No thumb rule change.

I agree and think that GRIP needs to be defined as: "Any finger/thumb that is penetrating the original surface of the ball (i.e. by a finger hole or thumb hole)".

Centre of GRIP: "The centre-most point of all finger/thumb hole/s (combined) being used at the time of delivery" *insert diagram here*

And now USBC decides that extra high leverage drillings like motion hole and double thumb are available only if you put your thumb in.
Jason

While technically you cannot drill a double thumb, you can get the same dynamics with a bigger hole since you don't have to worry about hitting the thumbhole. Ditto the mohole - without worrying about hitting the bottom of the thumbhole, you can do some seriously nasty things to the dynamics of a ball with an 8" deep hole. Get a bit extension.
I'll say it again - to an imaginative driller, there are MORE options open to no thumbers with regard to accessible layouts than those with a thumbhole. Especially on symmetric balls.

But the rules don't mention the grip

(b) Not more than one (1) ounce difference between the sides to the right and left of the finger holes or between the sides in front and back of the finger holes

But the rule don't mention the grip so why would it need defining

(b) Not more than one (1) ounce difference between the sides to the right and left of the finger holes or between the sides in front and back of the finger holes

It does not say when the thumb has to be in the ball except during the delivery. The delivery starts when you are set on the approach in my eyes. Just an early thumb release if people want to get technical.

USBC Rule 4a States the delivery occurs when the ball, and I quote, "leaves the player's possession and crosses the foul line into playing territory"

As Tenpin Bowling Australia follow World Tenpin Bowling Association for the rules here is what WTBA have stated...

Last week USBC announced they will change their specifications saying that “Any thumb hole that is not used for gripping purposes during the delivery would be classified as a balance hole.”

WTBA has not yet made any decision to change that rule. The issue will be studied by WTBA Technical Committee.

For your information: WTBA will not change this rule prior to January 1, 2015.

Let's all wait for the WTBA to make a decision...

Brenton I had the thought the other day (dangerous I know) that if your using 2 hands your centre of grip is actually between your 2
hands (centre of the ball). I think they need to expand on the definition of GRIP. As Jason Doust said a Picture speaks a 1000 words
and will be open to less interpretation. I agree that as it stand now your centre of grip is defined as the mid point of your gripping holes.

How many one handed bowlers start their approach with only their bowling hand in the ball and their other hand/ arm by their side?

All 1 handed bowlers start with only 1 hand in the ball.
Nobody I know starts with an arm by their side.

what's your point ? are you trying to say there is no difference between 1 hand and 2 ?

Ok now all the HATERS can go back to SLEEP
And come back after Christmas

My point is that one handed bowlers use their non bowling hand to support the ball... This was in response to the statement that centre of grip for a 2 handed bowler should be between the 2 hands on the ball...

All 1 handed bowlers start with only 1 hand in the ball.
Nobody I know starts with an arm by their side.

what's your point ? are you trying to say there is no difference between 1 hand and 2 ?

All 2 handed bowlers start with 2 fingers in the ball... They dont have holes drilled for left and right hands... As for my point... See above...

In my recent experience, it's remarkable how many of these young guys that have been doing the two handed thing fro a few years can now just put their thumb back in and throw it great. Their legs and upper body muscles now know what leverage feels like and they can just do it. I've seen a couple now that with about 20 minutes coaching, are off to the races. Same release, with a tighter control on the swing. (They didn't really want to, but I thank them for their participation in my little experiment.) All this rule may do is force their hand and create a bunch more young guys who can throw it right around everyone.

Now that'd be a nice unintended consequence!

Back
Top Bottom