Switchable thumb inserts

i have 1 in bright yellow and 1 in bright green
and i have seen purple aswell in that brand i think they are switch grips

daniel d

theres a couple of types i've seen griploc, and the turbo's mainly they seem to come in white, yellow, orange, green, purple, mainly although there may well be other colours

Sounds good so far - thanks. BowlersBasement seems only to have black and white advertised on their website though and I haven't seen any other sites that state they have them. Who else sells them?

Lawrie Hill is the griploc distributor for australia from what i know, and if you are looking for a ana adelaide proshop that carries them i know Brenton Davis at village bowl carries both turbo switchgrip and griploc,

well when you pay as much as you do for the interchangeables you would want the color that you like. these things are awesome never had a problem with them

matt

just some questions about em guys

what are the advantages of using them?

Do the outters take a fair bit out of the balls weight block compared to normal slugs.?

How many inner slugs do you carry?

Cheers
cam

Surely the advantages are obvious - if your thumb swells up while bowling you can very quickly remove one interchangeable insert for another which saves the bother of using tape. My partner can use up to 3 different inserts during one game. Unlike tape which when removed leaves a sticky residue, the interchangeables are very convenient to use.
Each insert is a different colour depending on the size - nothing to do with any fashion statement. Regular users very quickly learn the colour sequence and will have the next size in their pocket while they bowl.
The drilled hole is not that much bigger than that drilled for a thumb slug.
A couple of points to be wary of - the "outer" part of the insert needs to be very accurately placed into the ball, the smallest lip protruding out of the thumb hole will cause constant vibration as the ball hits the lane, eventually damaging the locking area at the base of the thumb hole. The result being that one day you will not "lock in" properly and your ball will come out of the ball lift minus the insert as it has been lost down the back end. Not only an annoyance to the bowler, but serious problems to the bowling centre as the insert is somewhere down the back end causing problems, or resting in the underlane ball return causing balls to bounce out, get damaged and cause a nightmare to find.
My partner has lots 2 inserts so far, one was found easily fortunately, the other was lost during a very busy league and was never recovered.
IMHO - the interchangeable inserts are a great idea so long as they are correctly in place and users make sure the locking device is working as it should.
Josie Adams

i have a problem with my thumb swelling thats why i use them i have one (green) that i use first up that will normally last me to the start of my third game depending on the day
then i change to my yellow one and that starts to get a bit small at about 9 - 10 games
i will be gatting another one with my next ball a bit bigger again cause when i start winning bigger comps with 15 games matchplay i will need it lol :rolleyes:

and from what i have been told the griplocs already come drilled in different sizes and the switchgrips do not so you can shape them a bit better
i may be wrong though

daniel d

i saw George F using them in the brunswick cup 2 years ago and thought it was a grreat idea as some times u try and have the same thumb hole but sometimes there are not quite the same, so when u change balls the thumb feels different.

I know Bob Hughes down at Southgate in Sydney, sells them for lawrie, i have one and going for more

Hi All,
Griploc Interchangeable Thumb Inserts consist of a Polymer outer sleeve
and Urethane inserts. There are two sizes of Outers - Standard and Large.
for the Standard outer you drill an 1 3/8" hole the same as for an ordinary
slug, and for the large outer you need to drill an 1 1/2" hole. For the Standard Inners you have a choice of using a full interchangeable slug and
drilling and shaping as you prefer, or preformed urethane interchangeable
inserts, where each colour is a different size going up in graduations of 1/64".
For the large Inners you don`t have a choice, all you have ( at this time ) is
a full interchangeable slug that you have to drill and shape as you see fit.
Very shortly I will have available pre-formed oval inserts to fit both Standard
and Large.
Fitting is very important ( although the new version with it`s
lugs further down inside is much better and more free of any problems ), but
the people who are fitting them ( including myself ) are getting pretty good at it. For a complete list of Pro - Shops that sell and fit Griploc Products -
just go to - www.griplocaus.com - or ring me on 07-38880501 or 0403352501.
Cheers
Lawrie (Animal ) Hill

just some questions about em guys
what are the advantages of using them?
Do the outters take a fair bit out of the balls weight block compared to normal slugs.?
How many inner slugs do you carry?
Cheers
cam
I've just change some of my balls to SwitchGrips.
My reason was that my thumb swells after more than 6 games of bowling, as result I was struggling to get my thumb into the ball. I had to change balls.
Firstly, these thumb insert are not that much different to thumb plugs.
Currently I have two inner slugs, one my normal size, the other two size bigger, however I have 4 balls adapted to take them.
The main advantage is being able to use the same ball, you just change the thumb slug and continue bowling.
Prior to changing the thumb, if my thumb changed during bowling, I could not use that ball, even if it was the best ball for the conditions.

SwitchGrips are on thier 3rd generation, there was problems in the early days with them breaking, it does appear that this problem has been sorted. My driller claims of the 3rd generation stuff, so far, not one has been returned.

I intend to get two more soon, just in case one breaks, but they are not cheap...in the UK, it cost £25, or about $50+AUD.
My driller claimed that the special drill bit for this cost him around £300 or in Ozzie money $650AUD.
All this said, I will still be keeping some of my balls drilled in the traditional manner.
Hope this answers some of your questions

Back
Top Bottom