SA Cup Wrap Up

D

daniel

The 2005 South Australian Cup has taught us all many things – mainly, that fire can bring down a bowling centre, but it can never bring down the spirit of bowling, especially that surrounding Adelaide’s biggest tournament.

83 men traveled from every state in Australia to bowl at AMF Cross Road, the new home of the SA Cup, with an elimination final format which promised – and delivered – a great Sunday for the spectators to watch.

Paul Trotter couldn’t put a foot wrong on Saturday, shooting between 189 and 278 over his 12 games, and averaging 228.6 to finish as the highest qualifier.

Matt Kanafa, one of the youngest competitors in the event was the highest qualifying local bowler, finishing in 7th and averaging 215.5 over his 12 games. While he only made it to the 2nd round of the final, it’s impossible to doubt that Matt will succeed in the future.

“A gentleman of the game, and set to be one of the greats to watch,” said one of the highest qualifying bowlers over the weekend, an opinion that is bound to be shared by many alike.

The cut for the top 24 bowlers was +40, or a 203.3 average, with only the top 28 bowlers averaging over the card in qualifying.

Sunday was always going to be a spectacular day, and it certainly was – the gutsy move made to change the format seems accepted amongst the bowlers and the spectators alike, as Jason Belmonte stated “it’s a bit more interesting than watching fifteen games of matchplay.”

At the best of times it was hard to pick a winner, the elimination final resulting in some 3-2 wins, others 3-0 and a thrilling 2.5-2.5 between George Frilingos and Jarrod Lean in the Semi-Final round.

George Frilingos was the hardest worked bowler out there this weekend, rolling 31 games in total, 2 ahead of Jarrod Lean, with Belmonte bowling 28 games as the 3rd highest.

It was thought to be impossible – but somehow we had a finalist who wasn’t staying at Kanafa’s house! Belmonte vs Frilingos was the final showdown, an entertaining match up with some friendly rivalries on show.

George came out strong winning 235-201 in the first, but Belmonte fired back with 229 in the second, to George’s 204. “Belmo” put on a show in the third game, effortlessly rolling 11 out of 12 for a 279 game in the third, and he finished the forth game with a delivery more unexpected than Brando’s 7-10 pick up……

Mr Belmonte threw the ball one-handed!

To check out all of the scores, photos and multimedia click here. If you simply can’t comprehend Belmo bowling one-handed, download the video here

That was quite a good read. Thanks for that Daniel.

Later Da Cowman!

P.S. even though I have seen Belmo, now, chuck it one handed... I still can't comprehend it!

Daniel,
I clicked on your scores page (Qualifying & Elimination) but there's no scores on either page. Looks like they fell off the page somewhere :(

Not sure if the problem's at my end or not? :)

Cheers.

Tiger said:
Daniel,
I clicked on your scores page (Qualifying & Elimination) but there's no scores on either page. Looks like they fell off the page somewhere :(

Not sure if the problem's at my end or not? :)

Cheers.

Can others check? works fine my end.

I've used Firefox and IE, deleted cookies, deleted temp files ect ect ect......

STILL NO GO :(

Back
Top Bottom