PBA US Open

Here's an excerpt from the PBA site with some further details after the second round of qualifying at the PBA US Open ...

Brad Angelo has quietly been one of the most consistent bowlers on the Denny’s PBA Tour this season, he just hasn’t had enough breaks go his way to get him over the hump.

He’s hoping they all fall into place this week in the most prestigious tournament of the season.

Angelo averaged 231.67 Wednesday to take the overall lead after two days with a 2,663 12-game pinfall in the 65th Denny’s U.S. Open at Brunswick Zone Carolier, the fourth Major and final event of the 2007-08 season.

The 38-year-old Angelo, who is still looking for his first title, has made match play in 14 of the 16 events he’s bowled this season, only missing in last week’s GEICO Classic and the season-opening United States Bowling Congress (USBC) Masters. In between, he’s posted one runner-up finish and suffered many tough breaks.

After averaging 212.17 on the fresh oil on Tuesday night, Angelo came out on the burned up oil on the second squad Wednesday, shooting 230 or better in five of his six games including a 265 in game two.

“I had a very good day. (Brunswick ball rep) Rick (Benoit) had found something in my release during our practice session on Monday and that was certainly a key element in yesterday and today,” Angelo said. “It’s definitely worked out really well and I guess I’ll just keep riding the wave and keep thinking about that. The tournament is not even half over but I have to admit, it is nice to see my name at the top of the leader board.”

Finishing second behind Angelo was Australian sensation Jason Belmonte, a two-hander widely recognized as one of the top bowlers in the world. Belmonte averaged 217.50 on Tuesday after a 222.50 average Wednesday and will look to become the second Aussie this season to make a PBA championship round. Fellow Australian National Team member Andrew Frawley finished fourth in the Denny’s World Championship.

Following the nine-game block Friday morning, the field will be cut down to 24 bowlers for round robin match play, which starts Friday evening and runs through Saturday.

This is how the PBA itself describes the condition...

"The United States Open Pattern features the toughest lane oil design in all of bowling. The U.S. Open condition is a "flat" oil pattern with equal oil being placed on each board, gutter to gutter. Premium shotmaking and precision accuracy are required to conquer this difficult condition."

Pleased to say, it seems Belmo's blog after Day One was spot on ...

"Anyway, I'm off to a good start and I hope I can keep the luck going my way."

cheers,

lc

Norm Duke wins US Open

NORM DUKE REIGNS! $100,000 U.S OPEN WINNER!
Bowling News USA - 3/30/2008

THIS JUST IN!

STORM STAFFER NORM DUKE HAS WON THE 65TH U.S OPEN WITH A VICTORY OVER MIKA KOIVUNIEMI IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH 224 - 216. IT WAS DUKE'S FIRST U.S OPEN VICTORY, 28TH TITLE OF HIS CAREER AND FOURTH MAJOR. DUKE IS THE FIFTH BOWLER IN PBA HISTORY TO WIN BOWLING'S TRIPLE CROWN. FIRST PLACE WAS $100,000. DUKE USED THE STORM SHIFT ON THE TELECAST. STAY POSTED FOR THE COMPLETE STORY FROM CAROLIER LANES IN NEW JERSEY!

Back
Top Bottom