Mechanic dies in a bowling machine accident

First thing I was ever taught when I started as a Tech.... PULL THE PLUGS IF ENTERING THE MACHINE.

Circuit breakers have been known to fail.

I know on our old 30's, there was 1 or 2 machines that you could turn all the switches off, and the machine could still come to life, due to one of the relays (from memory PR5) arcing and fusing itself closed.

Just wanting to repeat this:

The machine was off, no doubt about it.

Read the quote in my previous post, it wasnt the fact that the machine was not turned off properly, or not unplugged or whatever, its just that he tried to save time and just hit the pin out of the table rather than crank it down. Then the spring tension let rip and pushed a table cup into his throat.

Terrible accident, and caused by him skipping a step to save time and it caused his death. BUT the step he skipped was not the turning off of the machine, which he DID do, as the manager who was working at the time said, but the fact that he didnt crank it and release the tension on the table and of course, the pin.

We've just had a visit from O.H.& S. after my casual -23 y.o. and nearly 3 yrs exp- tried to fix a machine while it was still operating and cut his thumb open.All to save the bowlers being inconvenienced. We now have to start fitting guards to certain areas of the machines.
When the inspector walked thru the side door to the machine area his eyes lit up when he saw the "openness" of the machines.
As much as we don't want to see the machines covered in guards, like Enfield machines were, eventually it will happen. We have to remember we are working on machines, that in my case are 44 years old, which are not anywhere near compliant with todays regulations. We all know that it will happen,it's just a question of when!
In the meantime, WORK SAFE, WORK SMART. And refresh all of your techs on safety procedures.

know how it feels, pressure from front end/bowlers to get machines up and running quickly jammed finger/hands due to trying to take shortcuts .
Not all machines in the bowling indusrty are the same ,social bowlers at certain times can be the worst enermy dont care just keep trying to put baals down while you in machine repairing them

i send my condolences to the friends and family

hi guys i too know all the dangers associated with 82-70s i worked on them for seven years.Obviously he's come in from the front and turned off the masking unit switch then the main power,then assuming it was a rear pin, stuck his head/body in too reach it,yanked on it and hasn't got out of the way quick enough and it's sprung up.I've done that many a time through my own stupidity and it only takes a split second for tragedy to happen. bottom line is he should have cranked it down.Quick question has anyone worked on 82-30s??????

Back
Top Bottom