Paul Delany -18th 300 game.

Loose Cannon

Bowlers always have time to spare.
w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/2041858/striking-it-lucky/?cs=149

He's travelled throughout the whole pursing the sport, but Paul Delany has never seen bowling take-off like it has in Wagga.

Since Wagga Bowl and Diner opened in December 2012, patrons have not only knocked the pins down, but the doors as well.

There are now midweek competitions running Monday through Thursday as well as a special needs league on Saturday morning.

The former coach of the Kuwait national team Delany has been amazed the sport has garnered in the city.

"I came to Wagga the day before we opened and I've been around a lot of bowling centres and this is by far the busiest I've ever been involved in," he said.

"I've been involved England, Ireland, Kuwait, the Middle East and Asia and this has been received fantastically."

With 307 league members, Delany estimated there are between 24-40 people competing in the each of the six leagues throughout the week with a mix of singles, doubles, team, scratch and handicap leagues available.

With Wagga's bowlers who used to travel to Albury and Griffith when the city didn't have any facilities returning to the fold and the new centre continuing to blossom Wagga has once again spread its wings in the sport.

Wagga has entered a team in the Mid Country Championships competing in the south-west division of the tournament in Canberra on February 1.

The city has enjoyed success in the competition in the past and Delany is aware there is a lot of prestige to uphold on the team's return.

"I don't think we will win it first but there are ten guys and five women that are all excited," Delany said.

Delany has also put his name into the record books this week, becoming to first person to bowl the perfect game at the new centre.

"I've bowled 17 300s previously, but that was in another lifetime," Delany said.

"I used to represent England as a junior, but since then I haven't bowled as much."

Michelle Lonsdale went close previously scoring 279 with 11 strikes and a nine pin spare, but mid-game Delany knew he was onto something special even telling his opponent his that the magical score could be on the cards.

"... I actually mentioned to Greg (Sleiman) I was feeling pretty good about it and before I knew it I had seven strikes in a row and I started to feel a little bit of the pressure, but I threw the ball pretty good," Delany said.

"There is a certain amount of luck involved in any time you throw a perfect game as you can throw a very good shot and one pin can stand up, but they all happened to fall that game."

Congrats Paul D,

Leading from the front.

A great guy and someone with great vision in bowling.

Well done !!!

Cheers
Jon King

Back
Top Bottom