TBA Structure query

P

phonewrecker

I was wondering how the TBA structure operates, in Qld we have a state based association, a local association & the national association. Are they all authorised by the TBA and does each association have the right to charge membership fees?

Also I heard the centre proprietors are organising to have a direct influence in the tba - is that correct?

In SA each centre has a centre based association, the State division of TBA and then the national TBA. A set amount is added to the TBA National membership fee and the same membership fee applies throughout the State.
The added amounts are split between the State and centre associations.
Most centre associations then use this in their own way to support bowlers in their own centres in many various ways and decided by each Centre Association. Similarly the State division uses their share as decided by the State Board. The TBA national money is sent to them.
The Centre where you originally join is classed as your home centre and you are a member of their Association there. If you wish to join other Centre Associations (ie you bowl in more than one centre and want to be eligible for membership privileges/awards at the other centre) then there is an extra fee to join as an association member at the other centre - in this case there is no doubling up of TBA or State fees.

The fact remains that not all States operate the same. It should be TBA No 1 priority to have all states operate under the same system. Until this is implemented thru-out the country we will be a divided national body with no real powers to administer.

From what I can gather SA is only state to have followed the blue[rint set down several years ago by the National Body.

Question needs to be asked why have the other States or territories not followed the same path.

I know that originally AMF centre Managers could not be bothered to collect registration fees in Victoria and or NSW. Maybe it was a directive from senior Management, which would seem a bit strange, seeing that AMF were pushing the registration drive on TBA board.

Each centre in Australia should have their own association and should answer to their State Board who would then answer to the National body. This would bring everyone under the same umbrella and streamline the management of Tenpin Bowling In Australia.

Each Centre should have a representative on the State Board and each State would select a representative to represent them on the National board.
This would ensure that every State and Territory would be represented at all times at National Level regardless how many members are residing in that State.

The ABPA association along with Goldpin and AMF should be leading the way to get Tenpin Bowling on the right track.

By having centre reps on State boards will give ALL bowlers, I repeat all bowlers the opportunity to be heard at local, State and National Level. And if that particular rep does not do the right thing by the bowlers who voted them in, then the same bowlers can vote against them next time around.

Discussion has been taking place for the last 4-5 years and we are further away from solving the problem.
What the Tenpin Bowling Industry needs is some strong leadership and thick hides to deal with everyone involved in the bowling industry. And we need this very soon. We need to rid ourselves of the current Board and CEO and as they have proved to be very slack in the administration of our great sport.

We need solutions and we need them NOW:mad:
Joe Tomasinski
Mt Isa Super Bowl

Thanks for helping me clear up the structure issue, i have heard alot about $2.5 here and $5 there, I atleast now know why.

However I cant agree with all of the comments put forward. Isn't the tba an association of bowlers, the abpa an association of proprietors, their goals are surely seperate and distinct.

Yes I agree working towards a common goal of promoting the sport, but i don't see how replacing a board of directors (presumably all bowlers) & particularly how replacing the ceo is going to improve the game

Maybe all our sport needs is more grass roots positive uplifting attitudes and less bigotry against those in power; those who have put their professional lives & in most cases domestic lives on hold for their association and sport.

I don't mean to offend anybody, but its easy to point the finger than to be the one to stand up and try to make a difference?

U have made some good points "Phonewrecker" however our CEO has not stood up or made a difference. In fact it is quite the opposite. As you say TBA is for the bowlers, YET the bowlers dont really care if TBA survives or not. For your information it was the AMF / Proprietors / ABPA who bailed TBA and helped them get back on their feet.
What you seem to forget is the OWNERS of these Bowling Centres work very hard to turn over a profit, encourage bowlers to join Leagues, Tournaments. They also advertise in local media, Market the centre to local schools and businesses and try to recruit Social bowlers into league bowlers etc. It is the centres who spend thousands of dollars to encourage new bowlers into the centre. It is the centres who offer prizes and encouragement awards to keeps bowlers in leagues etc. And the list goes on. Ask AMF how much money they spend a year Australia wide with regards to advertising,Marketing and Encouragement awards.

SO what does TBA do for the BOWLERS. !!! YES u are right NOTHING.

Maybe the Proprietors should distance themselves from TBA and run their own show. Would we lose bowlers(I dont think so) would we have less events to bowl in(I dont think so) We might even get to have the Proprietors together + implement a National Marketing campaign. Just think we would have a $100,000 plus in the kitty already if we did not have to pay our CEO.

Remember TBA collect fees form most bowlers and what do they get in return.
NOTHING.

Yes we need a National body. But we need a body that will work to improve the standard of Tenpin Bowling and unite everyone towards a common goal. Forget about going oversea and telling everyone how good we are at running events etc.We should aim to have the international body come to Australia and watch in amazment how unified our industry is and will become the envy of other countries.

Lets fix our own backyard first. Let us make sure that every state and Territory is set up with the same rules and regulations and abides by them.
Let us implement a national advertising campaign with all bowlers and owners contributing towards our National Advertising Fund with registrations fees and lane levies.

Registration fees should be structured in way that will allow State associations to receive some monies as well as the National Body.
This will allow state bodies to implement a lot more programs, which they have trouble doing at the moment due to lack of funding.

Back
Top Bottom