Mental Toughness Study involving Tenpin Bowling

carlin_lee

Hi Everyone,

I am conducting a study as part of a Masters program at Victoria University.

This study aims to develop an understanding of what “mental toughness” is for tenpin bowlers and what are important aspects of mental toughness in tenpin bowling. Although it has longed been used by athletes and coaches, mental toughness is the latest new area of research in sport psychology. It is widely used in sport arenas, and yet mental toughness is one of the least understood terms in the field of sport psychology. Results of this study will lead to clearer understanding of the construct of mental toughness.

In this project, the Mental Toughness Inventory will be used to measure tenpin bowlers’ mental toughness levels. We will also measure bowlers’ performance from looking at their bowling results over 10 weeks. The inventory and weekly results are done and recorded online.

If you are interested in this study, and wishes to participate or have any questions about it, please send me an email at [email protected].

A reply email will be sent to you with the instructions, password and weblinks to the inventory and weekly results input.

Cheers
Carlin Lee

Hi Hooligan,

I did not receive any email. Probably there's something wrong with the mail system.

Could you email again at [email protected] or send me your email via PM?

I will get back to you asap. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.

Carlin

Hi Everyone,

I can't emphasise enough how important sport science research is to the SPORT of tenpin bowling. The more research conducted on the sport, the more credibility tenpin bowling will have in the future.

I'm not directly involved in this study, but to my knowledge, your involvement in this study will only take about 30 total minutes (15 minutes to complete the questionnaire and about 15 minutes to input your 3 games per week for 10 weeks). Not very much time committment for more credibility for the sport.

This study is unique from a research perspective because no researchers have investigated mental toughness within tenpin bowling.

So please bowlers, get behind this initiative! I'm sure that Carlin will provide general results to bowlers after the study has been conducted and you may even learn about mental toughness characteristics that you may have (or need) along the way for a more competitive advantage.

Chris

I am participating in this.

It helps out a fellow bowler, doesn't take much time (and everyone who knows me knows I don't have much time) and it's interesting to watch your results when you become more observant of your thought processes. Especially under the whip.

I'd recommend it.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks to those who are currently participating in this research; however, I still need more participants. Current count is only 15. I need an approximate of 80 to 120 participants for this study.
It doesn't take long. Just about 15 min for the questionnaire, and providing your weekly league/practice results for 10 weeks, which is really fast too (it is just 3 numbers to input).

Thanks in advance for everyone else who wishes to help out!!

Carlin

Carlin,
Maybe you could also post this on one of the American bowling forums, some of those have a HUGE membership base.

To those reading who aren't doing it, I am and it really only takes 1 minute per week to do.

Thanks Hooligan and Roysa.

Currently I'm looking at the Australian population only. It may become quite complicated if it spreads all over the world. But Thanks for the advice!

Hi Everyone,

There are have several changes to the study, thanks to this forum. One of which is a reduction from 10 weeks to 5 weeks, so it should be much easier now to manage for those who may be considering over this.

So if anyone is interested, please send me a PM or email me at [email protected]

Carlin

Hi Everyone,

I really do need more participants taking part in the study to have a better understanding of mental toughness in tenpin bowling. So anyone who has some time to spare and is bowling on a weekly basis, please contact me via PM or email me at [email protected]

Many Thanks
Carlin

Hi Everyone,

Before this post vanishes into the tons and tons of other posts, I would like to thank everyone who has participated. However, I am still in need of participants, as I need a minimum of 100.

So please PM or email me and I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks
Carlin

I doubt you will find 100 people on here with enough mental ability to be of any value to your study :)

It need not to be those with strong mental game (or those who perceived themselves as having a strong mental game). Actually to get the most accurate results, it would be best to have participants of varying bowling abilities and mental abilities.

Hence everyone and anyone is welcome, from people who just started to learn bowling to those representing the nation.

Carlin

I encourage people to participate in this survey. It's very thought provoking. You'll get a lot more out of it than you put into it and it only take a few minutes of your thought and effort each week.

Back
Top Bottom