA
2.1 Under the ASADA Act 2006 and the NAD scheme established under that Act, ASADA has the legislative authority to:
 investigate possible violations of the anti-doping rules under the ASADA Act 2006 and the NAD scheme for Athletes and Athlete Support Personnel under the jurisdiction of TBA;
 make findings in relation to such investigations;
 notify the Athlete, Athlete Support Personnel, TBA and other bodies specified in the ASADA Act 2006 and the NAD scheme of its findings and its recommendations as to the consequences of such findings; and
 present its findings and its recommendations as to consequences at hearings of CAS and other Tribunals. ASADA has the authority to do this either at TBA‟s request or on its own initiative.
2.2 TBA has a responsibility to encourage and promote competition free from Prohibited Substances and Methods and to prevent doping practices in sport. To facilitate this object, TBA refers its anti-doping functions and powers (“anti-doping functions”) to ASADA. This includes all functions and powers relating to the issuing of an infraction notice, the convening of a hearing, the presentation of allegations of an anti-doping rule violation at a hearing and all matters incidental thereto.
2.3 TBA also recognises the authority of ASADA to investigate possible anti-doping rule violations. TBA may carry out its own investigative functions provided TBA does so under the direction and in coordination with any investigation being carried out by ASADA.
Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited
Anti-Doping Policy
Approved December 2008
Version Number ADP-1208-6 2
2.4 TBA refers its anti-doping functions to ASADA on the basis that:
 any investigations undertaken by ASADA, unless specifically requested by TBA, will be at no cost to TBA;
 TBA will immediately advise ASADA of all possible anti-doping rule violations and will, as may reasonably be required by ASADA, assist, cooperate and liaise with ASADA in relation to any investigation or hearing;
 TBA will accept ASADA‟s findings on such investigations, and its recommendations as to the consequences of such findings; and
 ASADA will provide such reports to TBA on ASADA‟s conduct of the above anti-doping functions as may be agreed between ASADA and TBA and subject to the ASADA Act and the NAD scheme.
2.5 ASADA will perform and conduct anti-doping functions and powers in accordance with the ASADA Act 2006, the NAD scheme1 and this Anti-Doping Policy.
2.6 TBA will recognise and enforce any sanction applied by CAS and/or other Tribunals in respect of an anti-doping rule violation, or recommendation of ASADA where a hearing has been waived.
2.7 Athletes, Athlete Support Personnel, Members and other Persons bound by this Anti-Doping Policy should be aware of, and are bound by, this referral of anti-doping functions to ASADA and shall assist and cooperate with ASADA in the conduct of its anti-doping functions.
end quote.

Is this legislation specifically targeted at the elite sphere alone [and on an event by event basis] or once the legislation is embraced [by a national governing body such as TBA] does this necessitate that the meaning and intent of the legislation is required to be applied to ALL levels of "In-Competition" of and to all such events endorsed, approved, authorised or sanctioned by the national governing body of tenpins?.

All levels, all members, and includes some others such as TBA employees.
If you bowl in a league, you can take a photo of one of your opponents drinking whilst bowling, and refer it to either TBA or ASADA for action. If referred to TBA, they must refer it on to ASADA, and are bound by the result of any ASADA investigation.

Your response - or the response of someone who can answer with authority will, at least in my view, be extremely interesting..

Don't know what authority I have, but having read the document it clearly applies to TBA members in competition.

You will note Hamish in my recent comments that I am 100% behind the logic of what I assume to be the intent of the legislation...targeted to and at the elite sphere. However, if you, or others, are of the view that the FIQ is a body that is beyond question or doubt in passing legislation that is to be applied equally across all borders then, based on many decades of personal experience, I can assure such is NOT the case.
The FIQ is indeed an entity of noble cause - and many individuals associated with determining legislation and outcomes, both now and in the past, are talented, dedicated and highly intelligent people - but conversely many also are little more than posers and pretenders - driving their own agenda's and could care less what the commercial impact is on creating any sort of ruling...particularly on ....let us say the commercial reality of the Australian bowling industry.
I can give you an example of how a certain NBF [National Bowling Federation] did all it could to derail the advance of a commercial change to the industry that would have earned sizable incremental revenues across the board to and for the industry in that country - yet the NBF in question elected to do all it could to snuff out this technology simply to preserve their own status and the not insignificant government income stream they benefited from. They were 100% successful as it happened...and the lane bed count in that country nearly halved in under five years. Rest assured this is but one of many similar examples I could relay.
So, am I of the view that TBA does NOT have the profitability and proliferation of the industry as a whole in it's minds eye and best interests - of course not - that would simply be idiotic. But I would trust that the overall legislation can be counted upon to be implemented universally and with clear and defined lines - and in such a manner that guarantees zero negative impact on certain crucial commercial realities.... well.. in this country, at the very least.
TBA don't implement it. ASADA do. The TBA anti doping policy clearly refers to 'members' as being covered by the policy.

Hamish you are absolutely correct in what you say and I'm sorry if I haven't got my point across properly. What I am questioning is why TBA have released their own version highlighting Clause 8.3.4 as in

Updated September 2009 Refer page 13, Clause 8.3.4

In Queensland our Rachuig Teams have in the past been required to sign an ASADA based agreement every 2 years. TBAQ conducted courses to explain the rules and regs using a presenter from ASADA.

Last year due to the fact that ASADA was in a state of re-organisation nothing happened. To my knowledge competitors were not required to sign any agreement and consequently no testing was even considered.

Clearly the WADA requirements which apply to the WTBA have been force for more than a year, so my question remains why now?
Or is this just a statement from TBA advising that this year 8.3.4 will be enforced and policed for the first time?

Either way, all is really irrelevant except the vital question:
Exactly who does the rule apply to?

Under the NAD scheme the following is the definition of an athlete that can be tested by ASADA:

Meaning of athlete
(1) For the NAD scheme, each of the following people is an athlete:
(a) an Australian citizen, or a permanent resident, who competes, or has been selected to compete, as a representative of Australia in international sporting competition;
(b) an Australian citizen, or a permanent resident, who has the potential to represent Australia in international sporting competition;
(c) a person who competes as a member of a team in sporting competition (whether held, or to be held, in or outside Australia) at a level at which:
(i) teams that represent Australia in international sporting competition take part; or
(ii) teams that represent organisations in Australia and contain members who have the potential to represent Australia in international sporting competition take part;
(d) a person who competes in sporting competition and:
(i) is receiving support from the Commonwealth or the ASC; or
(ii) is a party to an arrangement with the Commonwealth or the ASC under which the person will receive support from the Commonwealth or the ASC;
(e) a person who competes in international, national or state sporting competition held, or to be held, in Australia;
(f) a person who competes in sporting competition at a level at which people representing Australia could be expected to compete;
National Anti-Doping scheme
The National Anti-Doping (NAD) schemeT TSchedule 2T
PreliminaryT TPart 1T
(g) a person:
(i) who has reached such a standard of performance in the field of sporting activity in which he or she competes as to be capable of representing in international sporting competition the country of which he or she is a citizen or in which he or she is ordinarily resident; and
(ii) in respect of whom ASADA has been requested by a foreign sporting organisation, or is required under a contract with a foreign sporting organisation, to obtain a sample for testing;
(h) a non-Australian in respect of whom ASADA has been requested by, or is required or permitted under a contract with:
(i) a foreign sporting organisation in the country of which the person is a citizen or in which the person is ordinarily resident; or
(ii) a relevant International Sporting Federation;
to obtain a sample for testing;
(i) a person in respect of whom ASADA, under an anti-doping arrangement, is required or permitted to obtain a sample for testing;
(j) a person:
(i) whose name is entered on the Register; and
(ii) who, as a direct or indirect result of having his or her name so entered, is ineligible to take part in sporting competition.
(2) Subject to subclause (3), if a person:
(a) is training, or has at any time within the last 12 months trained, to compete in sporting competition or international sporting competition, or in sporting competition or international sporting competition at a particular level; or
National Anti-Doping scheme
TSchedule 2T The National Anti-Doping (NAD) schemeT
TPart 1T PreliminaryT
(b) has, at any time within the last 12 months competed in sporting competition or international sporting competition, or in sporting competition or international sporting competition at a particular level;
the person is taken for the purposes of subclause (1) to be a person who competes in sporting competition or international sporting competition, or in sporting competition or international sporting competition at that level, as the case may be.
(3) For the NAD scheme, a person is taken not to have been a athlete at a particular time if the person:
(a) notified the relevant national sporting organisation before that time that he or she had retired from taking part in sporting competition; and
(b) has not, since the notification was given, taken part in sporting competition.

Rob

I'm confused...

So when I bowl in a league with my mates and have a few beers before and during our games, will I be subject to this rule?

I am a bit surprised at the lack of knowledge regarding testing as per previous posts.

Correct me if I am wrong..............:confused:
I was under the impression that ONLY the Bowlers and Coaches / Managers who sign a release form that will allow testing both in & out of competition.

Therefore if you are not bowling for your State or National Team and you have not signed a release form YOU can not be tested. WHY.....because you are not on the register of athletes or Coaches / Managers to be potentially tested.

So as a league bowler you can have your 1-2 drinks and have no worries about being tested (except for the boys in blue on the home).

It is illegal to test anyone who has not signed the proper forms, usually handed out by State or National bodies. Once you have signed you are subject to all the testing as required.

Personally if you are trying out for State or National teams I would have thought that there is not a real problem as these athletes would have signed a form (should have) to be able to perform in that team.

League bowlers dont have a problem unless they have signed their form, which would indicate that they are subject to the rules and regulations laid down for our sport.

Pretty simple really, if you want to represent Australia or your State you will have to sign these forms and you would be advised what happens then and where you stand if you are caught out.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of knowledge regarding testing as per previous posts.

Correct me if I am wrong..............:confused:
I was under the impression that ONLY the Bowlers and Coaches / Managers who sign a release form that will allow testing both in & out of competition.

Therefore if you are not bowling for your State or National Team and you have not signed a release form YOU can not be tested. WHY.....because you are not on the register of athletes or Coaches / Managers to be potentially tested.

Do you have a link to any document that supports this interpretation? The TBA Anti Doping policy itself certainly doesn't.
I hope you are correct, but I don't think you are.

Joe,
I am with you on this one as I posted earlier, BUT, a bowler from here (league only) has been reading this and decided to ring ASADA. She was told that if you are a financial member of Tenpin Bowling Australia, or any other government registered NSO for that matter, then you have agreed to all terms and may be required to have a drug test at any time. She went on to further explain that although ASADA can test for drugs at any event registered with or by TBA, it is unlikely that they would come in and test a weekly local event.

As I mentioned earlier, might be a good time for a clarification from TBA.

Rob

Here is another question.

I signed the TBA Drug policy thingy when I first bowled Rachuig in 2003.

Since I have signed the previous agreement, does that carry on for LIFE, or does it run out after so many years? Since I am no longer an active ranking tournament/Rachuig bowler, I gather I am still open to being tested outside of competition.

Does this agreement just include TBA, or does it include ANY sport under ASADA guidelines? ie: golf, athletics, tiddley winks ect

Here is another question.

I signed the TBA Drug policy thingy when I first bowled Rachuig in 2003.

Since I have signed the previous agreement, does that carry on for LIFE, or does it run out after so many years? Since I am no longer an active ranking tournament/Rachuig bowler, I gather I am still open to being tested outside of competition.

Does this agreement just include TBA, or does it include ANY sport under ASADA guidelines? ie: golf, athletics, tiddley winks ect

I was under the impression that it only lasted for 2 years.

Interesting read. So let me get this straight...... I can have one drink and be deemed fine and legally able to go drive my car but too intoxicated to bowl :rolleyes:

Interesting read. So let me get this straight...... I can have one drink and be deemed fine and legally able to go drive my car but too intoxicated to bowl :rolleyes:

I think you are mis-educated about the whole drugs in sport policy, along with alot of others around.

Spend the time to read it all first!

Alcohol, apart from being the second highest drug of addiction in our nation (after tobacco), is a relaxant.

Obviously too much is a problem for doing many things, like driving, and while Shakespeare said alcohol "provokes the desire but takes away the performance"; many darts players know their optimum alcohol-induced state to achieve a comfortable, loose shot under pressure. No doubt more than the odd bowler does too.

So if alcohol can be used as a performance enhancing drug, that's why there's a rule. Do I agree with it? Probably, but mainly on the basis of it can help a player get an advantage. It's a slightly tricky one. Definitely a good thing in terms of our sport's perception.

That said, there's no performance enhancing compound quite like reactive resin. It literally doubles (and more) people's rev rates and hitting power through out-of-box friction. If I could give you a pill to get you the rev rate required to replicate it's effects, your muscles would explode in three games. I don't see coverstocks getting banned any time soon though.

good news guys ive been sponsored by 4xxxx oops! i guess id better not drive the budwieser commodore loaded to the hilt with my new super reactive gear to the nationals, just in case i get pulled over with my cough medicine in my other hand

Has anyone received any clarification from TBA on this matter. Surely they would have to advise all their current Members regarding Testing procedures and who can be tested legally and who can not be...........:confused:

Surely the powers at TBA would want all members to know where they stand legally.

Personally I did not sign any forms or agree to be tested when I paid my TBA membership fee at the centre that I bowl in. And if fronted by ASDA to be tested would refuse:mad: on the basis that I am not in the mix for any National team duties as a player or Team official.:(

I really think that the average league bowlers will not have a problem with ASDA. You must remember that everytime someone is tested, a cost is incurred and I believe that TBA have to pay for a certain amount of bowlers that are tested.(what the numbers are not quite sure) So if Dollars become involved for both TBA & ASDA then those tested would be based on our Elite or future talent which would make a lot of sense. Lets face it these guys are not going to test someone who just bowls league and an occasional special event.:p

Would be nice if TBA could make a comment with regards to this.:rolleyes:

If those 'ball containers' are refrigerated maybe the teams can keep their beer in them(light beer of course, have to behave!! :p)

Back
Top Bottom