TBA rules: Illawarra(nsw) junior championship cancelled

Serenity

IrontoSteel
It is with regret that our committee must cancel the 2010 Illawarra Junior championship, 2010 Shellharbour Youth Invitational and the Intercentre team challenge due to be held next month on the 18 and 19th Sept, as we could not obtain tournament accreditation.

This is our fault. By a mistake we advertised on totalbowling before officially obtaining TBA sanction for the event. TBA has a new team and is enforcing their rules to the letter.

Our committee could not in all honesty ask our juniors to bowl. We refuse to put any shield or representative players in a position of being in an un-sanctioned event.

A proud tradition continuously spanning 45 years of junior championships has been cut short but we will aim to try to bounce back next year and have big plans, however we can make no promises.

To all those juniors and youth bowlers already entered we will refund money asap. To our bowlers, parents, committee membership and sponsors we thank you for your understanding.

Special thanks go to all the past championship bowlers over the many, many years that have supported our event.

Thank you all.

... and for the people who are travellers and paid for accommodation, what then ??????????

It is with regret that our committee must cancel the 2010 Illawarra Junior championship, 2010 Shellharbour Youth Invitational and the Intercentre team challenge due to be held next month on the 18 and 19th Sept, as we could not obtain tournament accreditation.

This is our fault. By a mistake we advertised on totalbowling before officially obtaining TBA sanction for the event. TBA has a new team and is enforcing their rules to the letter.

Our committee could not in all honesty ask our juniors to bowl. We refuse to put any shield or representative players in a position of being in an un-sanctioned event.

A proud tradition continuously spanning 45 years of junior championships has been cut short but we will aim to try to bounce back next year and have big plans, however we can make no promises.

To all those juniors and youth bowlers already entered we will refund money asap. To our bowlers, parents, committee membership and sponsors we thank you for your understanding.

Special thanks go to all the past championship bowlers over the many, many years that have supported our event.

Thank you all.

Is this the only reason????????????

I don't understand what it is you have breached?

A quick perusal of the rulebook, constitution and bylaws did not reveal any rule that would result in a penalty for any member competing in an unsanctioned event. Maybe I missed it, if so perhaps one of the rules gurus could point me to it please?

I did notice this in the constitution, though:

"The objects of the Company [TBAL] are: a) to foster and promote the sport of Bowling; b) to foster good fellowship among bowlers and to advance the mutual interest of bowlers;"

Hmmmm.

I believe we're still waiting for the reason to be told here..also, whether or not there will be any compensation (monetary or otherwise) for those who had already booked and paid for travel and accomodation.

Thanks for all the support via email and to answer some of the issues raised above , we hope this post will help First words of wisdom .
It’s harder to cancel a tournament than create one. 
You can’t please everyone. 
The umpire is always correct 
We now understand the moral anecdote the "Sword of Damocles" for this scenario (sic) a sense of foreboding engendered by a precarious situation 

Could we run unsanctioned event. No, why ..
(a) The I.S.J.T.B.C aka junior committee has a charter that states all official tournaments are to be accredited. Our 2 major sponsors also concur.
(b) The gem in a regional championship is the open masters. Said winners gain a paid guaranteed entry in the following years NSW state open masters. This is a hotly contested prize and attracts out of region bowlers to compete. With a non-sanctioned event the State committee would not recognise our winners.
(c) State teams can use regional events as training events. Besides giving our juniors much needed competition against top level bowlers the tournament numbers increase and make sponsors happy. They only take sanctioned tournaments.
(d) A quick survey of our bowlers indicated 60% would not bowl if no TBA accreditation was forthcoming.

TBA rules breeched. Accreditation Conditions V1 1 23-06-09.doc
(4) With the exception of Ranked events, draft entry forms, poster and/or tournament rules must be submitted with the accreditation application to enable TBA to counsel in event of possible rule violations and/or discrepancies prior to the printing of final documents. Tournament Accreditation applications that are submitted after the printing of entry forms may not comply under the Tournament Accreditation requirements.

We published a flyer (not the official tournament documents on total bowling) prior to TBA approving our application. We suffered a timing error. We tried to state our case with TBA but with time running out we had to look after our players that needed to book accommodation and make an official cancellation. We stand by the umpire’s decision and will know better next time.

As all the entries could only be made by email to [email protected] we were able to advise players of the issue and then the cancellation. I am sure all travel booked can be refunded with 3 weeks’ notice given.
Thanks for your time.

The purpose of the TBA Rule Book is not to impede the sport of Tenpin Bowling, which it seems it has done in this case - causing a tournament which has been around for more than five minutes to cancel it's event.

This is not really fostering participation of the sport is it?

I do not imagine the Junior Championship has had a problem with being sanctioned in the past, nor would I guess you have changed anything of significance to your event.
Logically you could have concluded that accreditation was a formality.

Rule 4 uses the phrase 'may not comply', which gives some latitude to the rule makers to allow timing issues to still be OK.

If TBA has caused this to not go ahead on this rule alone, I am sure there are other rules they have breached by causing a long time junior tournament to not be held.

Sorry Juniors, this is the result of a bunch of stupid people hiding behind a set of rules they seem to want to use to impede the sport rather than enhance it.

V

Ok i am not sure what has gone on here with this event but i spoke personally with Cara today on the phone and she assures me that if this event is only being cancelled because it could not obtain tournament accreditation, then the event even this late out can still get accredited in time...

Its no the first time TBA have had to obtain tournament accreditation at the 11th hour...

Hope this helps...If this information gets back to the correct people involved i am sure this event can still go ahead...Just means that everyone needs to move quickly so we don't have too many cancelled flights and accommodation...

Hope that helps...

Back
Top Bottom