Ritchie Rules Phoenix

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
It was a battle of youth against experience in the title match of the 2006 Motel 6 Phoenix Classic, and the fight wasn’t decided until the final frame.

Ritchie Allen, 27-years-old, defeated Del Ballard Jr., a PBA member since 1982, 232-207, to win his second career Denny’s PBA Tour title Sunday at AMF Christown Lanes.

Needing to mark in the 10th frame, Allen struck to cap an impressive comeback which found him behind through seven frames.

Allen, who had struck just once through the first six frames, credited the victory to a key ball change he made in the 6th frame.

“I was going to make a [ball] change a few weeks ago in Medford,” said Allen, referring to his 3rd place finish in the 2006 Earl Anthony Medford Classic. “I told myself not to doubt myself.”

Allen (Columbia, S.C.) fell behind early, striking just once and converting five spares over the first six frames while Ballard, appearing in his first title match since his 1993 U.S. Open win, struck four times over the same span.

Allen's ball change to a Track Threat swung the momentum of the match in his favor.

Allen advanced to his second career title match by defeating Brian Kretzer in the first semifinal, 215-192. Ballard defeated Mike DeVaney in the semifinals, 226-201.

Ballard (North Richland Hills, Texas) earned $20,000 for 2nd while DeVaney (Temecula, Calif.) and Kretzer (Dayton, Ohio) earned $10,000 apiece for their respective 3rd and 4th place finishes.

The Denny’s PBA Tour heads to Trussville, Ala., for the 2006 Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Classic, Jan. 25-29 at Lightning Strikes. The live ESPN televised finals take place Sunday, Jan. 29 at 12:30 p.m. EST, with the winner taking home the $40,000 top prize and an exemption for the 2006-07 season.

Notes: Allen said he changed balls in the 6th frame because the first ball he was using, a Track Heat Blast, was "hooking too much and it was too strong."

When asked if this win as special as his first, Allen commented, "Dreams come true with the first show but careers start with your second."

Denny’s PBA Tour
2006 Motel 6 Phoenix Classic
AMF Christown Lanes
Phoenix, Ariz.
Sunday, Jan. 22

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

Pos. Name, Hometown Total/Games Money
1. Ritchie Allen, Columbia, S.C. 447 (2 games) $40,000
2. Del Ballard Jr., North Richland Hills, Texas 433 (2 games) $20,000
3. Mike DeVaney, Temecula, Calif. 201 (1 game) $10,000
4. Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio 192 (1 game) $10,000

SCORES – In the semifinals, Allen def. Kretzer, 215-192, and Ballard def. DeVaney, 226-201; and in the final, Allen def. Ballard, 232-207.

This is Allen’s second career Denny’s PBA Tour title.

Info : www.pba.com

Frosty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom