Seniors Tournaments

Anthony L

Tony Long
Hi All, just another subject l would like to get other bowlers ideas from and that is the format of the Seniors Classics and Cups etc... The Queensland and Canberra Events formats are as we know we bowl 18 games - 9 on the first day and 9 on the second day which in my opinion is a very good format rather than having to make the cut to the top whatever...From an interstate competitor it is very good and the reason is you get to bowl BOTH days. The other format (and l am aware that there are a lot of bowlers who prefer top whatever playoffs) is such that if an interstate bowler misses the cut he/she cant just go home and do some gardening they have to fill in a whole day waiting for there later flights home...Anyhow what are some of the thoughts of you other bowlers... Tony Long S.A. ;)

Tony you are correct. Thats why a long time ago we started a format where there was two cuts to give more bowlers value and also to allow more players to make the cut.
We had 12 games on day 1 and then 6 games to cut to the top whatever. Then matchplay final. This just gave players more games and two chances. I am not sure of the formats as this is my first year back and I haven't played in any as yet but I see your point.

Personally, I prefer to bowl both days, particularly if I have travelled interstate. I think it will encourage seniors to stay bowling competitively in tournaments and enjoying it, if they can travel away and the schedule is for bowling on both days.

12 games in one squad is a lot of games for the over 60s!! I know of quite a few bowlers who were travelling to the senior tournaments who have become disheartened because they do not make the cut, and have to stand around for a whole day feeling they have wasted their money and time. More participants = bigger prize fund and a great social weekend as well. With petrol prices rising, and therefore air fares increasing, we need to find a way to keep the seniors circuit going strongly.

Personally, I prefer to bowl both days, particularly if I have travelled interstate. I think it will encourage seniors to stay bowling competitively in tournaments and enjoying it, if they can travel away and the schedule is for bowling on both days.

12 games in one squad is a lot of games for the over 60s!! I know of quite a few bowlers who were travelling to the senior tournaments who have become disheartened because they do not make the cut, and have to stand around for a whole day feeling they have wasted their money and time. More participants = bigger prize fund and a great social weekend as well. With petrol prices rising, and therefore air fares increasing, we need to find a way to keep the seniors circuit going strongly.

Josie Adams

There are two points to be considered. If we have five "major" state senior events each year the format should be kept at a level that reflects their prestige and the best senior bowler regardless of age over that weekend will win the tournament. The combination of qualifying and matchplay is a true test of the bowlers ability. We can cut to ten and play nine games of matchplay.
It is very important to keep the other players' participation. I suggest that a separate event be conducted on the second day for those who do not make the cut even culminating in a top three step ladder.

I would suggest a 12 game qualifying on the Saturday, cut to 24 then 6 or 4 games Sunday and cut to 8 with 7 games matchplay to decide the winner. If your are going to have "majors" then they should all follow the same format and be standardised.
You don't want too many games as this erodes the prize funds so you need a happy medium. A little get together at the end is always a good thing.

twenban said:
I would suggest a 12 game qualifying on the Saturday, cut to 24 then 6 or 4 games Sunday and cut to 8 with 7 games matchplay to decide the winner. If your are going to have "majors" then they should all follow the same format and be standardised.
You don't want too many games as this erodes the prize funds so you need a happy medium. A little get together at the end is always a good thing.

Problems I see are that firstly, 12 games in one day is quite a lot, South Pacific only has 8, and secondly, the 4 or 6 games the next day usually only affect the 10th-14th places, thirdly, after the cuts you are leaving out more than half the bowlers.

I can see your point but if you have a separate event on the Sunday then this will add more cost to the weekend. I personally don't have an issue with any format, I was thinking of the majority of players and a cost balance.

I disagree with your thinking though that the extra games will only effect a few. If the competition is tight it could effect every one that makes the cut.

This now brings in lane conditions and another debate. If first is 500 ahead of say 16th then the lane conditions are one sided and suits only a few bowlers, which is bad for the game as a whole. But if the top 32 are within 100 then the extra games will be very exciting to both play in and watch.

If you want to make it prestigeous then you have to create pressure situations to make it a true test of ones ability. The SPC used to be a four day event with 23 games of match play plus a live televised final on the ABC. Also, there was a dinner on the Wednesday night with sweepers on the Tuesday and Wednesday to make it a week long event.

It just has to be balanced, have a vote on this forum and see what comes from it.

Back
Top Bottom