Tenpin Sydney State Championships & East Coast Cup Roll Off

Roddney

To All,
Please find attached 2011 Tenpin Sydney State Championships Entry & East Coast Cup Roll Off Entry form.
Championships and Roll Offs will be held over the June long weekend (11th, 12th & 13th).
If anyone is interested in either bowling in the Championships or Team Roll Offs please feel free to give me a call on 0438 408 601 or post here.

Attachments

• State_Championship_NSW_2011_Ver7.pdf
    625.3 KB · Views: 57
  • ECCC_Rolloff_2011_Ver7.pdf
    526.3 KB · Views: 60
Entries for Chris ARTHUR and Robert ARTHUR posted today so hopefully Australia Post will do their job correctly and get them to you in time :)

As long as entries (if posted) are post marked with Fridays date - 3/6/11. They will be accepted. They can also be handed on saturday to myself at Wetherill Park Bowl (I am there bowling Division 1 ID), Cheryl Moore at AMF Villawood (Division 2 ID) or given to Nigel Tector who can slip them under our office door at 7-10 Split Fairfield (Division 3 ID) and I will pick them up on Sunday.
Entries officially close on saturday 4/6/11 so anyone who is rolling off for East Coast must have their deposit ($100) paid by this date.

yes your right there we had our first roll off sat and sund and it was not easy but the thing is with most of the field struggling nearly everyone has a chance of making the team

Yeah I think it is a shame they dont put down a house shot pattern so all the people who think they can bowl can average 220

Yeah I think it is a shame they dont put down a house shot pattern so all the people who think they can bowl can average 220

LOL... For those that dont know Geoff... the font used for this post was "Sarcasm"

I tend to agree... no point making it a carry contest.

Hey Roysa,

"LOL... For those that dont know Geoff... the font used for this post was "Sarcasm"

Do you know where to find that font, I don't seem to have the advanced version on my P.C.

Peter I'm sure someone will expand on what I'm about to say but laying a tougher pattern will allow for want of a better term the cream to rise to the top.

A tougher pattern will force bowlers to think, and maybe even move on the approach. Adjust speed or release among other things and no doubt change balls to better suit the condition.

Whilst I may sound like I've borrowed geoffs sarcasm font in a nutshell there is no point laying a pattern where the scores will not reflect the conditions that would be expected at the tournaments that the competitors are trying out for.

but i would realy like to know the reason for putting a tougher pattern down

Hi Peter

The issue is that the House Shot pattern does not reflect the true ability of the bowler, any bowler really.
The very good bowler can USE the house shot very well and beat the average bowler anyway

The Tougher patterns are more reflective of what is used for Tournaments here and in other countries
We ,as bowlers need to learn how to bowl on these harder patterns to improve our game, Skill levels and accuracy

The real question you should be asking is why do Centres use easy house patterns ???

The answer fundamentally is League average bowlers love to average 200+ even though the reality
is they are 170 average bowlers

Cheers
Geoff

I agree with the harder patterns make the cream rise to the top. They will do this anyway. The down side to tough patterns is one lucky high score can get you in the team because the other bowlers can't pull it back in on a condition that will not let you score. Every coin has two sides. Also we are talking about an event which is trying to cover averages from 100 to 230. The higher end graded bowlers are also pulled back to the field on their scoring ability and then don't have the handicap to compete. Discouraging our 180 to 200 house average bowlers is a bad thing because they are the next scratch bowlers.

good points i started off with low scores but ended up finding a shot in the last 2games(225)(212) which has now given me a little bit more confidence

This pattern is not that difficult, it is just a matter of knowing to slow your ball speed and keep it consistent. (Go back 7-10 years and this would be close to what house shots were like, patterns have just become easier and easier since then, hence STUPID handicap systems like 90% of 220 etc)

Sure the SHOT is a bit tighter, but the better more consistent bowler will succeed creating a stronger team.

Isn’t that what the Roll Offs is all about, finding the stronger bowlers to create a stronger team to beat the other two states?

But hey, don’t let me stop you from living in your DREAM with over inflated averages!

what i noticed about this pattern was if you shot over or close to ten board it was a lot straighter and the closer u got too around 20board you would get more hook and im not a fast bowler and also without the revs of some bowlers that pattern should suit me but it took me 5 or 6 games to work it out which to me is to long i have been bowling for many years now it should not take me so long (must be getting old )LOL

Also i believe that the reason this pattern is down for the rolloff is because this is the pattern that will be used in Queensland for the ECC championships. So the theory is find the best team to bowl on this pattern, this is good in theory and i see it used more and more in rolloffs of every case but everyone knows that the way this pattern plays at Lidcombe could be different to the way if plays in toowoomba but personally i am all for this pattern being put down as relates to the rolloff.

Also the way this Rolloff works is that your scores in the championships go towards your overall pinfall as well as the rolloff on the Monday after the championships is complete. Now i think that the pattern needs to be the same throughout a rolloff and in this case it will be as the pattern will be used in the championships which brings me to another situation. My understanding is that the number of bowlers rolling off is in the minority to the bowlers that just wants to come and bowl in the chamionships themselves so these bowlers will have to bowl on this pattern.

Now i personally don't mind what is put down as i like to challenge myself but there will be bowlers who don't particularly care about rolloffs and just enjoy there house league and ID bowling on weekends and bowl in this for the enjoyment and may become disenchanted with how difficult the condition is, possibly not returning because of there mindset. Just a thought that is all, as i said i personally enjoy a challenge and at times i crumble and other times i succeed but not everyone thinks the same.

So going forward maybe there needs to be possibly a situation where a pattern is put down for the champs that is not extremely hard (and i am not saying that this pattern will be extremely hard but some league bowlers may find it that way) so this allows all bowlers to enjoy the champs and then the oil pattern that will be used in the ECCC thrown down for those rolling off. Now i know some will say that this will give an advantage to bowlers that cannot be overcome in an 8 or 10 game rolloff when they have rolled off during champs for 9 games but we can get around this as well by doing the following.

Have the rolloffs over 2 weekends with say 8 games bowled the sunday before the champs with the pattern put down and then on the long weekend all bowlers on saturday and sunday who are rolling off must do an all events in the champs with an easier but not house pattern and then on the monday public holiday with the pattern for ECCC put down again have a further 8 games rolloff.

This allows the league bowlers who are there just to enjoy themselves in the championships to bowl on a pattern that will reward there skill of bowling and it will also give those rolling off there pattern to determine there team selection but will not be detrimental to the champs as they will still be required to bowl in this.

This is just my thoughts and can be taken or left but after reading this thread i had to make a comment and also wanted to see if a happy medium called be achieved, anyway have a great weekend bowling this weekend and i will see you all on the lanes.

Michael Mclaren
tickets for short lol

As far as I understand Vic and Qld bowl more games for their roll offs. If you take 6 games to line up in NSW, a third of your games, your chances of making the team will be nearly gone.

The other issue is the tougher conditions scare away bowlers and you don't achieve the numbers so people get walk up starts in the teams due to lack of numbers. How does this give you the best teams possible?

As far as I understand Vic and Qld bowl more games for their roll offs. If you take 6 games to line up in NSW, a third of your games, your chances of making the team will be nearly gone.

The other issue is the tougher conditions scare away bowlers and you don't achieve the numbers so people get walk up starts in the teams due to lack of numbers. How does this give you the best teams possible?

2 Things, firstly... if it takes 6 games to realise they arent lined up and they need to move, you wouldnt want them in the team anyway. Not being offensive, its the truth.

Secondly... Im confused, if they are scared to roll off because the condition is hard, what will they do when they make the team on a House Shot at roll offs but then have to compete on the tough condition when the team goes to the tournament??

They are trying to simulate the tourny conditions in roll offs its that simple, and very smart.

Back
Top Bottom