SQ Youth Roll Offs

Just wondering if its on the weekend of the 9th of July still? Not only does it clash with a sport series, a major junior tournament, but the National Junior Development camp. Surely TBAQ could change the dates, otherwise one of the best bowlers out there is going to miss out

Hamish

Hamish,

The Sports Series on the 9th of July has been incorporated into the rolloff for the youth team this year. On that point, yes it will clash with the camp if it is that weekend.

Cheers.

It sure does.Im not sure if it was jase's idea or who's.. but its probably the best idea ive ever seen.

And to the point that it clashes with a major junior tournament. Who cares?

Thats why its the YOUTH rolloffs.. its not for juniors. Sure juniors are more than encouraged to roll off....and no doubt some of the juniors can smash some of the youth bowlers.

But it is made for 18-23.

TBAQ policy is to incorporate roll-offs into existing events wherever possible.
The tournament calendar is getting tighter and tighter and game charges aren't going down, so it seems good sense to combine events.

When looking at the timing of the roll off a number of things are taken into consideration. We look at ranked YOUTH tournaments as well as Adult tournaments. We cannot hold a roll off if it clashes with these. Also our team will be required to contest the State Championships in August, so we need to give the team a few weeks to get organized etc.

And having it as part of the Sports series is a fantastic idea as the National Youth Teams Challenge is played on both long and short oil patterns in the one day, very hard conditions indeed. We thank Jeff and Jason for allowing us to do this.

Hamish if you want to roll off you will have to make a choice between junior or youth.

If you have any questions i will be at Redcliffe on Tuesday night.

Laura McCloskey

Right. Firstly, Shannon, i am a youth bowler, i fit into the bracket of 18-23......
Thats why its the YOUTH rolloffs.. its not for juniors.
Im just disappointed that not all youth bowlers are getting looked after. Laura, im looking forward to having a bit of a chat about this on tuesday night.'

Cheers, Hamish

I also would like to attend this rolloff. But since the dates clash with me going to Mackay I won't be able to.

Hamish,

This isn't Jeff's or my idea, I am led to believe Jeff was approached by Laura McCloskey and he agreed to the suggestion. We both think its great that it’s happening but if it clashes with a tournament well its unfortunate that does happen a fair bit these days.

but what happens if the bowlers are going to the national junior development camp. i am sure that we would be allowed to put in a resume as we cannot attend but the possibility of someone getting in with just the resume is pretty dismal. so i guess for all of the juniors that are competing in other events or going to national events that we will have to look at drafting.

matt simpson

From what i can see, 3 juniors who will also be eligable for youth roll offs this year will be at the National Development camp.
Also, does TBAQ and/or the youth team benifit financially out of having more entrys?

I have been watching with interest the comments made on the QS roll offs and as President of the Youth sub committee and with Laura the Secretary we had little other choice as far as which weekend to have the roll off. If Junior bowlers have to make a choice between tournaments or development camps so be it. We would welcome all of the Juniors ageing out, but we can't keep everyone happy. I am sorry to say! As far as Resume, we as a committee have decided that it is first four past the past and as far as drafting goes, the rules might have changed for next year but it was the rule you had to roll off in your area before you could draft.
I hope this clears up a few things, if any junior bowler ageing out would like to rolloff they will be very welcome.
Please find the nomination form in the Queensland section.
thank you
Chris Ireland
PRESIDENT
Qld South Youth Committee

Hi Chris and Laura,
This may have been better off being posted in the actual Sport Series topic, but I was wondering what the possibility would be of having some of the entry fee paid by Youth bowlers to enter the Sport Series tournament being put aside for a special prizefund for us (especially for us girls!).
I am all for roll-offs being made part of a tournament as it gives people a chance to practice on tournament conditions and have a chance at making some money back, but I'm a little bit concerned that it's going to be a fairly expensive outing (by typical roll-off standards) and that a fair few of us will realistically have only a slight chance of making any money at all back while bowling against the guys that bowl the Sports Series.
What I'd propose is perhaps having a separate, smaller payout that would enable the Youth bowlers (and I know I'm not speaking for all of us as I'm sure some will cash) to make a little bit of money back. I feel that the Rachuig/De Veer roll-off being held in conjunction with the Twin Tour was a fantastic example of how to combine a tournament and roll-off, because everyone had a chance to cash (both scratch and handicap bowlers).
I know the guys that bowl the Sports Series may not agree with this, as I know they like to encourage the younger bowlers to have a go on the tougher conditions and see how they fare - it's more the financial side of things that I'm concerned about.
Just my opinion - I'd love to know what anyone else's thoughts were on this...
Sorry for the long post!
Krissy :)

Hi Krissy
We will not have any extra to pay into a prizefund for the ones who do not cash unfortunately, we are not having it as part of the sports series as a financial gain. We had to do it that weekend because there was not any weekends free for just the roll offs. It is a little more expensive to roll off this year but it is nearly double the amount of games.
Also, I have spoken to Alex Popov and Gordon Little today at K&K and for the Juniors ageing out this year, I have clarified with them what the juniors that are going to the National Traiining camp can do. These juniors are able to write a letter to the Youth Committee for an exemption, we are then able to decide if we take the exemption and then we will pass it onto TBA for them to put you into the draft. Because QS Youth has been decided it tis first 4 past the post you are unable to get an exemption into QS team.
Hope this clears all the uncertainty out there.
Chris Ireland
PS IF anyone would like to come and have a say and help make some decisions for next year come to the AGM we are having on the Sunday of the rolloff as I would love to see someone or anyone there, as I was the only person to turn up for the last AGM in March.

Hi Chris,

I totally understand that the roll offs are not being held in conjunction with the Sports Series for any financial gain, but just considering some of these factors, I'm still a bit concerned about the cost.

It's being held in Caboolture, which is a fair drive for most of the bowlers. I know there are a few youth girls and guys that do bowl at Caboolture but I think these are a minority when compared to the group as a whole.

It's also being held over two days, which means double lots of petrol OR accomodation money, which when compared to previous years really does add to the cost. I know Bianca, Kim, Ben, Ian, Andy and I are going to stay overnight in a motel to cut down on the driving time and petrol money for all of us.

What I'm trying to get at is that this is a Youth roll-off. Most of us aren't exactly cashed up! I'm just questioning in my mind if the Sport Series was an appropriate and fair choice of tournament for all bowlers. There are going to be lots of younger bowlers trying out, and while I know a few do legitimately have a chance to cash, I feel that for the majority it may turn out to be wasted money, as even if they do qualify there is the real chance of still not making any money back, then having to fork out for the costs associated with making the team.

Is there not any way to use some of the EXTRA revenue generated from Youth Roll-Off entries into the Sports Series to pay perhaps the top 3 male and female bowlers that don't make their money back? Holding the roll-offs in conjunction with the SS must surely be creating extra entries/money for them - I for one do not bowl in these as I feel it would be (for me) a waste of money, although I do appreciate that the extra practice on the tougher conditions would do me good (and I know that Jeff in particular welcomes and encourages Youth and Junior bowlers).

I don't want to challenge the decisions made by volunteer co-ordinators as I know you give up your own time and effort to make these events happen, but I just question the validity of making Youth bowlers enter a tournament that they normally would not, without perhaps giving them a little bit of an extra chance to get some money back.

Sorry for the long post - I may be alone in my thinking here, but it's just my opinion - and I'm bored at work.

Krissy

Krissy,

Would you like to show us a cheaper Tournament around to enter in?
10 Games for $75.00 with half the field getting some kind of cash return.
What is your alternative?
I mean in regards to the roll off, you would still have to pay for your games no matter where and when you bowl them.

As for being unfair, i think you will find paying the top three places in the youth section would only still be cashing the pockets of those who would cash in the sport series as well. I can name at least two youth bowlers who finished in front of me on a tough condition at the weekend of the K&K, and i can tell you it’s not the first time that’s happened and won’t be the last.

As for travel that’s not uncommon these days for tournaments. I mean I can’t see anyone questioning the 2 day tournament for Ladies classic held at Caboolture.
Its 20 minutes from the Brisbane, no further than say Mt Warren.

The junior committee came to us wanting the roll off included in the Sport Series, if they don’t want it we would love to go back to our new formats rather than change them as we have had to, to accommodate you guys with the extra numbers. In doing this we are forfeiting the match play set up we have enjoyed so much….

Jeff agreed to it as he thought it would help bowling, and be for the good of the sport.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey Jase,

While I agree with your point that $75 for ten games isn't a lot to enter a tournament these days, what I'm looking at is value for money when you consider the age and ability of many of the Youth bowlers.

The Sport Series is a great set of tournaments, and certainly does provide a challenge, when you look at conditions and competition from other bowlers. My question is, was it the most appropriate choice of tournament to hold in conjunction with a Youth Roll-off? The Sport Series is a set of tournaments run by and aimed at elite Queensland bowlers, of which I'm guessing 95% are male. This means that 18-23 year old female Youth bowlers are being asked to enter this tournament and compete on level pegging with bowlers like yourself, Carl and Pilko.

While browsing both the TotalBowling and TBA tournament calendars, it appears that on the previous weekend, there is a Twin Tour being held at Caboolture which doesn't seem to clash with any other tournament (except the Commonwealth competition, which doesn't involve any Queensland youth bowlers). Would this not have been a wiser choice of tournament to hold the roll-off in? It is also $75 for ten games, and realistically does offer a greater number of Youth bowlers the chance to make money back.

It seems odd to have held the Rachuig roll-off (consisting of high average adult bowlers) in the Twin Tour (a tournament consisting of male, female, handicap AND scratch divisions), then to hold a Youth roll-off in a one (male-dominated) division scratch-only tournament.

I realise that these days it is hard to secure a date that doesn't clash with anything else, but it seems that in this situation there was a viable alternative which would offer most of the Youth bowlers a much higher chance at making some money back.

I am unaware if any Youth bowlers were consulted in the decision making for the format, but I know, if given the choice, which tournament I would have chosen.

Again, this isn't critiscm against anyone - it's just my opinion.

Thanks,

Krissy :)

Krissy said:
It seems odd to have held the Rachuig roll-off (consisting of high average adult bowlers) in the Twin Tour (a tournament consisting of male, female, handicap AND scratch divisions), then to hold a Youth roll-off in a one (male-dominated) division scratch-only tournament.

Yes agree with you 200% on that, but that also wasn’t our decision!!!! You will have to take that argument up with the South Qld Adult Committee!
They made all the decisions on that not the players…

Krissy said:
I am unaware if any Youth bowlers were consulted in the decision making for the format, but I know, if given the choice, which tournament I would have chosen.

As for this last comment, i didn’t know you guys ran the South Qld Youth roll offs. I actually thought they elected a committee for that. Did you sit for the positions on the board so you could make these decisions? I am sure they would be keen to have more help….

So Jeff are you going to tell them or am i??????????????????????;)

Hi Jase,

I didn't say we ran the board (I can't commit to the time needed to join the committee) - all I'm saying is that if I'd been asked (along with the Youth bowlers I've spoken to that also aren't keen on this decision), I can see which I would have preferred. As I said, I'm not trying to have a dig at anyone, I was just asking Chris and Laura about possible alternatives.

Thanks,

Krissy

The Sport Series is a set of tournaments run by and aimed at elite Queensland bowlers,
Krissy , thanks but i am no way one of Queendslands elite!!!!!!!
As for why the sq youth wanted the rolloffs in the sports series i was told the following reasons -
A - the bowlers will be bowling on a short pattern on the saturday and they wanted the bowlers to bowl on a long oil pattern on the sunday.
B - the centre the youth bowlers are going to is a wood centre with a kegel machine and the youth bowlers will be bowling on a 3 to 1 pattern.
Now with that info i thought it was a great idea by the committee to ask me if they could be part of the sport series, this should give the sq youth team the best chance of winning.
Now i am sure if you had taken the time to phone or email someone from the sq youth committee they could told you the same reasons.

Ok if all youth bowlers feel the same way as krissy does, please get in contact with the sq youth committee and let them know and i am sure they can arrange a different tourny for you to bowl in .

MAYBE BOWLERS SHOULD START TO LOOK AT WHAT IS GOOD FOR THE SPORT INSTEAD OF WHATS GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom