Tenpin City lane type?

RobbieB

Rodentus scientificus
Hi all,
Trying to find out what type of lanes (make and age) they have at Tenpin City Lidcombe, now that the oil pattern is out. TIA!

Hi Rob, the house shot traditionally plays outside 10 board and is laid by teams of Chinese slaves hauling the blocks in to stack up. Junior Nats Pattern is tough at 2.3:1, but the blends are all in the right places for that house. Could play really well if the kids can stay behind the ball and keep their target in front of them. Teams could really open up a pair with tactical abrasive use too. :)

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Rob, the house shot traditionally plays outside 10 board and is laid by teams of Chinese slaves hauling the blocks in to stack up. Junior Nats Pattern is tough at 2.3:1, but the blends are all in the right places for that house. Could play really well if the kids can stay behind the ball and keep their target in front of them. Teams could really open up a pair with tactical abrasive use too. :)

Cheers,
Jason
Unfortunately, the majority of the kids don't have such technical nouse nor ability as yet to back it up. We as adults still play the majority of patterns for our national tournaments the wrong way, how are the kids supposed to handle such a potentially brutal pattern with limited knowledge?

Fair point, Mr Little.

I'm hoping this pattern is one of those that plays easier than the numbers suggest, as the length and blends are well suited to the house. Then again, I often hope for these things and am disappointed...

My best advice for the lads and lasses going to this event is to play it straighter through the front of the lane, especially on the fresh oil, as this will be quite tricky. A sanded ball may open up a little friction spot in time, especially as a team. Definitely get some solid sparing practice under your belt though, guys. You're going to need it!

I'm sure others can offer some good advice.

Cheer,
Jason

All valid comments gents, love reading your input and comments. Some of the juniors going to this event have the nouse to prepare for such a condition and hopefully when they train on them it is at least a close reflection (normally impossible) as you all know. With that said, it falls into the hands of the coaches (in my opinion) who want their team to succeed. The research I do is quite extensive and there is no reason why another coach to do the same. It is a difficult pattern no doubt but as they say...The cream rises to the top!
Ahhh sparing you say Mr Doust! It is a must for tough patterns like this and that is why we have our team shooting spares quite often (enter whinge and moan here) from the juniors. It is often said that spares win matches not only in this case but everytime you pick up a ball!
To sum it up, I like seeing these patterns put down for juniors and after all, it will improve their game to no end if they have access to train on the patterns involved (and that is a problem sometimes too).

Not sure Mick, but surely being exposed to these patterns would be a good start?

Cheers, Cow

Of course being exposed to these patterns are good for future development, but this particular pattern is potentially brutal. You also have to remember that all juniors play on this, I would dare say only a handful at the top would be capable of being able to handle it. Without a doubt most kids traveling are your average house league bowlers churning out their 160-220 avgs depending on skill level, they bowl on this without much prior opportunity of understanding the pattern and those avgs drop 20-30 pins, they get discouraged and look elsewhere. Obviously the exception are those guys n gals who participate in the training squad days but they make up what actual percentage of bowlers who will be bowling at the nationals?

I made a suggestion, that we should be slowly blooding the juniors in on easier WTBA or sports patterns then working towards the harder ones like the Seoul. Or even to potentially in the future run two patterns, with the tougher being used for the open events or open graded bowlers. We made the mistake of introducing the '3:1' patterns to quickly without proper education n know how, and I believe this was a part in the decrease in tournament entries which have only really started improving last year or so. Why send the juniors down a potentially similar path when they are the future of the sport and we need them to keep participating.

Very good & valid comments Michael, you make the most sense, the line to be played is as Dousty said, i took a dozen kids there & they struggled for a while i was able to line them up & shoor some decent scores eventually but the pattern is much too tough for the kids & the scores in the nationals will tell the story

Back
Top Bottom