the new walter de veer

Well, the Walter de Veer tournament this year was a load of crap. I knew it wasn't the same tournament as it has been in the past, but I thought i'd try it as it would most probably be the last in a long while.
As I said earlier, I made a make up team to have a 4th team in the tournament. My team was team NSW, which consisted of 6 bowlers, myself, Benjamin Adams, Leon Benarto, Casper Boerkamp, Renee Adams and Krystie Camisa. All of us, except Krystie, are from NSW, Krystie from WA.
We were the only mixed team in the comp and came second. First prize was $900. Which wasn't a bad sum. Now this is where it gets disturbing. No Medals, nothing to say that participation was made in the tournament. Top games awards were obviously awarded to the bowlers who bowled the highest scores, in both men and women's divisons. Lillipops and lifesavers were given to them.
At this point I felt that bowling 12 games had no point at all, and being awarded sweets was a swift kick in the arse to those who bowled this tournament to basically save face for the TBA.
I just do not understand why TBA would ruin two tournaments, being the Walter de Veer and the Intercentre Challenge. Why remove or alter two tournaments that had a great following? I remember last year all squads were virtually full. This year, you could add squads as you please. Restricted masters had only 19 men and 14 women. Last year you needed to try a few times (and pay $10 everytime you tried) to get into the finals. This year you were guaranteed to be in th finals as there wasnt many restricted bowlers. Another sad fact was, not many state reps showed up either.
In my oppinion, the TBA Nationals is no longer the place to be for bowlers who average less than 200, as there isnt much to offer anymore. The Holt challenge is going to grow bigger and bigger because of this. I didn't see a reason why both tournaments couldn't run every year, but seeing the crap that went down this year, TBA has alot of work to do go get me, and possibly many other bowlers back to travel many hours to bowl in their tournaments.

While I personally have never bowled Deveer my Mum and many friends have and were always complimentary of theexperience in the past. Reading Richard's previous post both upsets & disturbs me given that I have always been of the opinion that Deveer was a success. It seems like this years TBA nationals was nothing more than a kick in the face for all restricted bowlers but in particular the 4 teams who decided to give it a go.

This year I bowled Holt & found the bowling and the people (this being my first rep team) thoroughly enjoyable. From my point of view, the Holt challenge was nothing but a success. TBA should definitely pay attention to this & hopefully learn from the whole shemozzle of the past 12months.
- lollipops & lifesavers, come on!! :-(

Cheers,
Bec Tapper

As a matter of interest we (The Onka-Morphies) had no intention of entering the new WDV tournament under the original criteria. The only reason we did enter was the fact that the NT team had travelled from Darwin and Alice not knowing that the tournament was likely to be cancelled. John Coxon asked us to help him out so that the NT team would not have a wasted trip. He came up with a revised format with a lower entry cost. As we were already there we agreed to help out as some of the NT bowlers are friends of ours but there is no doubt that the tournament was a flop.

Tony Downes

Re: new walter de veer

What makes these figures a little distorted is that the Rachiug week comprised 8 days (Saturday to Saturday) to the end of Masters, while WDV was 7 days (Saturday to Friday) to the end of Restricted Cup.

BTW, who won the concourse cricket cup ;-)

As most of the Rachuig teams get to Nationals on the Saturday, most teams bowl their National events Sunday & Monday.

Concourse Cricket:- Probably Tigers "poofters" as the Rachuig bowlers were busy bowling.

Back
Top Bottom