Side pin shooting, is it better to use a plastic or regular

L

LuckyStrike

Just trying to get some thoughts as Im struggling with spare shooting especially the side pins. I bought a plastic ball but Im probably better with just the regular strike ball except for ten pins. Should I force myself to use the plastic ball for all side pins?

I use a reactive ball. I haven't owned a plastic ball for 4yrs.
But I get my ten pins differently to most right handers.
My original style was backup when i first started now I am doing the original right handed swing but for my 3,6,9,10 pins i change to back-up.
Try it...its good :) Also what ever makes you feel confident about not missing your side pins is the way to go. Don't try to change it up or you will ruin your routine every time.

Assuming you are a right hander as you mentioned the 10 pin as the major obstacle then yes I suggest you use a plastic ball for this pin.

For the left hand pins I suggest you go with your current method of the strike ball. However if you are having trouble going through the oil in the middle then do what I do and stand in the middle of the approach and shoot through the third arrow adjusting until you can comfortably handle all of the 2-4-7-8 pins and any combinations of them. (Of course as a left hander I do this to cover the 3-6-9-10 pins).

You should practice throwing the plastic ball at the ten pin until you can throw a completely flat shot with little if any movement off the straight line.

Once you can comfortably spare it 9/10 times then you can use the plastic for other right hand combos like the 3, 6, 3-10, 3-9, 6-10 etc.

The key is to find a method that you are completely comfortable with and stick to it. Of course this method must be yielding at least 9/10 or 90% success rates to be succesful.

You may need to record your pin leaves for a couple of weeks in league or practice to determine your conversion ratio to see if the method is working. Memory is not a good guide because you tend to forget about the bad and just remember the good.

I've developed my sparing system over a number of years and although it may not be text book it works and that is the bottom line.

Remember sparing not striking is the key to maintaining a 190 plus average and anyone who tells you otherwise does not know enough about the game.

i use a plastic ball for my 10 pin, 6 pin and 3 pin and then a reactive for 2 pin, 4 pin and 7 pin
with my right hand spares i just use a forward roll shot because plastic balls tend to move a little bit sometimes
For the left hand side i use a 3-6-9 sparing system and make sure i dont get to much rotation on the ball

I'm a right-hander, I tend to skid my reactive ball down for the 10 pin. Works a treat too, I sometimes hope the 7 pin was up there too for a 7-10 pickup.

I don't use plastic either and it works for me. As long as you know how you can spare those annoying corner pins, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. ;)

Believe me, I get some weird looks when my reactive ball crosses the lane and holds onto the side gutter - but I rarely miss!

The best sparer in the modern game is Walter Ray Williams.

He throws plastic at every spare using an end to end roll that hits the thumbhole on the way down the lane.

In the last 12 months, he has missed (as of before the current TOC, I havent heard since) 2 single pins. Both were in the same game during matchplay against Pete Webber.

Can't argue with that!

A plastic ball for all pins on the right & reactive for ones on the left is how I approach sparing. But it's not ideal as you have mentioned could get caught in the oil. If you're struggling with certain spares I suggest you go to a centre that has a program which will continually set up the pin or pins you're struggling with.
You can then continually practice converting this spare over & over. I used to struggle sparing the 10 pin so to help correct this I went to the Greensborough Centre. This has a program that can continually set up the 10 pin or whatever pins you like. After 2 long practice sessions I was back to sparing well again.
I hope this helps.

Regards,

Darren.

Ive always used what ever ball I was using as a strike ball....... Hating plastic balls!

Until I recently bought a plastic ball....Hated it again for a few weeks...until I spent a few hours just throwing at 10 pins with it (Gotta Love InstructoMat).

Now I dont think Ive missed a 10 pin since.......

I just use whatever ball I'm throwing...

I can throw it hard and flat enough to use anything.

I have a Roto Grip Spare Tyre for my spare shooting.
I shoot all my side pins with it.
For 10 pins i stand on about 30 board (right handed) and shoot straight over 20-19 board.
For 7 pins i stand on about 10 board and shoot straight over 15-17 board.

Lucky Strike - what a great sign in name! Most people overbowl the corner pins and have no body alignment before starting. They miss before they get started - you should be square to your target (shoulder to pin) be as far left of the lane on your approach position as practical (for a right hander going for the 10 pin) Have a straight swing and a forward roll release - your release point should be as close as practical to the foul line - earlier trigger release rather than late - the later the release the more you miss to the left. Other options bend hand back and open hand on release - learn how to kill the roll for a perfect straight end over end roll. Practise Practise Practise - this system works - when you trust it fully it will not matter what ball you use. Plastic is always a great choice when starting out and is used by high skill players - remember the straighter the better.

The straight swing is the critical component for consistency - have a friend watch your backswing when sparing the corners if the back swing is inline with your target and you do not overbowl - YOU WILL PERFECT ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT skills in the game.

Gail Torrens

The best sparer in the modern game is Walter Ray Williams.
He throws plastic at every spare using an end to end roll that hits the thumbhole on the way down the lane.
In the last 12 months, he has missed (as of before the current TOC, I havent heard since) 2 single pins. Both were in the same game during matchplay against Pete Webber.
Can't argue with that!

Takes the lane out of play!

On your average House shot the hook ball for the left side pins is probably quite practical. But what about when that nice little area you have is gone?? Suddenly your missing pins left, right and... well not centre obviously... but whatever.
Take the Lane out of PLAY! Learn to throw your spares straight. When the best in the world do it. And practically all the Pro's and Elite bowlers do it. There is usually a pretty decent reason for it.
I find I can go to any centre in the world and know that if I stand here and hit there it'll spare the 10 pin every single time. No if's and buts! Same for every pin out there. It takes a little getting used to and even more practice. But it's definately a skill worth working for. Especially if you wanna take that 190 average to the next level!

Later Da Cowman!

i'm right handed, i use a reactive to spare the ten pin, all i do is flatten out my shoot and throw it across lane. eg, bowl straight at them i do this for all of my spares. i still get a bit of side movement. i find that it works for me but not all people are the same you must find what works for you...:D

I stick with the same ball and throw it flat and straight generally - don't get cute with it.

On the odd occasion when the lanes are a bit snappy I'll change to a shinier ball for 10's, 6's and 6-10's though.

Take the Lane out of PLAY! Learn to throw your spares straight. When the best in the world do it. And practically all the Pro's and Elite bowlers do it.
I'm not an elite bowler (by any stretch of the imagination), but I use the same technique - plastic ball for practically all spares. It reduces most variables, and another advantage is that I'm not forking out good money replacing my strike balls as often.

I think its important to be able to use every ball in your bag. Therefore i use whatever im using for my first shot to spare including the 10 pin. Even my plastic which i havent taken out of my bag in months. You need to be able to play all parts of the lane with all of your equipment.
It will make you a better player and be able to adjust to all conditions.
Phil

Thanks some good thoughts here, it seems everyone approaches it differently.

Back
Top Bottom