South QLD Open Master Champions

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Congratulations go to George Frilingos and Kimberly-Rose Hanning on taking out the South Qld Open Masters this afternoon at Milton Bowl in Brisbane.
George Frilingos defeated Brandon Qualischefski 210-202 in the final match
Kimberly-Rose Hanning defeated Tanya Stevenson 227-179 in there final
match..

Well with a new adult committee helping run the event and a New Masters format to try, things ran quiet smoothly.
Men’s Division saw a Quality field of Australian Representatives’ George Frilingos, Brandon Qualischefski and Qualischefski is also defending State masters Champion of 2005.Rachuig bowlers Brendan Meads, David Turnage, Graeme Morgan, Adam Lack and Shayne Melton.

Round one
With a new format change saw only 20 finalists, bowling 5 games moving 2 pairs of lanes after each game. 20 points for the highest game rolled each time through to 1 point for the lowest. After the five games the 12 highest total point scores go through to round two.
Local bowler Graeme Morgan set a blistering pace averaging 233.6 for his five games to take the early lead. Defending champion Brandon Qualischefski was comfortably sitting in third spot and young youth bowler... Two handed style Tim Reichel rounded out the top 12 after five games… you needed to average 194 or better to make the next round.

Round two saw the same format only 12 finalists, bowling 6 games moving 1 pair of lanes after each two game block! 12 points for the highest game rolled each time through to 1 point for the lowest. After the six games the 12 highest total point scores go through to round three.
Defending champion Brandon Qualischefski (61 points) set a blistering pace, games of 246,269,279,237,268,224, a 6 game personal best record total of 1523 and an average of 253.8 for the six games. Graeme Morgan (51 points) was a distant second averaging a respectable 228.2 for his six games and Frilingos (47 points) rounded out the top 3 averaging 228.8, tied with Brendan Meads also on (47 points) and an average of 231.3. Restricted masters runner up and the ever fast improving Paul Chambers rounded out the top six to advance to the third and Final round of the finals with (45 points) and an average of 220.8.

The final round saw all six bowlers on the same pair going head to head, lowest game sits out and the rest move on till the last man standing.
Game one seen a tight affair!!! Qualischefski comfortably moving to the next game with double, nine spare off the sheet 279, to improve his average for the day! Brendan Meads shot 221, Graeme Morgan 204 to both advance through. Paul chambers and George Frilingos tied with 196’s and Adam Pringle the low game casualty with a 181. That game saw the first life of Frilingos having to spare the 5-6 he left and also through a 6 count in the ninth frame but did enough to see him advance through.

Game two and Qualischefski start with the front 5 to take his strike tally to 14 straight and finish with a game score of 258. Paul Chambers had the front 8 and with the unlucky carry finished with 268. George rolled a very nice 255 and Graeme 245 all to advance to the next game, unfortunately Meads couldn’t go with the others in this game and was the low game casualty with 185 and finished a creditable 5th in the 2006 Open Men’s Masters.

Game three saw Frilingos given another life line, Graeme Morgan produced a fine 263 with Qualischefski in free wheel mode with another fine 246 to see them both advance. Frilingos and Chambers both going frame for frame and this one was going to the tenth. Paul only needing to close the tenth to advance, leaving a 3-6-7-10 on his first shot, Paul didn’t convert the split which seen Frilingos advance with 199 to Chambers 187. Paul Finishing 4th in his first Open Masters appearance!!

Game four once again seen Qualischefski free wheel into the final match; with a string of strikes once again he bowled a very nice 277! He sat back and watched Morgan and Frilingos take this one to the wire to see who was bowling him in the final match. Frame for frame the two left handers weren’t giving an inch. This one went to the tenth frame. Morgan needing a Strike in the tenth to close it out left a wobbling 10 pin out of a light pocket. Makes the spare and can still close Frilingos out with a 9 count and can advance to the final, but wasn’t to be, hanging up in the ball and leaving a 7 count allowed Frilingos to advance to the final match 208-207
And Morgan bowed out in a creditable 3 position.

The final match wasn’t what we expected the ever free flowing Qualischefski lost some of his carry and the 7-10 he left in the middle of the match didn’t help either.

Frilingos showed once again why he has been a dominant force in both QLD and Australian bowling by grinding out this match and finally taking it from Qualischefski, 210-202.

Qualischefski averaged an out standing 253 for his last 11 games!

The change in format for this years' event was a great idea, and it did give everyone in the field a chance to be in the top 6, but unfortunately the best bowler of the day ran second. The format made the Masters interesting, from both a bowler and spectator perspective, and should be looked at for maybe a tournament perspective.

Well done to the guys who ran the event and also don’t forget the people who gave up there weekend to be there and help out..

Kelly Warren
Glenda Barry
Andrew Shinnie
Nell Weir

Sorry i didnt have a Ladies write up.. They were on at the same time and from where i sat i couldn't get a good view of the matches to comment on..

Well done to all bowlers

Congratulations to both bowlers!! A great effort by both bowlers.

Kyles & Lacky

Well done to both George and Kimmy Rose. Look forward to seeing you both at rachuig in a couple of months.

Matty

Congrats George and Kimmy.

Bad luck Brando, unlucky not to win. Was certainly the form bowler from Top 12 onwards.

Congratulations to both George and Kimberley-Rose on their wins this afternoon, and also to the runners-up Brandon Qually and Tanya Stevenson. George was lucky to scrape thru a few of the matchplay games in order to make it to the final match against Brando, but did what counted to take home the trophy. Kimberley bowled extremely well all afternoon, and got the better of the 10 pins in the final few games!!!

The change in format for this years' event was a great idea, and it gave EVERYONE in the field a chance to be in the top 6...... beats heading into the final a couple of hundred pins down (on pinfall) and thinking that you have no hope!! Congratulations to the tournament team for giving something "old and stale" a bit of a makeover and really making the masters interesting, from both a bowler and spectator perspective!

congrats guys

kimmoi shame i wasnt there today still feeling the effects from last night at the bar but hey. do us all proud in tassie!

matt

well done to the winners and all the bowlers who made the finals six.

Well done to the Andrew, Marto and Danny on the format it was great to bowl in.

I would like to say a big champion status to Kimmy Rose you sexy fox for winning the masters you such a trooper.. Cant wait to see tomorrow night to give you a big sloppy kiss WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP!!!!

Congrats to George for winning the guys as well..

Nobbsei

congrats to both winner.

like to make a big congrats to paul chambers who ran a great 4th bowled great all day. and really proved that he can bowl. keep up the awsome bowling

Well done to George and Kimmy Rose on winning the masters, also well done to Tanya well bowled.

I agree with you Luke, Paul has come along way in the last 12 months well done on your 4th place Paul, very impressive.

Congrats George and Kimmy on your wins.

Also well done to my Sour Cream Pringles! You bowled really well today honey so well done.

Taya

Congratulations George on yet another win.

And Also, well done to Gympie Horse see you tommorow night!

Sandy

Thanks for the compliments guys. Had a good day. George proved again that if you give him a chance you'll pay the price.
Brando was plain awesome as usual and Graham bowled well. It was great to compete against these talented bowlers.

Ninja299 said:
well done to the winners and all the bowlers who made the finals six.
Well done to the Andrew, Marto and Danny on the format it was great to bowl in.
Just to clear up any confusion the Andrew concerned is Andrew Christopher not Andrew S.
Andrew Christopher is the one who deserves the credit.
(Andrew S. is the good looking one.)

Firstly, congratulations to George and Kimmy on their respective victories. Very well done, and best of luck in the Australian Masters.

The format is very much in the experimental stage. The points system was used in the first two rounds to bring the bowlers closer together, to try and create a bit more pressure. The top 12 all deserved their place, as did the top 6's and congratulations to all those who made the cuts.

The Top 6 Eliminator proved very interesting. It's was great that we still had the nations 1 and 2 ranked bowlers fighting out the final 2. I totally agree that Brando had been the best bowler all day, I've never seen anyone bowl that good in the lead up games to the final 2, and he was unlucky not to win. George had the luck riding with him, and could have realistically found himself out of the competition in 3 of the earlier elimination rounds. But, that's sport .... not always the best player wins.

As I said ... it's in the experimental stage. It's something different. The crowd that watched this years final games (about 30-40) was well up on last year (about 4 or 5 apparently). And I didn't see too many leave once the final six started. Maybe next year the leader after the top 12 gets an extra life in the top 6? That might be one way to reward the lead qualifier. Suggestions are more than welcome.

Our next target as a committee will be to increase the numbers competing in the state champs, as competitor numbers were a bit disappointing.

Thanks to all that participated.

A big thank you also to the tournament team. Glenda Barry and Nell Weir, you both were brilliant - thank you for your time and contributions, we would struggle without you. Thanks to Kelly Warren (time to lace up the bowling shoes again Kel, I can hear the pins a'callin ..) and Gail Torrens for helping out too, and to my fellow adult committee members, Andrew Christopher and Danny Simpson who did a great job.

Cheers.

Gutter rat said:
Thanks for the compliments guys. Had a good day. George proved again that if you give him a chance you'll pay the price.
Brando was plain awesome as usual and Graham bowled well. It was great to compete against these talented bowlers.
Well done Paul. Your game is improving all the time and you bowled brilliantly throughout the Masters. Keep it up champ. =D>

I hope maybe next year some sort of sponsorship can be found to increase prize money.
Only 1st place in the restricted was guaranteed money and 1st and 2nd in the open masters was guaranteed money.
I think to make the finals through 2 cuts is not easy and places 3-6 should receive some cash reward.
To even qualify for the masters you have to do singles ,doubles and teams and pay to qualify for masters.Thats $85 + $65 entry = $150
I love to bowl and bowl in everything going but numbers are slipping and some how we need to find more incentive to increase the numbers in these events.
The format is good and yes a second chance for Brando would have been good to see.
Thanks Paul

Well done too both bowlers, I dont know Kimmy Rose, but I am sure your win was well deserved, George, your name seems to be everywhere, you must be a talented bowler, you have a very good future in front of you young man.

I have to say I really love the story that you wrote on the first page, when I am sitting here reading it makes me feel like I was there in the crowd, well done Jason it was terrific.

Back
Top Bottom