Rachuig Trophy Survey - Remember the 2009 Ash Riley Speech

CSP

To All Tournament Players,

TBA are conducting a survey on the TBA website titled Walter Rachuig Trophy Survey. I ask all tournament players that have played Rachuig in the past, recently played Rachuig (2010), who never have played Rachuig to answer the questions in the survey and add some comments at the completion of answering the questions about the Rachuig Trophy.

Let's hope that with the answers from you all that the current format stays to keep one of our major events it's prestige and history for future years even forever.

The passion that is shown by the Kiwi's (2010), Paul Trotter & his Vic's (every year), The Queenslander Chant yelled out by my mate's from Queensland every year should not die!

The determination to win and create history by the Kiwi's in 2010 should not die!

The domination of Queensland ladies in 2010 & future years (possibly) should not die!

The history of titles that NSW Men & Women have won in the past should not die!

To All Tournament Players,

TBA are conducting a survey on the TBA website titled Walter Rachuig Trophy Survey. I ask all tournament players that have played Rachuig in the past, recently played Rachuig (2010), who never have played Rachuig to answer the questions in the survey and add some comments at the completion of answering the questions about the Rachuig Trophy.

Let's hope that with the answers from you all that the current format stays to keep one of our major events it's prestige and history for future years even forever.

The passion that is shown by the Kiwi's (2010), Paul Trotter & his Vic's (every year), The Queenslander Chant yelled out by my mate's from Queensland every year should not die!

The determination to win and create history by the Kiwi's in 2010 should not die!

The domination of Queensland ladies in 2010 & future years (possibly) should not die!

The history of titles that NSW Men & Women have won in the past should not die!

Christian

100% correct

Love your passion mate

But Manly , are you serious !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Cheers
Geoff

Here here Christian,

Rachuig is a unique event that allows highs and lows from game to game and can really chew a player up and spit you out when you're just a little off. Perversly this is one of the things that makes it so special. Lets work on the development and building of what we have rather than change it and prevent future generations from aspiring to records like the Ash Rileys, Ann Marees, Frawleys, Guersters, Cricks...and so on.

Maybe a change to later in the afternoon so people can come from school/ work to watch (generate interest) or over a weekend might help, certainly some subsidies if they are available wouldn't hurt. But leave the overall 5 man team head to head format be....

I too totally agree with the sentiments of this thread. As a two time Rachuig participant I also think it should remain the same in order to ensure all future generations of bowlers in this country can aspire to emulate the feats of those who came before them.

Having just come off the annual Dunn Shield event in Melbourne on the weekend. [For all those who don't know: this event is a five person team head to head scratch event held between all AMF centres in Melbourne with each team fielding a roster of seven bowlers. All seven bowlers must have bowled seven games by the end of Game 10 or the team is disqualified. Points are 1 point for bowler head to head and and 1 for the team head to head and also Peterson points whereby each 50 pins is worth 1 point.] The five man team format is alive and well so I don't believe their is any cause to change the Rachuig event.

Cost is the major factor I believe that prevents more poeple attempting to qualify for their respective state sides. Red tape as far as having to do this and this and this in order to be eligible to roll off is also another thing hurting the event so don't forget to jump on the TBA website and fill out the survey. Lets hope the TBA listen.

Im not good enough for Rachuig but loved bowling the similar head to head format in the old DeVeer days. Tried the new format for the Restricted Team for the first year. Hated it and have not bowled nationals since. Did not have the same atmosphere of bowling against all teams and fighting to win your point or the team points. Have filled in the survey.

I also agree with what Christian said.

Ive completed the survey.
Rachuig shouldnt change.
It is such a fantastic event. Ive never had so much passion for something in my whole life.
The non bowlers (and my international bowling friends) that I have told about it think it sounds awesome...so lets keep it going and not change a thing!

I filled out the survey (even though I am not a tournament bowler) as I have been involved in the admin of Rachuig Teams for many many years, and in that time I have been on the receiving end of a fair amount of feedback.

One of the major complaints from non-participants is "Why should I fork out all that money and maybe not even get to bowl?"
Somewhat valid, and can only be fixed by the additional stipulation that each team member has to bowl x amount of games.

I'm in two minds about this personally, but it would increase the number of participants and it would place a lot more pressure on the Coach or who-ever inputs the lineup.

I wouldnt make any other changes, other than to return to the 7 person team however I have always believed that Rachuig needs prize money. It is our premier competition and we need to be realistic about the fact that in this day and age, Love alone just doesnt cut it.

50% New Participants. I am sure that if you where not at the Rachuig Dinner then the Stat may not be known. But it was Announced.. All the Teams where Full.. Tell me off another tournament where there are 50% New participants ready to step in when numbers are down?

Leave the Format alone, lets work on the state based issues of Cost and Participation which in my mind do not require a format change to correct...

Oh BTW did I mention 50% new participants....

Cheers

Morty

Morty, Mr. 50% new participants.

Rachuig use to be made up of the best of the best from each state, and especially our state you needed a good 200+ average to make.

Tell me is that the same now, or it really doen't matter the level of comp.

Our girls team was made up this year of 2 SA bowlers and the rest from interstate.

Is that good?

I never have liked the draft policy, state of Origin in my books to be a true state team. But I suppose these days when it is tough to find local bowler you need to do what ever it takes...right?

cheers

tony

No Strop, thats Not Good that SA only had 2 women. However I would ask the Further Question? What Initiates dose SA have in Place at A State level to find your next Generation of State Reps? Do you have any programs Running that Support and Develop these Bowlers to the level Required?

I have ideas on the Top Level Competitors, they would not be popular. With Regards to the Draft... I am Pretty Sure that the Draft was used in Both the Seniors and restricted so what makes that format any better then the Rachuig Format when it comes to Participation. Did all the Highest Ranking Seniors Bowl in the Seniors Challenge? I don't know? Perhaps you can shed light on that .. i know that you did bowl the Seniors Cup because you where required to to get points to make the national Seniors team. Why is that not the same in the Open Division

The Seniors, as Was clearly pointed out at the Dinner, are the largest of the Groups inside the Tenpin bowling Ranks and even so the Draft was still required.. what I am Saying is it is not the Format that is the Problem...

Development of Participation is the Issue! Changing the Format is not going to correct issues at a State level? I just would hate to see a Significant Piece of Bowling History lost on the Premise that Changing the Format will solve All the Problems.

And yes there was 50% New participants. :)

Morty

Did all the Highest Ranking Seniors Bowl in the Seniors Challenge? I don't know? Perhaps you can shed light on that ..

I was actually refering to Rachuig, not the Seniors as far as getting the best bowlers in the state to bowl, as this is what i think the tournament was designed for.

As far as i know there is programs set in place to catch the younger bowler, and to develop them into fine top bowlers. I find these days the problem is keeping there interest in the game to stay on into the adult ranks.

As far as rachuig format, bring back peterson points as well as games won and lost.

Tony

Hi Strop, Understand fully what you were staying, BUT Everyone is Focused on the Format Change bring those players back to the Table.. I was commenting that the format change that has been suggested for a couple of years now is running in Restricted and seniors... Both Competitions Use the Draft. I also commented that not all the Top Ranking Seniors Bowl in that Format...

What I am suggesting that regardless of the Format Not all the Top Players as you have called them are going to Bowl... As for you needed a 200+ average to make the team.. Over Forty of the men in the Rachuig Comp had Averages Above 200 Some Pretty healthy.. ( I am Aware that Conditions Have Played to part to that ) But what I am saying is I am not sure that it is a fore gone conclusion that the competition is necessarily as Soft as everyone seems to imply. Yes it would be awesome if more of the Top 10 Ranking players participated but that don’t at this stage we need to try and address this but not at the expense of the 100’s of players that have participated over the years in the Current format… We also need to be careful that even if every change was taken it is no certainty that they would participate then.

As for you think there are programs in place, Are there?, Dose your state have a Development Squad do Current Rachuig Players Give up their time to participate in these development activities. We are fortunate that both Brian and Kate who are Rachuig Players and Carl (who is Just CARL) participate heavily in the Development Camps. Hence the Strong Pool of Players that we Draw from.. Even with all this work it is still hard work to get numbers to the Roll Offs…

What I am saying is that it is not the Format. It is at the State level that we need to work to develop players for all competitions not just Rachuig. Leave the Format alone … Until we have addressed the more widely spread participation and development issues…

Just my Thoughts.. :)

Morty

the issue is getting more bowlers involved in state level bowling,

How do you do this????

I have some ideas, (Some of which are already in place)

there needs to be a state based training squad (already in place)

there needs to be a way of getting the mums and dads and people less financial involved that couldnt be involved due to money and time restrictions

there needs to be more coaching and support for bowlers wanting to stay at a higher level and also for those bowlers that want to improve. this would need to be promoted.

There needs to be a way of bringing up juniours to keep progressing through the ranks of state teams and high level bowling and keep thier enthusiasm even after thier parents stop paying for thier bowling.

all of the points I just made there is one common factor in each of them MONEY,

I still to this day (8 years on) cant get my head around the fact there is no one designated to state based promotions and publicity, without publicity and promotions how can you bring in funding????? in the last year I have only seen ten pin bowling promoted on any media once (apart from amf advertising) and that was for the special olympics bowling.

From a tassie point of view there needs to be more media exposia (TV, Radio and newspaper) this will in time bring more money to this sport in the way of sponsorship. this in tern may bring the funding through to the state based training squads, help the kids afford to step up and continue on and proggress.

There needs to be more school based promotion for kids to get involved and get the want to take bowling seriously and still have fun and improve at the same time.

The promotion im talking about needs to aim people at bowling as a sport and not a place to just spend lots of money on having a social game of bowling and playing on the arcade machines.

I think it was when I was in quensland there was the bowling show on tv, this i am sure is part of the fact QLD have quite a strong and deep level of talent in thier state (as Morty noted) along with people that have one thing in mind promoting and building quality bowlers in thier state.

if state based AFL, soccer, golf, cricket, lawn bowles and hockey can do it why cant bowling do it??

Just my thoughts,

Elliot Renshaw(Annies husband)

With my minimal involvement in the sport these days I still see many bowlers that could/should make Rachuig, however money and time off work appears to be the major problem for these talented people. Many of these up and coming bowlers are either on a low wage, studying or are young mother. Long gone are the days of airfares provided by the ATBC.
Excess bagage is also an added burden.
I have no solution but Rachuig must never die.
I have been a long term member (since day one) of the ATBSO which is full to the gunnels with current and ex Rachuig bowlers and am now of the opinion that for the sake of our great game it is now time for the ATBSO & the TBA to approach the round table and talk turkey. There are many a brilliant mind in our ranks, I am sure we can find at least a start to the solution to save our beloved Game and the unique Rachuig competition, complete with Petersen Points.
KJ

Well said Keith.............

Cheers

Tony

P.S. Here's to the good old days (woop's did i say that out loud....:)

I am with Morty on several issues. I have been travelling to Rachuig for many years as a coach. This event is a unique event, the only one of its kind in the world. I travel throughout Asia on many occasions and am asked how another country could get into this event. Other countries want to do what New Zealand has been able to do. The event has longevity in its current format. Ask the players who do bowl Rachuig not the players who don't. The States have to take a good long look at themselves in regards to costs and internal matters - develop programs, coaches, athlete pathways, roll off dates, criteria to compete. Like Morty I spend 3 weeks at Nationals with our teams and like WA and NQ we pay year after year to travel at high costs but we love attending and that is our choice. States and Territories can make Rachuig what it is for their bowlers with promotion and state issues before you get to Nationals. Ask the 400 and 300 gamers about Rachuig and yes I filled out the survey as well because I am equally as passionate about this event as the players.

Well said June. I appreciate the thoughts from a coach and just not the players. Let's hope the results keep the Rachuig event the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom